Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

i don't now what to do Lock Rss

hello all, trey is now 7 and a half months and has decided he does not want the breast, i am finding it hard to give it up though i have cut down to one feed a day but i struggle to get him to take that one feed, i would just like to now if i am being silly or how did other mums emotionaly cop with giving up
Hey Shani, that is a tough one - you poor bubba. There is a lot of hormonal changes with weaning so that wouldn't be helping either. What about expressing? Would your bub take EBM from a bottle instead? Just thinking that might be a nice compromise. Chin up, 7 months is awesome - you have done a great job.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Shani,

I think you've done an awesome job to last this long...we only made it to 6 weeks...so I know what you mean about emotions. I felt like such a bad mum when we finally decided to go to formula full time.

Kazi's suggestion with EBM sounds like it might be a good one if you can express & if he'll take it.

Sorry I can't offer any other help, but just wanted you to know that you aren't alone with feeling like you can't cope emotionally when you have to stop.

hi shanip,

you must be going through so manyemotions right now. it sounds like you are reluctant to stop breastfeeding. have you tried anything to encourage trey to continue feeding? my dd had some issues with breast refusal once and i found the australian breastfeeding counsellors very helpful. with their encouragement and suggestions my dd returned to the breast . persevering was important for us, but my dd was a bit older so you may want to contact them yourself to get information specifacally for you.

there is no way you are being silly, it is difficult not to take it personally when bubs refuse to feed, it is not personal, there can be lots of different reasons behind breast refusal or early weaning and many mothers feel reluctant to give up that very special relationship that they have while they are breastfeeding.
i fed my dd's until 24mths and still felt sadness at weaning, a bittersweet time as it signals a big part of babyhood is ending and the 'baby' is growing up.

good luck with it all, smile

mum of 3 girls

Hi Shani,

I am currently going through the same thing. I just posted a message tonight as well. My little boy is 7 months and I too am going through seperation anxiety so I can't really give you advice but I can certainly give you sympathy and support. It is a huge decision which is never taken lightly and when you are ready you will do what is best for you and bub..... 7 and a half months is definately a brilliant start so be proud and enjoy your beautiful bub ( I should take my own advice)

Kezz x

Kezz, Qld,Maddy 11, Jai 3 & Mia 7 weeks

Hi shani, my first son self weaned at 7mths, No matter what i did he never went back to breastfeeding, emotionally it was hell, I kept thinking it was all my fault and I should of done something different. But my DH pointed out that I was still his mummy, so from then on I just enjoyed him- everytime I fed him solids it helped ease the heartache over stopping breastfeeding.
My echn told me at the time that he just wanted to be independant- holding the bottle or cup himself so yeah just let your instincts guide you, maybe he will like it again

goodluck and congrats on a good job so far

Hi Shanip,

I stopped breastfeeding at 7 months also, but continued to express once a day since my little irl didn't really want to feed any longer from me. Just a couple of sucks and that was it she had had enough each time I tried (twice a day). I was pretty happy to make it to 6 months, that was my intention from the start and anything after that was a bonus. I found that when I was expressing once a day my supply diminished pretty quickly and 2 days ago was the first time I couldn't express anything. I found it a little hard emotionally to give it up, though I eventually did come to enjoy breastfeeding it got harder when she became more distracted and having 6 teeth (4 top and 2 bottom) certainly didn't help things either! (biting wasn't an issue though thankfully). You will find that most of the time, your baby will wean themselves when you you not ready to give it up!

You aren't being silly about this, think of it as you have done such a great job raising and looking after your little one that the 'graduation' from breast feeding to eating solids and drinking wate, juice, formula is a natural development and a credit to you.You have done fantastic to have made it to 7 months and to those out there who are still going, well done, to those who didn't make it so far, still well done!

Hope this helps,

SJ
Sign in to follow this topic