Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

when to start expressing? Lock Rss

At what age is it reccommended that it is ok to start expressing milk and feeding to baby? Am wanting to go back to work one day a week ASAP (as money is tight)but want to base this decision around the right time to start expressing and feeding

At what age is it reccommended that it is ok to start expressing milk and feeding to baby? Am wanting to go back to work one day a week ASAP (as money is tight)but want to base this decision around the right time to start expressing and feeding

Most nurses recommend waiting until 6 weeks as babies can get nipple confusion and have trouble continuing to breastfeed. However, with my last two babies I expressed from the moment my milk came in so my husband could feed them too and had no serious problems with either. I would try returning to work before six weeks though, you'd be putting a lot of pressure on yourself. How old is bub now?

Most nurses recommend waiting until 6 weeks as babies can get nipple confusion and have trouble continuing to breastfeed. However, with my last two babies I expressed from the moment my milk came in so my husband could feed them too and had no serious problems with either. I would try returning to work before six weeks though, you'd be putting a lot of pressure on yourself. How old is bub now?

Baby is only two weeks old. We live in the middle of a flood affected area and as a result my partner, who is a plant mechanic,has had his hours reduced as a result of the lack of money and work around. I can earn better money as a chef working one day a week than he can earn taking on an extra job .Me going back to work is not a decision we came to easily but unfortunately we see this as the 'better' option. Thank you for your reply, is good to hear from a mother who has some experience with this issue as opposed to someone who just has an opinion.

Baby is only two weeks old. We live in the middle of a flood affected area and as a result my partner, who is a plant mechanic,has had his hours reduced as a result of the lack of money and work around. I can earn better money as a chef working one day a week than he can earn taking on an extra job .Me going back to work is not a decision we came to easily but unfortunately we see this as the 'better' option. Thank you for your reply, is good to hear from a mother who has some experience with this issue as opposed to someone who just has an opinion.

I'm so sorry about your situation. I have friends in Qld who have lost everything and she is seven months pregnant. Thank goodness they have insurance, so it's not too bad for them.
Have you spoken to Centrelink/Family Assistance Office? There are special flood payments for people whose livelihoods have been affected by the floods.
What an awful situation to be in with a two week old. I'd also recommend using a teat that is comparable/compatible with breastfeeding such as the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature or the Pigeon Peristaltic Nipples. The teats will fit on the cheaper bottles too if money is an issue. In fact, I have a lot of bottles and teats here that have never been used if you would like me to send them to you.
Best of luck to you, and I hope things work out. Let me know if you need any help. XO

if your husband is going to be looking after him is it possible for him to bring the baby to you for a couple of feeds a day???? this might keep your supply up.

some mums come to our work to feed durning the day..... but if you are working at night that may not work.....

use a electric pump and start now and get some expressed milk bags bags and start freezing it,,,,,, all through the week so you have a good supply of milk left for when your at work..... you will have to express at work as well to keep your supply going.... I am sorry that you have to go back to work but when needs must you have to do what you have to do.

breast fed babies take less than formula fed babies so she may only take 30 - 50 mls a feed. warm it in warm water and make sure its shaken before given to mix it as it tends to seperate....

also write down a semi routine that you have at the moment..... like baby wakes you feed, cuddles, nappy, and anything else wether you reoffer a feed again(top up) then back to bed. how you wrap etc so you know when your at work.

I took photos for my husband to see what the wrap looks like once i wrapped the baby. hope things go well with you.
Sign in to follow this topic