Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. When is the best time to express milk?

When is the best time to express milk? Lock Rss

Hi,
I have a four month old baby and I would like to try expressing breastmilk. I am wondering when is the best time to express, (my baby is feeding 3 hourly). Also when I express will this mean that there will not be as much milk for my baby at his next feed?
Best time to express is after morning feeds. Only express off what bubs doesn't drink. Don't be surprised if this isn't much (20-30mls). Freeze this in the freezer (deep freeze or freezer that has a separate door to the fridge is the best.) As you expressed after the next feed cool it down in the fridge and then add it to the bottle already in the freezer, until you have about 180mls which is about what a 4 motnh old drinks at one feed. If you express in the afternoon you will find that your supply will be to low at night, however expressing in the morning when you have had a sleep allows the body to re produce for the afternoon well. It will not affect the next feed. Go to The Breast Feeding Association of W.A (maybe of Australia) and they have a HUGE amount of information or Nagala. Go to google and type in breast feeding. Good Luck, Naomi
Hi when I have express breastmilk I have normally done it in the morning and I normally have a photo front of me to help the milk to came out and make it easlier.

Does your little boy take the bottle good at all?

Chat soon.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Sign in to follow this topic