Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

One side running out?? Lock Rss

My 13 wk old DS has been fully BF since birth but we have run into a hiccup.

One side seems to be emptying REALLY quickly in the last couple of days, say 3 minutes compared to at least 10.

I am offering this side first (is it a supply issue?) and within a couple of minutes, bub is getting frustrated at not getting enough. He then goes on the other side and will feed for at least 10 minutes.

Could he and I be more efficent on the first side?

I am still eating and drinking the same amount and tupes of food/water. He did have a couple of restless days earlier this week with not sleeping longer than half hour (thank goodness that has settled).

In general DS is still the same happy boy he has been, even with the lack of sleep.

I haven't experienced this before and wondered if anyone has??
hi there.. i had a similar problem with my DS.
I ended up by changing feeding positions and started tucking him under my arm (football hold??) and i think that started draining it more effectively after a few days was all good. I still have one that seems to make more mi8lk than the other though and i've been breastfeeding for 9 1/2 months.

hi there.. i had a similar problem with my DS.
I ended up by changing feeding positions and started tucking him under my arm (football hold??) and i think that started draining it more effectively after a few days was all good. I still have one that seems to make more mi8lk than the other though and i've been breastfeeding for 9 1/2 months.

Thanks Snow White. Will give it a go.

Would it have to do with the fact that I got my period back today?
Your period apparently changes the taste and also effects supply i think. Pretty sure I was told that. I had issues when I started getting my period back and that was about 6-8 weeks.
I had a similar problem so started feeding both sides twice...I'd go right left, then right left again seeing as the right side was the one running out.
That seemed to help heaps .
DD2 was only feeding a max of 4-5 minutes each side so all up she was feeding for about 20 minutes when I fed both sides twice each feed.

Your period apparently changes the taste and also effects supply i think. Pretty sure I was told that. I had issues when I started getting my period back and that was about 6-8 weeks.
I had a similar problem so started feeding both sides twice...I'd go right left, then right left again seeing as the right side was the one running out.

I tried this through the night and it seemed to work a little. Will keep perservering and hope it works out. Thanks for your help.
i was told when you get to the three month mark your breast milk starts supplying as needed and your breasts might start looking normalish but even if it does dry up dont stress when my 3 yr old was bout 5 months old i got a cracked nipple and it sorta had a scab on it and she refused to feed from that side and so i breast feed her from one side untill she was 26 mths but mainly just night feeds for the last six mths all because no matter what i tryed she refused bottles and naturally weined herself two mths before i gave birth to my youngest

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I think everyone's breasts have a "good" side and a "not-so-good" one as far as milk supply! I had one that was better than the other, and of course bub naturally prefers that one too, as it is easier and less work for them to get the reward. I personally didn't have the problem where I felt one side dried up, but I had a friend who did after a few months, and she went on to continue to successfully breastfeed her bub with the one breast only (if all else fails sort of thing). Perhaps give the Australian Breastfeeding Helpline a call for advice.
Sign in to follow this topic