Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Just in case??? Lock Rss

Hi there..
I just have a quick question. I am having m First child due on the 27th of sept and i am wanting to breast feed. I was just wondering if i should buy a tin of formular just in case my milk doesnt come through. I am a bit parronoid because if i start on formular will he be able to breast feed when milk comes in.. I just dont know what to do.. Any Ideas???
Bubs will survive on colostrum until your milk comes down, they all do. Dont buy a tin of formula. Determination will help you to breastfeed, its usually not until there a month or so old that you might have trouble with milk and bubs growth, so worry about formular then. You should be able to ask your doctor or midwife for more advice on this.
Most hospitals actually have formula there if you need it. I just grabbed the little box of sachets and took them 'just incase' and ended up needing them but used theirs
I think it's always good to have some formula on hand, but would suggest sticking with breastfeeding if you can.
I honestly would say yes do buy one just incase. When I had DS i had EVERY intention to breastfeed, however DS had other ideas. He would NOT latch on, i had to stay in hospital for 4 days and had every midwife trying to get DS to latch, they ended up having to give him formula 48hrs after he was born because he just had not had any milk. He was 9lb 3oz, if he'd been smaller they would of had to feed him earlier. So i had to get my mum to rush out and buy formula and bottles for when we got home as i hadn't prepared for it.
I dont really want to formular feed, But as i said i am just a bit scared that he will loose weight and so on.. I bet you all know what its like being a mum for the first time smile Just a bit worried. I am wanting to stay with the idea of breast feeding.
IMO if you have formula anywhere in the house 'just in case' you are more likely to use it than if you don't. IF you need it later, bubs will survive for the time it takes to go out and buy some.

We were basically ordered to 'top up' DS1; he had his first bottle at 4 weeks, a week after we were told because I just couldn't get my head round it, thinking he'd only have 1-2 a week. By the end of the first week he was having one practically everyday, it stuffed with my not yet established milk supply and he prematurely weaned from bf altogether when he was 9 months old. When we found out we were having another baby I refused to have the stuff in the house....mainly because I wasn't going to use it but I also knew how 'easy' it is to reach for the formula in a rough patch.

As a suggestion, if you haven't already, I'd recommend speaking to a lactation consultant and/or the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA). They are better able to address your concerns and can tell you what to expect. I found this site really helpful, and it was my bf bible...unfortunately I only found it after DS1 prematurely weaned. This page specifically deals with 'getting started'.

If you are that concerned I would buy one of the small sachets of formula rather then the tin. As PP have said having the formula there can make it an easier option at stressful times no matter how determined you are to BF.
I personally had a small amount of formula incase of emergencies but even then how long does it really take to pop down the road and buy some

IMO if you have formula anywhere in the house 'just in case' you are more likely to use it than if you don't. IF you need it later, bubs will survive for the time it takes to go out and buy some.

We were basically ordered to 'top up' DS1; he had his first bottle at 4 weeks, a week after we were told because I just couldn't get my head round it, thinking he'd only have 1-2 a week. By the end of the first week he was having one practically everyday, it stuffed with my not yet established milk supply and he prematurely weaned from bf altogether when he was 9 months old. When we found out we were having another baby I refused to have the stuff in the house....mainly because I wasn't going to use it but I also knew how 'easy' it is to reach for the formula in a rough patch.

As a suggestion, if you haven't already, I'd recommend speaking to a lactation consultant and/or the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA). They are better able to address your concerns and can tell you what to expect. I found this site really helpful, and it was my bf bible...unfortunately I only found it after DS1 prematurely weaned. This page specifically deals with 'getting started'.

Wholeheartedly agree with Chippy!!!

I do not have formula in my house when I have my babies, honestly I know with all of mine had I had formula in the house then without a doubt in my sleep deprived state i would have used it without needing to!!!!

DS I lasted for 3 wks, and I got SIL to get me some, DD1 I lasted til 8 mths and DD2 I lasted for a year, with both girls I know when times got tough (for me around 6wks) then I would have definitely used it...

Add to that there are so many different types of formulas out there, I would honestly wait and make sure you do not leave hospital til you are confidnet feeding
If i were you i wouldnt buy any, your milk doesnt come through untill day 3-5 and until then baby survives from what it gets (thats why its kinda normal for them to lose weight) and its best to let your body do what it needs to do (if you express it makes to much but if baby has formula it makes to least). It could be a good idea to talk to your midwife as things like having certain drugs in labour and having the after birth can affect things like your milk (PLEASE double check though as it was what i was told and id hate to be wrong) but if you want to buy something sachets would be the way to go as formual tins have to be used within 4weeks.

All the Best smile
I wouldnt buy any.

Go to some antenatal classes, attend some ABA sessions or antenetal BF sessions at your local hospital.

Knowledge is power IMO. Know everything you can about BF, including all the help you can get afterwards so that you are more likely to succeed at BF.

A good labour/birth can help too so do alot of research into natural pain relief.

Good luck!
If you have formula with you or have bought some you are less likely to bf. Hospitals have formula. BF should be established before you leave hospital. All bubs loose weight once they are born. My bub took a couple of weeks to regain what was lost.
Sign in to follow this topic