Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Tablets to dry milk up, or to stop it coming in to start with..

Tablets to dry milk up, or to stop it coming in to start with.. Rss

Anyone taken them? I took some last time when I had Hailey, but after she was born, so perhaps a week or two after, just to dry the milk up. They said it is used to prevent it coming in aswell.

Im not sure if it was a coincidence or not, but i took them for about 2 days adn i got major tummy cramps, cant be too sure if it was from these or not though?!

Think they started with a B, but cant remember!

What have you taken? And were you able to take it in hospital?

3 Little Ones to Love.....

Ok I am going to ask a really stupid question and I don't mean to cause offence I am genuinely wondering!

BUT if you don't feed bubs your colostrum does the milk still come in?

Like I said its probably a stupid question but I always thought you had to stimulate the milk supply?
I didnt feed DD2 at all and the hossy doesnt give tablets to dry up milk, they said too many side effects usually outweigh the discomfort of milk coming in.

I didnt give colostrum with her, and my milk still came in and by day 3 they were so full and sore! It took about 2-3 weeks to ease off completely and to feel comfortable again.

But for me this was something i had to do that time.

Jess, the milk comes in anyway.

Mummy to 3, I got my last lot from my GP after i was let out of hospital, i couldnt bare the pain from the milk being there! The tablets did dry it up within the 1.5-2days of being on them though, which was great. But just wondered if it REALLY did stop milk coming in.

I dont fancy the cramps again in my tummy! Im a wuss!

Cool thanks for the answers ladies, like I said I was genuinely curious and Bec there was no judgement, I just always thought that they always say you need to stimulate the milk supply so I t hought if you never fed it might not come in!

Good Luck Spunky, I still remember what it was like stopping abrubtly when DS was 3wks old, it is the most uncomfortable feeling!
You could just feed, then you wouldn't have to worry about taking an artificial chemical to stop your body doing something it is supposed to do, and depriving a baby of vital nurtients that nature intended for it.

DS 3 and Booby Monster Boo 18mths

Posted by: ~BOB~
You could just feed, then you wouldn't have to worry about taking an artificial chemical to stop your body doing something it is supposed to do, and depriving a baby of vital nurtients that nature intended for it.

Im not interested in Breast Feeding thanks smile]

Anyone else got a name of what they have used?

I know I used a lot of tablets to increase my supply like Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle. Fenugreek actually started drying up my milk so thats why I changed.

I had a quick look in cupboard for the tablets I used to stop feeding my DD at 12 months and can't find it, sorry!

I know it was from the Naturals place, if I remember correctly on the back it goes on about sinuses, although you can use it for other things.

Hopefully you find out soon smile

DS 06 & DD 08

spunks i think it is inevitable that your milk will come in, but when i stopped feeding Coops i just let it dry naturally, wasn't uncomfy at all, although it took a few weeks.

Hmm, i really didn't help at all did i? lol

Noblewolf, i had mine somewhere too, more so for referance for the next bubba, but i must have thrown them out cos they were out of date!

Zebby, they have said that it stops milk production, but not sure how long you have to take them after the birth.

I was in complete agony when i had Hannah with all the milk! It took about a good 3 weeks to go away too! i hated it!

There is a medication called bromocriptine (brand name Parlodel) which will stop the supply coming in. (it's actually used to treat high levels of Prolactin.

I wont be BFing this baby either - but hadn't looked into meds to stop the milk coming in (hadn't thought about it until this thread)...

Spunky - just don't let anyone question your choices, or make you feel pressured into BFing, and dont let them make you feel like a big bad ogre for not BFing...
This is your choice - you have your reasons, nobody elses opinion matters.

Good Luck with everything!
I was about to say Maxalon then i remembered that does the opposite it INCREASES ur milk supply... cant really help other than telling you what not to take...lol

Sign in to follow this topic