Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Self-weaning Rss

My seven month old son has just weaned himself and now wants nothing to do with my breasts. This coincides with the return of my period and him also having a head virus. Does anyone know if either of these two factors would contribute to his weaning. Although I'm glad he made the transition with little fuss, I was not quite ready to stop feeding just yet.

Karyn, NZ, Jack 13/02/04

Hi Karyn my son did exactly the same thing when he was 10 months old. At the time he also had a head cold. Who knows, maybe it had something to do with him weaning himself. There hard to work out sometimes these little munchkins. Like you I wasn't ready to stop breastfeeding and continued to express for just over a month, in the hope he would eventually go back to it, i origanlly wanted to breastfeed him until he was 2 but he had other ideas. He is now 13 months old and I still miss the close bond you experience when you brestfeeding. I'm just gratefull i have a beautiful, healthy son.
Cheers!
Lynette.
Hi Lynette,
Jack has always had a bottle as well as the breast, and over the last few weeks the breast has been more for comfort rather than for nutrition so it is not surprising that he has decided he can do without it. Like you, I also enjoyed the closeness I had while breast feeding him. Anyone can give him a bottle but I was the only one who could breast feed him.

Karyn, NZ, Jack 13/02/04

The return of periods can alter the taste of the milk and some babies will be a bit funny for a while but they normally adjust. When I had my implanon put in I had one period and I don't know if it was a coincidence, but my little one was really fussing for a while but is fine now.

Sign in to follow this topic