Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. When did you start to 'enjoy' BF?

When did you start to 'enjoy' BF? Lock Rss

As you can see by my ticker I've only been at it for a few days but I'm just not getting into it.

DS is a fantastic feeder, I just have very tender nipples and feel very achy. I'm assuming I feel like that cos my body is still recovering from labour. I've had mastitis before and I would be really sick by now.

This is all new to me cos I put up with feeling like crap and bleeding nipples for 10 weeks with DD until I changed to bottles. I would love to continue BF but only if I know I'm going to feel better cos I had PND last time and don't want to head down that path.

So please tell me it gets better!!!

Lisa, get some Lansinoh cream, you put it on before and after feeds, doesn't affect the baby and helps you heal.
You could be tender because Zeke might not be attaching properly? Maybe call ABA for some advice?
After a couple of weeks it does get easier, bubs learns through practise how best to attach, and once your milk settles down, soon all you will have to do is point Zeke in the direction of your boobs and he will do the rest.
GBH xxx

1 monkey, 1 diva = the love of my life

Thanx Naomi. I had the midwife out today and she is happy with everything. His attatchment is great and they are actually healing. I think they just need to toughen up as I've never successfully BF before. It's mainly this achiness and general feeling like crap.

I'm thinking it may be shopping withdrawals PMSL. I'm forcing myself to get some R&R at home this week but I'm desperate to get out LOL.

lol getting out would probably help.

Have you tried different positions, I remember with Dominik after 2 weeks, it hurt when I fed on one side, so I tried football feeding. With his mouth in a different spot it helped.
Glad Zeke is doing so well.

1 monkey, 1 diva = the love of my life

I was a crying mess four days after having DS1 because b/f was so painful and I couldn't understand why such a natural thing as breastfeeding could hurt so much. My SIL introduced me to Lansinoh and it saved my life! I have leaky boobs and had to wear breastpads the whole time I breastfed so that's 22 months in total with both my boys so that's annoying but it was worth it in the end... it was definitely easier second time round.

All the best. Congrats on your new baby.

Too be completly honest its only been in the last 2 weeks and my dd is 4 months

I have never had any real issues but i found it to be so demanding. Especially with all other issues you have as a first time mum.

Im finally at the point i find it easier and have no intention of giving up...

Just take it one month at a time.

Ive hit the 3 month mark now im hoping to get to 6 months with no troubles

Good luck it does get better

I BF for 5 weeks before my milk dried up and I hated every second of it. My breasts were sore 24/7, like hot needles sore (and no, it wasn't mastitis).

I'm going to try and BF again this time around and hopefully it won't be as bad as it was with DD, but if it is, well, I'm not going to beat myself up as much about it if I need to switch to bottles.

Don't get me wrong, I had heaps of help, DVDs, consultations the whole shebang - but I had a daughter who had a condition that made feeding difficult combined with low milk supply (not to mention the constant pain) so it just wasn't meant to be.

I do wish you all the best of luck, and hope I have a better run this time too!
First congrats on the new arrival.

And yes it does get easier.

DD is 16wks old and truely it is only in the last month i have started to enjoy feeding her.

I was unable to feed my ds past 10wks due to the damage he did to me so this is all new to me. I have had to use nipple shields up until a week or so ago and still occassionally use them. but today i found myself watching dd and thinking how nice it is that i'm still feeding her. my goal now is 6mths or 1st tooth which ever happens first. Will re evaluate things then.

i''''m baking a baby

The first 6 weeks is hell. It hurts, but if you can make it through 6 weeks you'll feed for as long as you like. That was my little mantra that I told myself every day! A friend told me that the first 6 weeks is the hardest, so I was determined to get through it.

Agree with a pp - Lasinoh cream is the only nipple cream that works and it is a miracle cream!

I used Lasinoh before and after every feed, and avoided having cracked nipples. When it was really too much pain and I couldn't face the next feed I used a nipple sheild. They say not to use them etc etc but I say that if it helps you to get through the painful bit then it helps you to become a successful breast-feeder. So why not??

Anything that helps you get through babe! and I SWEAR by the Lasinoh! GO AND GET SOME!!!! smile

Congrats on the new arrival,

with my first one I suffered with sore nipples for around 1 month, and with my second one who is 6 weeks old now I had sore nipples for around 3 weeks.
I have used the lanisoh cream for my first one but with the second one I just beared the pain.

Best of luck with BF

i agree with the use of nipple shields no word of a lie dd has used one EVERY SINGLE FEED from 3 days old until she was 14 wks. Now we only use then for the first feed of the day cause she can't latch onto the huge morning boobs lol.

i''''m baking a baby

Thanx heaps for your replies guys. I do feel better knowing that it's normal to feel like this. Was beginning to think that if I hate it now I'll never have that lovely bonding enjoyment that most mothers rave about when BF.

As I said, the nipples are healing so I guess I'll just persist.

Sign in to follow this topic