Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Breast pains! Lock Rss

Hi,

Just wondering when or even if your breasts usually start feeling better and not so sore and tender while breastfeeding? I have been EBF DS for 9 weeks now and my nipples are still tender and all day I get stinging, throbbing or aching pains in both breasts. It drives my crazy sometimes and at times is quite painful. Am I going to have to put up with this for the whole time I'm BF?

Thanks
Aimee

How far apart are your feeds? My breasts were really sore when my feeds were close together as I was able to start spacing them out it became less so i.e 2-3hrs I had checked for blocked ducts as I have low supply as well. I tried warm cloths everything. It was quite by accident, due to the fact I had just started expressing when she started crying so I popped the pump in the fridge and got it out 10-15mins later, I found that the cold made to expressing and feeding much more comfortable until my nipples toughened up about 10-11 weeks

I'm feeding every 3-4hrs usually.... I expected my nipples to be a bit sore but I didn't expect this pain in my boobs all the time sad even the let-down sensation is painful.

Hi Aimee!

I know exactly what you are going through! I had the same fear that I would be wincing for the rest of my breastfeeding time!

The good news is that it does eventually get better! For me, it was probably about that 10 to 12 week mark when I finally realised it wasn't hurting anymore. Perhaps I got better at attaching bub, I don't know, but I also would hand express a little milk before latching bub on (I think this helped stretch the nipple a little too!).

I used to be in so much pain I could barely hold bub to my chest, but it DOES get better!

Have you tried Lansinoh? It's great at helping with cracked nipples and you don't have to wipe it off before bub feeds.

Just remember, there are women out there who are breastfeeding in public and you don't see them wincing - so it must get better! smile

Good luck!
Lol that is true - must be why I dont BF in public yet haha. Well DS is 9 wks so hopefully will be getting better soon.

I do use lansinoh fairly often as I have had a few cracks. I usually have to roll my nipples out a little before feeding too as they are a bit flat.

I know what you mean about not being able to hold bub against you, and also our change tables seems to be boob height for me so he's always kicking me in the boobs... sad ouch!

Thanks though, good to know there is an end in sight!

3-4 hours is a good time. the let down for me was agony I used to pray every morning that the pain wouldn't start alas it always did. Are your nipples cracked? are they red or swollen? if cracked I was told to rub breast milk in after a feed the same natural antibiotic you are feeding to your bub will heal your nipples if red or swollen go to GP to check for mastitis or blocked ducts. If you are going to see the CHN ask if she can check if your bub is latched on properly. As I said mine stopped hurting around 10-11weeks it didn't stop overnight it would seem fine for two days then worsen again I'm 15 weeks now and I only wince when mine thinks she has a piece of elastic in her mouth

DD is six months old, haven't felt any zips or stings or anything for about two months.

3-4 hours is a good time. the let down for me was agony I used to pray every morning that the pain wouldn't start alas it always did. Are your nipples cracked? are they red or swollen? if cracked I was told to rub breast milk in after a feed the same natural antibiotic you are feeding to your bub will heal your nipples if red or swollen go to GP to check for mastitis or blocked ducts. If you are going to see the CHN ask if she can check if your bub is latched on properly. As I said mine stopped hurting around 10-11weeks it didn't stop overnight it would seem fine for two days then worsen again I'm 15 weeks now and I only wince when mine thinks she has a piece of elastic in her mouth

Thanks, yeah I have a small crack in each nipple so trying to put the lansinoh on after every feed. I saw a lactation consultant to help with attaching etc and we are pretty right with that now. DS does the same thing as your DD, whips his head around with it still in his mouth OUCH!

DD is six months old, haven't felt any zips or stings or anything for about two months.

Thanks smile can't wait LOL

Hi,

Just wondering when or even if your breasts usually start feeling better and not so sore and tender while breastfeeding? I have been EBF DS for 9 weeks now and my nipples are still tender and all day I get stinging, throbbing or aching pains in both breasts. It drives my crazy sometimes and at times is quite painful. Am I going to have to put up with this for the whole time I'm BF?

Thanks
Aimee

What you are describing sounds like you are describing my start to breastfeeding - turns out i had nipple thrush and my god is it sore! I started eating 2 yogurts a day and it went away in a week. In saying that I first noticed that BF didnt hurt anymore when my baby was 3 months old. Hope this helps.
OH that has brought back memories of when i started breastfeeding DS.. I had terrible cracks in my nipples and still have scars on them. I thought i was going to be in terrible pain for the whole time i was feeding. We had huge trouble the first few months. But it does get better. By the time bubs was about 4 months old the pain went away and it got more comfortable.
Although even now when he's teething badly he can be a bit rough and i get a bit sore again.

Thanks. It has got a fair bit better, let down is still uncomfortable but I can deal with it. Now having problems with DS coming off all the time and grizzling and crying during feeds but thats another story.

Sign in to follow this topic