Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. How long does your baby feed for and how often???

How long does your baby feed for and how often??? Rss

Hi all,

I have a 16 week old baby boy and I was just wondering how long other babies feed for? (breastfeeding)

My baby only feeds for a total of 10mins, he feeds from both breasts. He likes to be feed every 3 hours, i have tried to stretch feeds out alittle (4 hourly) but my baby can't last through. I just wanted to know how other babies of similar age feed and how often?

Hope to hear from you soon.
Hi. I have a 5 month old baby girl and she has always taken no more than 15-20 minutes in total to feed from both breasts. She feeds every 3-5 hours, except at night, when she sleeps 10 hours. She was a very small baby, 5lbs 8oz (born on her due date) and is still quite small for her age therefore she doesn't need much to be full. How big is your boy? He will space out his feeds when he is ready. There is no norm so don't be concerned.

Emily 25/10/05

My 19 week old also feeds quickly, usually 10 to 15 minutes total. She does usually seem to drain the breasts though. She feeds about every three hours also. Breastmilk is digested quickly within about 1 and a half hours so i figure its ok if they feed three hourly. I give her a bottle of expressed milk at night of about 180 ml and she can last 8 to 10 hours overnight.

Hope this helps

Take Care

Leanne, NZ, Ella age 2 & Sam age 6months

I only fed bub for 3weeks because he fed for 5hours straight from both breasts and I was lucky to get a 2hr break!
It was very stressing and he wasnt putting on weight! So be thankful ur bub is in a pretty good feeding pattern!

2 more sleeps

Hi when my daughter was first born she would feed every 3 hours and would suck for 1/2 hour and that normally came her going to the next feed but it sounds like your son is doing what my daugther did and also I got told that babys only need 10 mins of mums milk for protein and all the rest is for comfy just to be with mum so I wouldnt worry but if you arent to sure just ask your GP about it.

Keep up the great job and chat soon.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

My daughter, 5 months, was only feeding for 4 mins! also 3 hourly. This worried me as she would refuse any more and I didnt think she could be getting anywhere near enough. The doctor told me that some babies feed more efficiently than others and that it was impossible to compare one baby to another. When I was feeding my now 4 year old, she was feeding for 20 mins.
Sign in to follow this topic