Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Please help - desparate! Lock Rss

My five month old started fussing at the bottle about a month ago, he went from generally having his quota (roughly 180mls) every four hours to dropping 20-30mls occasionally. I wasnt too concerned as I know a baby will eat when they are hungry.

In the last three weeks this problem has progressively gotten worse, by worse I mean he was only having on average about 80mls per feed every four hours. I took him to the Dr's and because he wasnt dehydrated or showing any major signs of illness the doctor passed it off and told me to see the Child health nurse about it as he didnt know why he was doing it but no cause for a Paediatrician at this point.

So I tearily trudged home and tryed a different formula and different teats, no luck. Now in the past two days he has dropped to 40mls per feed. The Child health nurse came to see us, weighed him in at almost 1kg less than 9 days before and viewed him feeding and wants him referred to a Paediatrician ASAP, she was very kind but said it was an unusual case and had no answers and that it was something not to be ignored and to watch for dehydration signs. He is being assessed by the speech pathologist next week to make sure there is nothing mechanical about the problem i.e. tongue tie or problems with suck/swallow reflex. He is being treated for reflux with medication also.

So ladies (and gentlemen), I sit here very worried about my little man, nobody has any answers yet and I am stressed he will end up in hospital by the end of the weekend if he dosnt pick up. If any of you have experienced this hunger strike to this extreme or have heard of anyone else please let me know your thoughts as I feel very helpless and lost for answers. Thanking you in advance - Katie

Christopher 08/10/05 William 30/12/08

my DD did this for two weeks awhile ago, however it wasnt as bad, she only lost 200 grams, i dunno how it was that little though because she was only taking 50mls each feed. we went to the doctor & everything & he couldn't figure out what the matter was & then one morning a lil tooth had popped through & she was straight back to normal! i had a friend whos bub got as bad as yours, he went into hosp for dehydration & his was teething as well. so hopefully thats whats happening with your lil man : )
Hi Mrsnemo,

I am on the same boat. My son is 6 months old, and has been fussing at the bottle for about a month now. He sometimes only takes 40/50mls each feed. I tried everything as well. Also he has a runny nose now, just makes it even harder. I tried different doctors and nurses.. nobody really has the right answer yet. And today I talked to the nurse and she believes my son has reflux, cos he drinks very aggresively at the start each feed and soon after he will start crying and refuse to take the bottle. I have him on the medication as well for that, and will keep you updated.

I also booked in to see my paediatrician as well for the end of month. My son also lost 400 grams in last couple weeks. And he was always on 75th% growth chart, now he is below 50th%. So I totally understand how you feel. Most of the time, I feel like I am going totally crazy.

Lets fingers crossed and hope everything will be back to normal.
Hi my twins were born @ 35w5d & had very little suck reflex that didnt get much better until they were about 9mths so have a good idea of what you are going through. If you have seen someone about this & think it is resolved I'm glad but if not hope i mite come up with a few ideas for you. at this stage i would drop feeds down to every 2 hrs or when hungry, but if only taking 50mls then would offer every 2hrs. I went out & brought every different type of teat, Fast/slow/medium/nuk/tommy ect & just kept trying diff ones for a few days to see if that helped & sometimes yes somethines no & did find about 6mths they changed teat & then again at 9mths & 12mths. Also make sure top of bottle is not screwed on really tight, this does depend on what bottle u use, we used nuk tall skinny bottles & tommy as all the teats fit them other than wide ones. I found boys wouild stop drinking if they had to work to hard to get it but they didnt like fast flowing ones. Also try a reflux formula for a few days, if boys were a bit fussy I would do this & within 48hrs they would be feeding back to normal (our normal was at 6mths was still taking at least 30mins to drink I think about 90mls). Try keeping them stimulated by tickling under their chin to encourage the movement. If you are worried about getting enought fluid into them then try using a suringe or a sippy cup or mine loved these cups with straws but may still be a bit young.
Hope this helps feel free to PM me if you have any q.
Goodluck & hope this finds you with a bub feeding well.
Thank you all for your replies, it so much appreciated.

Well, on Sunday Will hadnt eaten for fourteen hours, I tried him in the morning and he only took twenty mls! He was so restless and tired so I put him to bed and he went straight to sleep - I was determined if he didnt have a bottle at the next feed I would take him straight up to the hospital. Little man woke up at about 12 so I went in and tryed something different, I listened to his suck and watched his every move while he fed. Every time his suck went out of rythym or he squirmed even a tiny bit I took the bottle out of his mouth and let him have a breath it took about 40 minutes to feed him but HE DOWNED THE WHOLE BOTTLE! And proceeded to do that for the next three. This morning he only had sixty mls but my three year old came in and asked me something and i got distracted and sure enough he got full of wind and wouldnt take anymore. So now my question is does that suggest he has a poor suck/swallow reflex? Or would it more be a breathing issue? I notice he breathes a little harder and then his suck goes out of sync and BAM he chucks a paddy and is full of wind. What do you think?

Christopher 08/10/05 William 30/12/08

Its like your talking about my little girl!! She is nearly 7 weeks old and she has been a terrible feeder since the day she was born. She was tongue-tied and had her tongue snipped while we were still in hospital. She just doesn't seem to be able to latch onto the bottle (and we have tried every kind of bottle and every kind of teat), you can hear her sucking and slurping away - she gets herself full of wind and just screams - it doesn't matter how starving she is I can't get another drop into her which is so frustrating when you see her mouthing round at the bottle, but as soon as she sucks and tries to swallow she screams. HELP!!!!

Max 14.02.2007, Isla 25.03.2009. Dunedin NZ

Its like your talking about my little girl!! She is nearly 7 weeks old and she has been a terrible feeder since the day she was born. She was tongue-tied and had her tongue snipped while we were still in hospital. She just doesn't seem to be able to latch onto the bottle (and we have tried every kind of bottle and every kind of teat), you can hear her sucking and slurping away - she gets herself full of wind and just screams - it doesn't matter how starving she is I can't get another drop into her which is so frustrating when you see her mouthing round at the bottle, but as soon as she sucks and tries to swallow she screams. HELP!!!!

Max 14.02.2007, Isla 25.03.2009. Dunedin NZ

Sign in to follow this topic