Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Weaning - Need help! Lock Rss

Hi everyone,
My son is 9 and a half months and this week I decided to start weaning him off the breast onto formula. He has three feeds a day so i chose to start with the lunch feed, so I'm still breastfeeding him night and early morning. I've discussed this with the clinic nurse and she said that the way I'll go about it will be fine i.e. taking it really slow.
I started yesterday and he has had 2 formula feeds and at both feeds the most I can get him to have is 20ml each time. I'm getting really worried and scared as I don't want to jeopordise his health.
Do i keep going or do i top him up with a brestfeed?
If someone could help that would be fantastic!
Thanks Everyone smile

Bett, NSW, 2 boys & Twins 19.2.08

some formulas are more filling than breastmilk. so i wouldnt worry too much about only having 20mls.
if you top him up with a bf i think this may defeat the whole weaning off thing.

i am no expert but i reckon keep going how you have been and if hes still hungry i am sure he will let you know. also its a new taste for him too.
when i weaned my daughter off the boob she was off within 9days. she had more interest in the bottle and holding it herself than the breast.
at 9mths he'd be eating solids so i wouldnt think is health should be a worry for you.

dont be worried or scared babys always let you know when they want food. smile smile

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Hi Flinstones

My baby is also 9 1/2 months old and I have just finished weaning from breast to formula. It was not smooth sailing as she, like your baby, would only drink small amounts of formula at first.

I began to get concerned about this as I didn't want her to get dehydrated etc and spoke to my clinic nurse who offered the following advice:

1. She said to perservere and baby will most likely eventually drink more.
2. She said to offer formula before and after solids so that she could get used to it.
3. In the meantime offer lots of water in between and after meals as well as ensure that she was offered high calcium and iron rich foods for her solids to compensate for lack of formula (I gave cheese snacks and mixed fruit with yoghurt for breakfast and plenty of red meat).
4. If baby will only drink small amounts in long term offer extra bottles (ie morning and afternoon tea) to ensure that they drink 600ml a day.
5. Put formula in cereal and mashed veges etc.

I am happy to say that I did nearly all of these things and my baby is now happily drinking 4 x 150ml bottles a day with out any fuss! I never thought it would happen but now that I look back on it, it only really took two weeks!

Hope this helps.
Good Luck
Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Hi Chelby and Ashleesmum,
Thanks for your replies.
As it turns out he took 20mls for the first two days and for the last three days he's taken anywhere between 100 - 180mls so I'm really happy.
I'm glad I didn't top him up with a bf as when I sat down to think about it I realised that it would defeat the purpose.
I was going to change each feed a fortnight at a time but I'm loving the freedom this is giving me so I might speed things up. My boobs seem to be adjusting easily enough.
So once again thanks for your replies you've been great smile

Bett, NSW, 2 boys & Twins 19.2.08

Sign in to follow this topic