Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. changing to 6 month old formula

changing to 6 month old formula Lock Rss

Hi i was just wondering how to change from the birth to 6 month old formula to 6 month old and up?. do you just do it in 1 hit or change it over gradually?. My son is breastfed but he is topped up with 150ml of formula also. I still have a while to wait to do this but it's better to know before the time i think. I cannot remember how i did this with my daughter as she is now 5. She was also breastfed and top up fed with formula. I seem to have hungry babies.
Thank you in advance

Aleks, SA, 5yr old girl, 9yr old boy&bubs 10.4.04

you can just change or try half & half

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Thank you for your info. smile

Aleks, SA, 5yr old girl, 9yr old boy&bubs 10.4.04

I think I was told that you don't have to change to the 6month formula if you don't want to...either is fine for baby. Anyway....I think we just made sure that the taste was the same, and when we'd finished the tin, then we went on to the older baby formula. As far as I can remember, Naomi took it straight away, and there was no problem at all.
Hope this helps,
Georgina
i just went from one to the other . the main difference i found that the over 6mths formula seemed to be a bit more filling. she didnt seem to drink as much. if you stick to the same brand then it shouldn't make any difference to your baby at all. smile

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Hi

When I changed to the Follow On formula, I did it gradually. I started off with one feed of follow on a day for 3 days, then 2 feeds on follow on for 3 days, etc, and gradually built it up till my baby was fully on the Follow on.

I have heard that some babies can get constipated if you change too quickly. Thankfully that didn't happen with my son.

Good luck.

Debs, NZ, Mum to Rory born 19/01/04

I was told to change it gradually but when I gave it to my daughter for the first time she LOOOOOVED it and it filled her up so much more so I just gave her the 6mths plus one!

I guess it depends on a lot on ur baby but i would change gradually just to see how he goes with it!

Milli Teen Mummy 2 Shantilli Memphius

Sign in to follow this topic