Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Breastfeeding and Smoking Lock Rss

I am curious as to what the effects are on baby if u breast feed and smoke.

I quit when i found out i was pregnant (around 30weeks) and have had a few on and off recently (maybe last two weeks) and DD is 3months old.

I know it's bad but does anyone know anything about it???

DD#1 - 3.7yrs, DD#2 -20mnths, DD#3 is here! 21.08.

As far as I know it has the same affects as smoking while pregnant. Even if you werent breast feeding, whilst you carry them around they will be breathing in the smoke on your clothes - which cant be good for their poor little lungs!
Dont want to tell you what to do but obviously the best thing would be not to smoke at all - for your daughters sake

Jacquie, Mummy to Bailey, Tijana & Kaitlyn

I am an ex smoker who also quit when i found out that i was pregnant - My son is now 9 months old. The main thing is that you are still breast feeding giving your dd all the nutrients and anti bodies that she needs but the adverse effects are the increased risk of sids, respiratory illnesses as the nicotine and other poisons in the ciggies are absorbed by bub through the breast milk. Google the topic and you'll find so much information that should answer all the questions you have.

Rachel, QLD mum of Zaki 21 months

Hi,

I am an ex-smoker as well, quit when I found out I was pregnant @ 8 weeks and honestly I miss it as well and have been known to sneak 1 recently since stopping the B/Fs. My partner is a smoker and I know what its like to hug him or smell him after he has had a ciggie, the smell is very strong even for me.
The danger is the harmfull chemicals that the baby is breathing in and ingesting through breast milk. Its almost like passive smoking I would imagine.
If you want to smoke I would just limit your direct contact with bubs around this time, maybe after they have gone to bed and all the obvious like not in the car or in the house with baby.

Anyway just a thought!
Take care.

Im a ex smoker and I dont miss it at all but my partner still smokes and it gets up my noise and I cant breath but I think it wouldnt be healthy for the little one if you were smoking on and off and especially breastfeeding.

Have you ask you GP about smoking while breastfeeding?

Chat soon.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Sign in to follow this topic