Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Why the big issue with Breast vs Formula

Why the big issue with Breast vs Formula Rss

Hi all
Im just wondering what the big deal is all about.
There are so many threads about breast vs formula and there seems to be so much drama over it.

Who cares!!!!!!!!! A mother will chose to feed her child in the way that she feels fit and it is no one elses business but her own!!

Its sooooo sad that such judgement is passed over this issue.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages - let it be the mothers choice.

Good on all mothers for making the decision on how you feed your baby - All that matters is that you are feeding them!!!!!!!!!

Niki

Rileys Mum - 11 months

I so agree with you!
I tried to breastfeed with my first child and after 4 weeks i couldnt do it anymore and reluctantly put her on formula. I gave myself a really hard time about it and felt like a failure. When i had my second child i thought long and hard about feeding and decided before he was born that i would give breastfeeding a try and if it didnt work then use formula. I breastfeed for 5 weeks and started having problems, i decided then and there that i was not going to put myself through all that mental heartache again and put him on the bottle.
I have learnt that it is up to me to feed my baby and no matter how that happens he will get fed.
I am with you, Good on all mothers who do what they feel is best for their little ones, after all we know them the best!

pam,nsw, 13 months and 4 yo

AGREED!!

Enough is enough, a baby will grow up and be themselves regardless of how they have been fed!

Kirsty

hi there.
im not, i repeat not trying to start anything, i was just curious as to what the disadvantages to breastfeeding are?
violet

Charlie 5, Imee 3, Laura 13mths, and ttc #4!

I agree, as long as your baby is feeding well who cares? I never realised there was such a drama associated with breast/bottle until I joined this site. I went into it thinking if I can do it I will if I cant do it I wont - I never let anyone elses opinion weigh me down.

We should all be greatful that our little ones are happily feeding, growing and are healthy. I am sure there are many familys out there who are not as fortunate. So wich ever way you do it, I am just pleased for you and me that we dont have any other problems associated with feeding.

Its unfortunate that there is such negativity attached to this selection of posts.

I hope all our babys contiue to feed and thrive smile

why the big issue? because it is a HUGE issue for so many mothers.
most women start out wanting to breastfeed, and while studies show that women who physically can't breastfeed are rare, many women feel they can't breastfeed and breastfeeding rates drop off sharply between birth and six months. how sad that so many mothers who want to breastfeed can't. i agree it should be the mothers choice, and when that choice is to breastfeed she needs the right support and education to make that happen.

breast or bottle isn't a simple 'choice' to be made between two equally good feeding methods. most people realise that breastfeeding is a living fluid, it changes composition to be the perfect food for your baby in a way that formula just can't.
for many mums using formula is not a choice but a compromise, something that has to be done when breastfeeding doesn't work out, this is all too common when mothers recieve incorrect advice or do not have any breastfeeding support.

this is something that can be changed. mothers have the right to have up to date information and practical support for establishing breastfeeding.

yes, the bottom line is our babies are being fed. it is not fair to put the 'guilt' and responsibility onto the mother who has very often tried her hardest to make it work, rather there is a bigger issue of changing our society, our medical support, our attitudes and expectations of motherhood.

this is just one part of the huge issue of 'breast-bottle' for me. (yes everything can be argued to have it's advantages disadvantages....)
then there is the marketing of formula milks.......

so in a round about way, i agree happy mum happy bub smile .as long as we are not insulting each other and judging each other , i get a lot out of reading about everyones experiences. for all our differences, we have one thing in common, we are all mums who care.

mum of 3 girls

Sign in to follow this topic