Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

breastfeeding stigma Lock Rss

I have been bresetfeeding my son for the past 21 months, and on many occassions I have had other mothers telling me that I should have stopped by now, and that it is not beneficial to my son. These same mums have breastfed their own babies, although not for as long, so I can't understand why they are so discouraging.

When I called the Breastfeeding Association they stated that I should be breastfeeding my baby until he is 2 years old.

Nkechi, Sydney 2 year old son

Good on you for keeping it up!

Firstly, don't worry about what these other mums say. You know in your heart you're doing what your precious little one wants and needs. Be guided by that.

It IS beneficial for your son; these other mums just don't realise that.

Secondly, why not contact the ABA again and ask for details of Association playgroups in your area.

You'll find at these gatherings that b/feeding the little ones until 2 or 3 years of age is commonplace - and the support you get from these ladies for the great job I'm sure you do is fantastic.

I've got a son myself, and I plan to breastfeed him until he's 2 at least, unless he weans himself beforehand.

Deb, NSW, mum to Thomas

Hi everyone my daughter is breastfeed and she is 11 months old and I want to stop breastfeeding her when she is 12 months old cause I have to go back to work but I think it shouldnt matter what other people have to say cause the main thing is that you are comfortable with breastfeeding your son til you want to finish or when your son weans himself of the breast.

Everyone has their option on things and what you should be doing but at the end of the day if you want to keep breastfeeding your son til he is 2 years old go for it darl dont worry what other people have to say.

Keep going with breastfeeding and your son probably loves it feels close to you.

Chat soon.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Sign in to follow this topic