Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

When to stop sterilising? Lock Rss

My DS is 6 months old & has been bottle feed sincve day 1. He is now eating solids and we don't sterilise his bowl & spoon. Just wondering if I should still be sterilising his bottles. Does anyone have any ideas?
I wouldn't worry about it at 6 months. I only sterilised my girls bottles untill they were 3 months old.
according to new studies you dont ever need to steralise bottles, hot soapy water then rinse is all u njeed, parents only steralise for piece of mind and because of all the marketing they provide,

I steralised both my boys bottles till they were 6mths, then just hot soapy water smile

I sterilized DD1's bottles until she was 12 months old but did not sterilise DS and DD2's bottles at all, I think you are pretty safe to stop now smile

Sterilsed DS1's bottles for about 6 months - then he was picking up toys and putting them in his mouth so stopped.

DD and DS2 i haven't sterilised - just washed really well as PP have said.

My DS is 6 months old & has been bottle feed sincve day 1. He is now eating solids and we don't sterilise his bowl & spoon. Just wondering if I should still be sterilising his bottles. Does anyone have any ideas?

i haven't been sterilising much this time. i was pedantic with DS1, but hospitals don't do it anymore, so i thought i would save time and haven't bothered. DS2 has been fine. i do have a steriliser, and about once a week i run all the bottles through it just to give them a really good clean after i have scrubbed them by hand. but i don't do it every time i wash them.

DS1 I sterilised until he was 10 months, I stopped because we were camping and it was a nightmare trying to boil bottles on a camping stove!! And DS2 until 3 months then stopped
DS is 8 months and we still sterilise his bottles daily. What do you do when you stop sterilising them ie hand wash, dishwasher?
With DS 1 I stopped at 12 months and with DS 2 I stopped at 6 months old. I have also heard that steralizing isn't really needed at all, but it just felt better to do so in the early days.

I am confused though as to when we can start using tap water instead of boiling the water. It would be puratap that I am using. Anyone know?

DS is 8 months and we still sterilise his bottles daily. What do you do when you stop sterilising them ie hand wash, dishwasher?

I hand wash the bottles. I clean out the sink and then fill it up with hot, soapy water and clean and rinse them well with a baby bottle brush. Let them air dry.
Method of sterilising is to be on the safe side when bub is less than 6 months and still building their immunity, and to eliminate any poor washing of milk bottles (think sleepless nights, no time to clean, unwashed dishes, bub needs bottle and bottle now!). It is the 'leftover milk residue' that is the actual cuplrit that makes bub sick as milk is a 'high risk product' which means that bacteria easily multiplies (as with food left on utensils and bowls etc). That's why it's always important to rinse out the milk from bottle after bub has finished if you aren't going to wash bottle straight away. So as long as the bottle or cup that bub drinks milk from has been thoroughly cleaned with hot water and detergent and making sure all milk / milk powder residue has been removed from teat (especially tip), creases of bottle neck and teat rings (so easy to forget to do this!), and of course bottle and cap, then sterilising not required. Tell hubby that RINSING bottle is not cleaning!! Hope this helped and that you didn't feel like you just got a science lecture!! Enjoy the solid stage!!!
Wow, I am so glad this thread is here. I have been busting my guts with sterilising - I was told that after you've sterilised if any part of the bottle comes in contact with unboiled water (even just a drop), you have to sterilise again, same if you drop any part on the ground, same if you haven't used the bottle for 24 hours etc. I have been sterilising twice a day for 10 weeks as I have been so paranoid incase I did accidently get a drop of unboiled water on it (from washing my hands prior to touching the bottle) Mind you this was advice was from ten years ago
Sign in to follow this topic