Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Supply and demand????? Lock Rss

Hi all

With my first bub I tried BF. thought I was going great guns she was latching good etc but at my 2 week check my midwife noticed she was still quite jaundiced, her poo colour wasn't right and she had lost a lot of weight. sad She would feed for like 3 hrs at a time. The next day I tried expressing and only 10 mls came out... didn't think too much of it and told my midwife who was concerned because of baby's jaundice and weight loss. Turned out my milk had never really "come in" I had never had full sore breasts they had never leaked etc and when I squeezed them I got a couple of drops. I was devestated but happy to FF if it meant bub would get beter.

This time round I want to do all I can to get my boobs working so to speak so have a few questions.
Sorry if some of them sound dumb.

can I start expressing before bubs is born and freeze it?

If I express straight after a feed will bubs still get all the good parts e.g foremilk, hind milk etc?

I wouldn't mind trying to express during the day so hubby can help with night feeds, but would this stuff up my supply and demand (not feeding from the boob for that many hrs)?

Sorry if I sound a bit silly hope you lovely ladies can help me.
It's so complicated and it's hard to know what will happen this time around. I hope it works out for you though! Maybe contact the ABA now and they might be able to help you... I didn't think you could express before bub was born but a friend of mine who just had twins expressed for most of her pregnancy to stock up for when they arrived so I guess you can!!

It's so complicated and it's hard to know what will happen this time around. I hope it works out for you though! Maybe contact the ABA now and they might be able to help you... I didn't think you could express before bub was born but a friend of mine who just had twins expressed for most of her pregnancy to stock up for when they arrived so I guess you can!!

I know it's deffinetly not advised until full term as it stimulates uterine contractions which can be stronger and lead to fetal distress or premature labour in saying that I started expressing at 36 weeks as was going to be induced at 37 and having the frozen really helped me in hospital when I couldn't bf bubz when he went in to the nursery. I ended up having an oversupply but wouldn't go as far as saying it was due to expressing while pregnant. Wishing you all the best smile

It is usually not advised before 35ish weeks because as someone else pointed out it can cause uterine contractions and premature birth. Having said that though there are women all over the world who feed through their pregnancies so not sure how that would be much different to be honest. <span class="emoticon unsure">unsure</span>

If I express straight after a feed will bubs still get all the good parts e.g foremilk, hind milk etc?

Foremilk and hindmilk is a bit of a myth.......'hind' milk is available to the baby at let-down. Some women try and express off the opposite side bubs is feeding off of....but I never got the hang of that myself. <span class="emoticon laugh">laugh</span> One thing I will say is that pumping output, or lack thereof, should NEVER be used as an indication of your milk supply. I had 'issues' pumping initially with DS2 but I had plenty of milk, in fact I had an oversupply of milk for nearly 11 months!

I wouldn't mind trying to express during the day so hubby can help with night feeds, but would this stuff up my supply and demand (not feeding from the boob for that many hrs)?

Prolactin production, the milk producing hormone, is higher in the wee hours of the morning, between 12-5am from memory so really you need to either be feeding or expressing overnight to keep milk production up. I never skimped on night feeds this time, in fact I used any excuse I could find to put him to the breast often.

Kellymom has heaps of great information, this is a good place to start.

I expressed and froze before I went to hosp. I did this under the advise of a lactation consultant and approval from my ob. He supplied the cyringes for me. Helped me heaps as I did have a jaundice baby that they wanted to give formula. Having my own supply prevented this.
My recommendation to you would be to speak to a lactation consultant and get all the advice you can. I was far better prepared second timround and succesfully BF till she weand herself at 16months. It was the hardest thing I have had to learn how to do as an adult but I am so glad I did. Good luck I wish you all the best.
Hi there

thanks heaps ladies.
Yes I think I will talk to my midwife and see if there is any classes I can go to in the coming months.
I am starting to get more confident the more I read up on it. I was very naive last time and thought it would come easy.
The main reason I wanted to express for night feeds is last time when we were formula feeding my husband and my daughter really bonded during those night feeds and he just loved knowing he was helping. but it might be that he can feed bubs expressed milk while I express at night?? If ya get me.

Well i feel empowered now.
Thanks again

Hi all

With my first bub I tried BF. thought I was going great guns she was latching good etc but at my 2 week check my midwife noticed she was still quite jaundiced, her poo colour wasn't right and she had lost a lot of weight. sad She would feed for like 3 hrs at a time. The next day I tried expressing and only 10 mls came out... didn't think too much of it and told my midwife who was concerned because of baby's jaundice and weight loss. Turned out my milk had never really "come in" I had never had full sore breasts they had never leaked etc and when I squeezed them I got a couple of drops. I was devestated but happy to FF if it meant bub would get beter.

This time round I want to do all I can to get my boobs working so to speak so have a few questions.
Sorry if some of them sound dumb.

Sorry if I sound a bit silly hope you lovely ladies can help me.

Hi there.. i had similar problems with my DS. When i breastfed he didn't seem to be gaining much weight. Health nurse told me that he was falling asleep to quickly on the breast and that he wasn't getting enough of the hind milk as my let down was quite slow. He soon got better at that though and got better.
As for expressing, how much you express is not an indicator of how much milk you have, I am not able to express no matter if i try by hand or by machine, i just cna't get more than like 20/30 mls out at a time. Yet bubs is 9 1/2 months old and thriving still so i know he gets enough.

For milk supply you really do need to be feeding bubs during the night. Expressing is not as good at increasing supply as the baby actually drinking off you.

when i first came home from hospital after a c-section i got a big infection and had to stop feeding my DD i was expressing and having to tip it down the sink (that was heart braking) but she had formula while this was being done and she went back on the breast after that. I stock piled after that happened for when i was to return to work while she was feeding off one side i was expressing off the other, i found the more i expressed the more milk i had but that doesn't work for everyone though as my friend had the same problem you had with your first and she tried what i did. Good luck with it and don't give up. Jenny
Sign in to follow this topic