Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Coffee & breastfeeding Rss

Hi

I am an avid coffee drinker (espresso variety not instant) and gave it up during pregnancy. I have been breastfeeding my daughter for almost 6 months and was hoping to start drinking coffee again! I would like to hear from any mums who have been drinking coffee while breastfeeding and if it affected the baby's behaviour in any way (i.e. fussiness, inability to sleep -??).

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

I've only heard about too much caffeine can give them wind.
Maybe start gradually and see if it affects your bub in anyway.
Kristy

member since 2004

Hi there,

I drank tea and coffee when breastfeeding my daughter and had no problems at all. I think the key is moderation... don't suddenly drink 10 cups of coffee a day. With my daughter she reacted very badly if I ate anything with chocolate in it, so I quickly learn't to avoid chocolate while I was breastfeeding... much to this chocolate lovers sadness.

Michelle.
I also gave up coffee while I was pregnant, but not while breastfeeding. I have about 2 cups of instant per day. My daughter has no side affects at all. She is a very calm, well slept baby.

Pamela, SA, mum to Lisa 23.10.03

I drank coffee through the pregnancy and while breasfeeding and no fussy behaviour. She's overly active, but that's a good thing, not a bad thing. I think she's how she would have been, had i not been drinking it anyway. The only time i didn't drink it was the first 5 months of pregnancy when nothing would stay down, so i didn't bother. After that i was drinking it as much as ever.

mother to Hannah born August 9 2003

Hi

I am an avid coffee drinker (espresso variety not instant) and gave it up during pregnancy. I have been breastfeeding my daughter for almost 6 months and was hoping to start drinking coffee again! I would like to hear from any mums who have been drinking coffee while breastfeeding and if it affected the baby's behaviour in any way (i.e. fussiness, inability to sleep -??).

Ive been wondering the same thing. My little one is 2 weeks old today. I continued to drink coffee everyday durosing my prregnancy - 1 to 2 cups/day. I only drink esspresso so for the first week after coming home from hospital I had no time to go out and get one. the last week my husband has been bringing me one. It may be coincidence but the last week has been a really restless one with my newborn. has me wondering whether its the coffee??? might try to avoid it for a couple of weeks - see if it makes any difference?????
l changed to de-caf whilst pregnant and breastfeeding. Every now and then l have a 'real' coffee and every time l have, DD is harder to settle at night. It's too much of a coincidence for me to ignore!

I used to drink about 3 cups of espresso/day but cut down to one cup of weak, instant coffee whilst pregnant (once my morning sickness settled). I continued to drink one cup per day whilst breastfeeding initially and then when my son was about 4 months old I had a really bad week with him not sleeping well and I had 2 cups for a few days. He became really irritable, and I'm not sure if it was related to the caffeine but he had an unexplained episode of supraventricular tachycardia (very fast heart rate). He's been seen by a cardiologist and has had numerous tests and scans and they can't find anything wrong and think it was just a one off. I switched to decaf anyway and found the woolies brand is actually drinkable.
Sign in to follow this topic