Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

How to prepare formula Lock Rss

Hi there
I'm new to formula and woud like to know if it's ok to prepare the formula then put it in the fridge and then reheat it later. Also how long can a bottle of formula last in the fridge?
Thanks wink

Belinda, VIC, Baby Mia

This is what I was told.....

Yes, it's okay to prepare formula and put it in the fridge. It can last 24hours. You have to store prepared formula in the middle of the fridge right at the back. This is the coldest part of the fridge. Never on the fridge door. I bought masking tape and put the date and time on each bottle, that way you are always sure exactly how old the milk is.

Hope that helps.
Hi there
I have been formula feeding for 3 months and I use S26. I boil the kettle twice at about 2pm and then put it in a tupperware container in the fridge. It takes approx 1hr -1.5hrs to cool. I already have my bottles sterilised in Milton. I then take the container out of the fridge at about 3.30pm, fill all 5 bottles and then add the formula. The formula is a lot easier to mix in when the water is luke warm. Then i put in the middle of the fridge. I also make sure there is enough left in the tupperware container to make another formula just in case. It works out that they are all drunk within 24 hours.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you need to know anything else.
Good luck

Julie, SA, mum to Thomas born 21/11/05

Hi,

I make up all bottles at once and store in fridge once a day.

When reheating dont heat in microwave it can kill the 'good fats' in the formula which help bubs gain weight.

It is ok to do this if you are stuck or out etc but you should always heat bottles in a warmer or put bottle in a jug of water which has just been boiled to heat.

Just make up as per directions on the formula tin in sterilised bottles and teats and you are on your way!

Just a tip - when out and about we take a thermos which has boiled water in it to heat bubs bottles saves trying to look for somewhere to heat bottle.

Also if you havent seen them yet, you can buy little containers that are designed with compartments in them to store formula while out and about. You just fill each individual compartment with the correct scoops of formula for the bottle and mix when out. That way formula is fresh as it can only be kept for a couple of hours at room temp.
This is how I prepare formula, always fresh and super quick.

Place boiled water in all bottles enough for one day and keep a thermos of hot boiled water handy. When you need to make a bottle just pour the hot water into the cooled water bottle to the right temp and add formula. Saves heaps of time, don't have to wait for a bottle to reheat and a feed ready in 30 secs. Handy for those middle of night feeds.

Mum to Aidan 20 Jan 04 and Georgia 10 Nov 05

Now that DD only has 3 bottles i make them up as i go. However before that i use to make all her bottles up for the next day at night and put them in the fridge. The are ok for 24hrs in the fridge and probably ok made up out of the fridge for a few hours (as long as it isn't hot of course). However if bubs hasn't finished the bottle in an hour after first offering it to them you will need to discard as bacteria can form on the formula.

2 Perfect Girls Catherine7/8/05 & Mirelle17/10/07

Just a few tips....

Your not suppose to heat the milk in a microwave. It kills the goodness and also heats it unevenly. Your suppose to put the whole bottle in a saucepan of hot water for 5 minutes.

Formula keeps in the fridge pre-prepared for 24hrs.
Store in main area at back not in the door.

Formula should only be left at room temperature for 1 hour.

NEVER add the formula to the boiling water. It kills the good stuff. Always add it once water has cooled.

Hope this helps?

Emily 25/10/05

Sign in to follow this topic