Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. breast fed wont take bottle

breast fed wont take bottle Lock Rss

My baby is 4months old and I have been solely breastfeeding her since she was born and she hasnt had any feeding issues. However, I start back to work in January and so need to introduce the botte to her.
I have expressed milk and tried the bottle but she simply plays with it with her tongue and spits it out.
She's also never had a dummy so is not used to anything in her mouth other than my nipple (and the occasional toy i suppose).
I have bought the "closer to nature" tommee tippee range for her and this doesnt seem to be doing the job. We also tried sipper cups as a family friend suggested which she sucked for a bit and then started to cry.
On the weekend we tried and tred with the bottle to the point where the poor little bubba was starving and crying her little eyes out.
It's really hard to watch but do we persist because if she's hungry enough she'll take it?
Is there an easier way?
Has someone else tried giving her the bottle when you are not in the room so she cannot smell you? It is difficult to get a bf baby to take a bottle but if you are around she will smell you and that will be all she wants. You could also try squeezing the bottle a bit so some milk goes into her mouth, or maybe even putting some milk on the outside of the teet??

I was lucky, DS took the bottle easily for when I went back to work at 8mths, but I know many people who have had trouble with it

hth

Has someone else tried giving her the bottle when you are not in the room so she cannot smell you? It is difficult to get a bf baby to take a bottle but if you are around she will smell you and that will be all she wants. You could also try squeezing the bottle a bit so some milk goes into her mouth, or maybe even putting some milk on the outside of the teet??

I was lucky, DS took the bottle easily for when I went back to work at 8mths, but I know many people who have had trouble with it

hth

yeah sorry i should've said that my hubby has tried giving it to her but she's probably less patient with him as she's not used to him feeding her. She's getting the milk in her mouth but mostly spits it out rather than swallows it.
Is there a technique to how to place it in her mouth or a rule as to how long I should try it before giving in and giving her my breast?
Sorry I can't be of any help as I'm having the same problem. My bub is 10 weeks old and exclusively BF. I have gone back to work nights and I have tried him on the bottle with little success. I thought he would take the bottle without me in the house but nope he wouldn't have it. I was even called home from work on Saturday night because he was in such a state and was inconsolable.

I have tried soaking the teats in milk, boiling them in water only to sterelise and several different types of teats.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.
I had trouble with my first baby as I left it 8 weeks before I tried to give her a bottle of expressed breast milk, she would not take a bottle...I tried at least three or four different bottles and teats, tried giving her some expressed milk at least once a day, sometimes up to four times a day for a couple of months and she still would not take it. Also tried everyone else giving her the bottle when I was there and when I wasn't. Finally when she turned one she would take a bottle, but only after I got the right formula, I tried a few different ones (just got the single serve sachets to try different ones) she only liked one type and wouldn't take the others. I stopped breast feeding her at one year once she took the bottles of formula then put her onto a sippy cup after only a couple of weeks of the bottle as I was worried she'd get so attached to the bottle as she did my breasts that weaning her off the bottle would be a nightmare. She was already having water in a sippy cup so no worries taking the milk in a sippy cup.

With number two I learnt from the first one and also someone told me after all the trying with number one that most babies have to be given the bottle before they are two to three weeks old and then keep up with at least a bottle every one or two days to keep them used to it. So with my second daughter I gave her bottles of expressed milk from two weeks old, shes now nearly four months and I still try to give her a bottle about 4 or 5 days out of 7 to keep her used to it, I could really do it more often as she gets fussy on it at times.

Basically I think some will take the bottle, some with do both, some will prefer bottle and give up the breast if they get too many bottles as its easier for them to get milk out of a bottle. (I know a few people sho have tried to combine breast and bottle and the babies give up the breast in favour of the bottle.)

Good luck with it, its a tough one. There definietly no magic solutions.

Sorry for the novel above....
Hi

I had the same problem with my DD but she is good now. She is 7 1/2mths old and first had a bottle at 6wks without a second thought but then didn't need to have one until about 4mths old and wouldn't have a bar of it. We kept persisting at least once a week - expressed breastmilk and formula - and after heaps of rejections she finally had 20ml the first time, 40ml the second time and then for some strange reason a whole 200ml of formula! Very strange but made me very happy as we are leaving her tomorrow night with my sister while we have a night away on our own. I think just keep trying every few days, both you and your husband trying. I also got hold of those 'closer to nature' bottles and it did still take a while before she drank from them.

Good luck, I am sure it will happen eventually.
Hi there..
We have had huge problems with my DS and the bottle. He wouldn't take a bottle from day one, we used to syringe feed him at night to top him up with EBM.. We have tried SO many times to give him a bottle but he just works himself up and ends up by screaming and screaming, he is now 9 months old and we've given up as it's not necessary for him to have a bottle anymore as i don't need to go back to work or anything. It does make it hard as i can't go out at night for long periods of time as he's very very attached to me and refuses to go to anyone else at night but thats just him i guess.
Have you tried formula? SOmetimes they may take that out of a bottle but not breast milk. Unfortunately i don't have any more clues for you except maybe keep trying a sippy cup and hopefully bub will eventually take something.

THanks everyone. I'm just trying her every day once on the bottle. yesterday through tears she took about 20mls so i;m hoping that each day she'll get better.
i might try formula and see if she'll try that one time.
thankyou.
My daughter is 6 1/2 months old, exclusively breastfeed and also refuses a bottle and dummy. I also made the mistake of giving her a bottle at 3 weeks old, her taking it and then not keeping it up! I have been trying her on a bottle for months now with varying degrees of success. I have tried all types of bottles and teats, giving her breastmilk and also formula. Last week I though we had hit the jackpot with her drinking formula from a bottle for about 5 days, ranging from 50mls to 150mls at a time. But this week, once again she refused. She drinks out of a sipper cup but only water. I'm interested in anyone's helpful hints as I am getting very frustrated and in need of help!
try the MAM bottles, I have found they are great.

My DD2 went onto formula at 4 months and has never had an issue at all, I started out with the anti-colic bottles (they have a vented base) they are supposed to be good as they don't have any issues with wind or anything and the teat doesn't collapse when they suck.

I've had trouble with my wee girl too. It totally stressed me out trying to get her to take it for weeks and weeks, and everyone gave me plenty of advice (my favourite one was 'if she's hungry enough she'll drink it' grrr!) but nothing worked. So then I decided to have a break from trying for a bit. Once She started solids I decided to try the bottle again with some formula. First I made her baby rice with formula to get use to the taste, then after about a week of that I'd make up 20 ml and give her the bottle to play with and explore so she wouldn't scream when I held it in her mouth. To start with she'd just chew on it but was getting a taste for it. After about 3 weeks one day she just started to suck. So we went from 20 ml to 50 to 80 and so on. She's now 7 months and I try to give her a bottle at least once a day, Although every now and then she'd rather have me especially if she is sick or really unsettled. So dont give up but most of all dont get stressed about it. Someone did say to me 'she'll take it eventually' a I clung to those words every time she arched her back and screamed and eventually she did- just in her own time.

Thankyou!!! This is great advice - let's hope that I have the same luck with my little girl. smile
HI there,
My name is sam, I am a mum of 3 under 3 inc twins and I co-fed all of my kids ( breast and bottles).
I wrote this bottle feeding bible for mum's who have had trouble getting their bugs to take the bottle after I found Mimijumi bottles. They are incredibly well designed (by 2 doctors) and mimic breastfeeding better than any other bottle I have ever seen.
There are lots of trouble shooting tips included to help you get the bub onto the bottle, I hope you find it helpful.
http://mimijumi.com.au/bottle-feeding-bible/
If you are still having trouble, I strongly recommend you get in touch with Bottle Babies – they are really helpful!
www.bottlebabies.org
xx
SAM
Sign in to follow this topic