Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

teething and breastfeeding Rss

Hi my princess is 9months and her two bottom teeth are coming through. I am in pain at the moment as she has changed her feeding technique to grab the nipple instead of the whole breast. I have started alternating her between breast and formula. I have never used formula before and am feeling a little dissappointed in myself has anyone else suffered this guilt and how did you you cope and how long till you could breastfeed properly again. Thanks heaps
Hi sweetiepie my daughter who is 10 months old and she has got a botton teeth that is breaking the skin and I can feel it when I put gel on her gems and now I can even feel it when im feeding her and now she is starting to bite me abit and god it hurts big time and I know how you a feeling im thinking about putting Jaye onto the bottle but Jaye hates bottles big time.

I dont know what to say to help you cause im going though the same thing with Jaye but im going to try to stick to breastfeeding and at the same time try to get Jaye to take the bottle so I can give her formula.

Good luck and I know how you feel and dont feel guilty at all cause sometimes things change and we have to do it for our babys or for yourselfs and we a both in the same boat.

Chat soon.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Hi sweetiepie, sorry to hear that your in pain. It can make you feel pretty miserable huh?!

My bub got her two bottom teeth about a month ago and my boobs got really sore as she adjusted to having her first little pearly whites. I've persevered with breastfeeding for as long as I could but she has now developed a biting habit (which she thinks is hilarious!).

I thought long and hard about whether to put her on the bottle and felt so guilty about doing it but after a couple of weeks of substituting 2 feeds a day with formula, I can see that she is still the healthy, happy bub that she's always been which makes it much easier.

Whatever you do don't feel disappointed in yourself, you're doing a great job - to breastfeed for 9months is excellent, you should be really proud of yourself smile

Rachel, WA, Isabella 15/10/05

My DS got his first 2 bottom teeth together at 4 mths, it was at about 6 mths that he started biting (now having 4 teeth, 2 top, 2 bottom) I would remove him from the breast and raise my voice saying "no" and placing him on the floor, or off my lap. It startled him, and he stopped. A week later he bit me again, and drew blood from the under side of my nipple. (Big OUCH). I smacked (that's probably not the right word) him with two fingers on the cheek and told him "no" (big loud voice) at the same time and he never bit again. Yes he did cry. But didn't bit anymore. I successfully breastfed until he self weaned at 15mths. He also hated the bottle, never took one.

I hope this may be of some help.

Thankyou all so much for your kind words of encouragement. Today I have managed to get one and a half bottles down which was enough to give myself a break. Its great to know that other mums out there have been through this as well.
Sign in to follow this topic