Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Breast feeding #2 as a first timer

Breast feeding #2 as a first timer Lock Rss

Hi ladies,

I am expecting baby #2 in a few weeks and am going to breast feed him. I bottle fed DD from Day 1 so this is going to be a completely different experience. I have done a TONNE of research (reading/watching clips) and feel very prepared but I think other mums are always the best resource and was hoping you could all please hit me with your best tips to add to my collection smile Thank you!

Hi ladies,

I am expecting baby #2 in a few weeks and am going to breast feed him. I bottle fed DD from Day 1 so this is going to be a completely different experience. I have done a TONNE of research (reading/watching clips) and feel very prepared but I think other mums are always the best resource and was hoping you could all please hit me with your best tips to add to my collection smile Thank you!

fed fed fed and fed again..... if you think you don't have enough milk because the baby is still feeding on day 3 and 4 thats not the case its because they are boosting your supply............ drink heaps of water.... buckets of the stuff.... make sure you have a good latch. your baby goes through a growth spurt about day 6 and day 9 and 12 and has busy drinking days and not so busy drinking days.....

good luck

fed fed fed and fed again..... if you think you don't have enough milk because the baby is still feeding on day 3 and 4 thats not the case its because they are boosting your supply............ good luck

I second this. Feed, feed, feed. The most important thing after good attachment. BF babies tend to feed more frequently than ff bubs, so don't worry that you're overfeeding him or that it hasn't been 3 hours since his last feed. Don't watch the clock.

Expect bf to hurt at first. Your nipples need to get used to it. But if your attachment is good, it shouldn't hurt beyond the first 30 seconds or so.

BF is natural, but it's HARD to learn! Get help as soon as you need it. Ask at your hospital or ask your MCH nurse to refer you to a breastfeeding clinic/lactation consultant. Soon you'll be able to bf anywhere while doing nearly anything.

The Australian Breasfeeding Association is a fabulous resource. They have a 24hr phone line and email advice. You don't even have to be a member.

The best advice I was given is that if you can bf for the first 6 weeks, you'll bf as long as you want.

Good luck. Sorry if I've repeated anything you already knew.
Perseverance! I have had so many problems with BF, right from day 1 but here I am 6 months on and I'm still going! But in saying that, if you find you can't continue don't beat yourself up over it... just make sure you get all the help you can before you give it up.

The most important things are: eat as much as you feel like, don't try to limit your food as you will be amazed how much you can eat without gaining weight; drinks heaps as the pp said, always keep a bottle with you; have plenty of breast pads on hand when your milk comes in; read up on expressing and using a breast pump just in case (I never did and then I had no idea what I was doing when I needed to express); be prepared for a little bit of pain to start with but it will get better.

Most importantly remember that breast milk is all bub needs to thrive for the first 6 months, even with your bub being due in warm weather, the first part of a feed quenches their thirst.

Good luck!

I agree with PP, feed, feed and feed!

I was successfully able to feed #2 and #3 after not being able to feed #1. Drink plenty of water, keep growth spurts in the back of your mind. I didn't know about the 4 month growth spurt until #3 and nearly gave up feeding her.

The lactation biscuits are yummy if you feel as though your supply is dropping a bit or fenugreek tablets helped me too.

Jo smile
Try not to stress and keep yourself calm as stress can interfere with supply.

Feed Feed Feed! Keep baby on the breast as much as possible!

Drink tonnes of water!

Have some nice maternity bras.

Whenever you sit down to feed have a cup of water and the phone with you (if you are home alone).

Think about co-sleeping on nights that are tough, a couple of nights can do wonders.

Have a few different nipple creams ready to use. I found Mrs Palmers Cocoa Butter Nipple Cream the best.

Buy some washable breast pads the disposables are crap!

If it hurts, baby is not latched on properly so take baby off and attach again.

Dont weigh baby, look at their nappies and development to see if they are getting enough. All babies put on weight differently and looking at the scales for huge increase in weight gains can cause you more stress.

Have fun and enjoy it!!!! I loved BF and miss it so much <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span> Enjoy the bonding and snuggle time between you and bubs

PS Have patience!!! This is something new for you both you and baby that you have to learn how to do. I find the biggest reason why mums stop is because they get frustrated and impatient. Trust me its worth it in the long run!

PPS The other incentive for me was that I set up a bank account for DD and every week I deposited the amount of money that I estimated I would spend on formula if I stopped. She now has a nice little lump of money that I can tell her about when she is older and I am sure she will thank me for <span class="emoticon smile">smile</span>
Lansinoh is the best, saved me thats for sure, also feed feed feed as everyone else has said, also don't be discouraged by comments from Family & Friends that couldnt or didnt breastfeed, some of them seem to put doubt in your mind to make themselves feel better I think.

It is such a beautiful bonding experience and you are really doing the best thing for your baby, it's lovely wub
Completely agree with everyone else but maybe do a breastfeeding course at your hospital or through the ABA.

Also every time you need to feed bub in hospital get the midwives to help so you attach bub properly and save your nipples from getting too damaged at the start. Also if you have sore nipples go and buy some nipple shields

good luck smile
Agree with everything others have said. Lansinoh is also good as it's the only natural ointment that you don't need to wash off before each feed (that would be a pain!!). Definately get midwives to show you what they know as they are an amazing source of information - I even got them to show me again when I had DD2.

The other tip I give you is to try to relax and trust how it feels. Once I stopped worrying about how to hold the nipple, which way it should be, what position to do it in, how bubs mouth should be etc it all just fell into place after a few weeks.
I'm so happy I found this thread! I'm in a very similar situation, fed DS for only a couple of weeks, but am hoping to feed this bub for a while..

Keep the tips coming! smile

Thank you all sooo much for all the replies I really appreciate it smile I have the Lansinoh in my hospital bag and baby bag and an appointment with my hospitals lactation consultant so am glad I'm heading in the right direction! Do the nipple shields have any negative effects on latch or anything like that or is it exactly the same if they're on just less painful if your cracked etc? I was hoping to express one bottle a day so that DP can have that bonding time with his son as I ff DD he was able to feed her all the time I just don't want him to feel helpless - what are your thoughts; will it effect my supply?
use lansinoh cream ...start now to condition your nipples. You can also use it before and after feeding.

Request to see a lactation consultant before you leave hospital! Insist on it! They can help you sort out any queries before they become problems. That way if you need help when you go home, you have someone to contact...
Sign in to follow this topic