Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Introducing Formula Rss

My daughter is 4 and a half months old and I want to start to introduce formula. She took Karicare ok last week, but when I tried again this week she spat it out. I havn't been too regular in trying yet as I am still in two minds about introducing formula but I intend to have her on formula at 6 months. Any tips on how to get babies to accept formula and the best way to wean from the breast.

Thanks
Leanne

Leanne, NZ, Ella age 2 & Sam age 6months

Hey there,
I dont know if its the best way but i substituted 1 feed a day for the bottle for a couple of days and so on, i have used karicare for my 3 and only 1 liked it the first time. Ive tried heaps of teats and found that they liked the fat pigeon ones ( all babies different though so dont buy heaps) Just keep trying with the bottle maybe once a day. hope that helps a little
Look this may sound a bit tough, but l found it the best way, after stragerling for a month or so, replacing feeds hear and there. I decided to cut breast out all together when my son was 6 month. I offered him the formula a couple of times, all he did was cry and cry and cry. It was heart breaking, but l didn't give him the breast, this went on for most of the day, a couple of sips from the bottle but thats it. That same afternoon he took the bottle and has never looked back. Soon after he refused the breast. Through out this day l gave him water and normal solids. I discussed this way of doing it with my maternal nurse, she was very encouraging and asured me that it would not hurt him in any way.
I also used the fat pigeon teats, there great.

Hope this helps. Just keep on trying.
My son is now in day care and l have been working on a part time basis for 5 month, could not have done it if he was still on the breast.

Nathalie

Nat, Melbourne

Thanks for that advice. Formula is quite a different texture to breast milk so its understandable she isn't too sure about it. I will just keep trying. I think I want to do it gradually in case it disagrees with her.

Thanks again

I forgot to say she has no problem taking the bottle as she has an expressed bottle every night and has done that since she was three weeks old.

Sign in to follow this topic