Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Period returning Rss

Just wondering how soon did everyone's period return after weaning your little ones from breastfeeding?

It has only been a couple of days since I stopped bf and i am having cramps which feel very similar to period pain and wondered if my period was already on its way? I am still on the mini pill too and does anyone know if I should be going onto another contraceptive pill now that I am not bf?
My period returned and has been regular since DD was 3.5 months old... and she was fully breastfed then until 5.5 months and is still on more than 4 breast feeds a day!!! Ripped off!!!
I started having my period again after 4 months even though I was fully BF. I was told at the antenatal class that it normally doesnt return until after you stop BF (that wasnt the case for me)

Just wondering how soon did everyone's period return after weaning your little ones from breastfeeding?

It has only been a couple of days since I stopped bf and i am having cramps which feel very similar to period pain and wondered if my period was already on its way? I am still on the mini pill too and does anyone know if I should be going onto another contraceptive pill now that I am not bf?

I would change pills now you have stopped breastfeeding, especially if you dont want anther one straight away. I found that my bleeding was too uncontrolable on the minipill ie every 2 weeks as its only one type of hormone.
I got mine a week after i stopped feeding him at 4.5 months..
But i didnt fully stop either until he was 5 months
AF came back when DS2 was 11 months old...but he wasn't weaned yet. I had cramps, like AF was going to return for at least 2 months before it finally did. It is quite normal for them to be a bit 'funny' after you have had a baby.

It's totally up to you about whether you go on to a combi pill, or something else, now he has weaned. I haven't, either time, just because the mini pill works for me (AF goes AWOL)....and DP as we have never gotten pregnant when I have been on it, despite missed/late pills etc.

I got mine when DS was about 8 weeks and I was still BF. I had microlut but wasn't taking it. Returned to Yasmin once I stopped BF at 3 months.

I got mine when DS was about 8 weeks and I was still BF. I had microlut but wasn't taking it. Returned to Yasmin once I stopped BF at 3 months.

With DD 4 got period when she was 3 months old despite fully BF until 10 months old. With DS 10 months I got my period when he was 3 months old. Unfortunately he disliked the taste of my milk after this and refused to BF. I felt ripped off too until I thought about how much worse it could be if I lived somewhere on the planet where contraceptive options are very limited!
HA! Period returns 4-6 weeks after birth of baby - regardless of how long I've breast fed for.
You could set a clock by me.
And I'm mum to 5 wonderful children.

Team Cooper

just adding my reply as it is different from everyone else, my period returned 8mths after I finished breastfeeding (I thought I was lucky but now it is all over the place still at 1 year on!!)
I stopped BF at 12 months. After only doing a nigh feed for the last 7 months. I have since had 2 periods since stopping and am now pg with no.3. Was planning to go back to the pill when my cycle was regular. Hmmm.
Mine came back when son was 7 months old. He'd started solids about a month before and wasn't feeding through the night at that point but still feeding about 4-5 times a day. He's still BF (nearly 19 months) only 1-2 times a day but I am pg with number 2 so no periods now of course....interesting to see how long with the next one.... smile
Sign in to follow this topic