Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Routine for 8 month old. And going to 3 bottles?

Routine for 8 month old. And going to 3 bottles? Lock Rss

Hi Ladies
I was wondering if everyone can please show me what your routines are for your 8 month old?
The reason Im asking is that my ds doesnt seem to want to drink much milk anymore. He was having 4 bottles (offered him 270mls) and would drink about 210mls in each bottle. Some times a bit more. But in the last week he doesnt seem to want much at all. He had been sick but is better now. He is still happy and sleeping well. He is only drink all up I would say about 550-600mls which is meant to be the correct amount anyway. But this means I think he only wants 3 bottles now. So today this is how it has gone so far.

7am milk
8:30am breakfast
11:30 lunch and bottle with juice
1:pm snack
2pm: bottle
then he will have dinner at 5:30 and bottle at 7 and bed..

but this is just for today. He didnt even drink much of his bottle at 2pm. only about 150mils.

I had tried offering him breakfast before his morning bottle but he didnt like this and then he didnt drink much of his bottle.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks alot smile
Hi there,

DD2 is now 9 months old, but was in the same routine when she was 8 months as well:

7:30am - Bottle (240mls)
9am - Breakfast
10am to 12noon - Sleep
12:30ish - Lunch
2pm - Bottle (180mls)
2:30pm to 4:30pm - Sleep
5pm - Dinner
7pm - Bottle (240mls)
7:30pm - Bedtime

Hope this helps you a little bit. Both my girls put themselves in similar routines from about 4 months of age. Feeding times have varied of course, but the structure has remained the same. Good luck smile]

thanks heaps for your reply and your advice smile Sounds pretty similar to how our day went today. I have trouble tho with his sleeps as sometimes he will have a long morning one and a short arvo one. or the other way around so i never know what his going to do each day.
Do your girls drink water from a sippy cup or anything throughout the day? and do u offer snacks in between meals?
I saw ur post on the other topic with the 11 month old.
My ds has been drinking his own bottles for almost 2 month now. His very independant. But i dont have handles on the bottle. Should I?
Also i have bought a few different sippy cups, the toppy tipee ones. the heinz one and the nubee one. But I find he just chews on the spouts and it goes all over him.So today i just gave him a bottle with juice. Although i know bottles with juice can be bad for their teeth. So what do u do or others do? Thanks heaps smile
My DD#3 is 8mths on the 23rd, although she is breast fed her routine is...
6.30am- breastfeed
8am- breakfast, and sometimes a breastfeed for a drink
9am-11am- sleep, breastfeed when awake
12pm- lunch, sippy cup w/ water
2pm- breastfeed and sleep
4pm- awake and breastfeed
5pm- dinner, sippy cup w/ water
6pm- top up feed and into bed.
Also feeds through the night.

She isnt really eating much at her meals tho...
Maybe skip the bottle of juice, it is really not needed. Just empty calories filling him up. Water in a sippy cup is fine, my DD has a few different ones but is best with take'n'toss ones (big w, target etc) or loves to have sips out of my glass.

DD#1- 2004, DD#2 -2006, DD#3 -23/10/08.

Hey again,

To answer some of your questions;

DD2 (Lara) has a sippy cup that I always leave within her reach so she can help herself during the day. I only have water in it. I use mainly Avent bottles, cups etc as they're pretty universal and the handles fit on all the different products in their range.

For snacks, I give her things like apple, bananas, cruskits, dry biscuits, yoghurt, etc. Sometimes in btwn meals, if she hasn't had her usual long sleep.

I wouldn't worry too much about the handles on the bottle if he's already holding them himself. Lara holds hers with or without them as well.

With the chewing on the spout, have you tried the Avent cups with the soft spout? I find they don't tend to spill out as much (due to the antiflow back valve) but even when Lara chews on them. Otherwise, maybe try a bib on him when he drinks?

Hope I've helped a bit. If you have any more questions, feel free to post back smile]

My DS is 8 months and Im having the same issue, he has suddenly dropped from 6 bottles a day to 3 bottles. I am feeding him more food now though to make up for it. His routine is similiar to yours.
My DS wont drink juice and I was worried about him not getting enough fluids, so I make my own jelly from gelatine and watered down apple juice, and he loves it, that way he still gets fluids inbetween bottles.
He only has 3 bottles now, all 180ml..he sleeps fine and seems fine.
Maybe your baby is just putting himself into his own routine, and he is eating properly so doesnt need the milk?
I know I havent been much help but thought I would let ya know that its normal smile
I went out and bought the avent sippy cup. Thankgod i did this as my ds can actually drink properly out of it and doesnt spill anything on him. smile so thanks for ur advice.

He is now on 3 bottles a day. Although he still doesnt see, to want milk that much. he does well on the morning and evening bottles but only drinks about 150mls at lunch. His eating very well on solids and is generally happy and sleeping well. smile
my dd stopped drinking her 240ml bottle she only has one 240ml bottle a day the rest are 180ml
her routine is

8am breakfast weetbix or yoghurt and fruit
9-9.30 180ml bottle
11-11.30 lunch
between 12.00 to 1.30 bottle 180ml
5.30 dinner
7.00 bottle and bed
up until a 5 days ago she was waking about 10.30 11.00 for a bottle but she stopped it on her own and now sleep through (bonus)
my mum is suprised i don't give her a bottle when she wakes up but she woke drink them so she is getting enough when she wants. she also has 2 snack through the day of 1 teething rusk.
just let him lead you

[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb2f.lilypie.c

you know thats funny. My mum says the same thing. That when we wake up we want a drink. And so does our baby. But I have found if i give my ds breakfast first he is fairly cranky and then doesnt drink alot of his milk as his full on breakfast..so i dunno!
My 8mnth old has just done the same thing, since 3months old, I was feeding him at 9:30 so he would sleep through, and all of a sudden he isn't taking any at that time, so now only has 3bottles (210mls) he goes to bed at 7 and doesn't get up til 8:30-9 and I feel like he isn't getting enough and it's stressing me out... he is also a very chucky baby but doesn't have reflux and doesn't eat a lot of solids
My 8mnth old has just done the same thing, since 3months old, I was feeding him at 9:30 so he would sleep through, and all of a sudden he isn't taking any at that time, so now only has 3bottles (210mls) he goes to bed at 7 and doesn't get up til 8:30-9 and I feel like he isn't getting enough and it's stressing me out... he is also a very chucky baby but doesn't have reflux and doesn't eat a lot of solids
When my DS was 8 months his routine was

7am - bottle
7:30am toast or wheetbix
8:30 am fruit
12pm sandwich sometime macaroni and cheese + fruit
Snacks in between
4pm bottle
6pm dinner
8pm bottle and bed

Now his 13months and on 2 bottles with the same routine now but he sleeps a extra hour xx hope that helps
Sign in to follow this topic