Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. breastfeeding 9 mth old won't concentrate!

breastfeeding 9 mth old won't concentrate! Lock Rss

Hi

I am having a bit of hassle when breast feeding my 9 mth old. I cannot feed her where there are any other distractions at all or she is constantly on / off while she has a look around at what is going on. So a feed can take half an hour and is very frustrating!
She does have formula during the day, but I feed her three times a day myself (6, 11,7). The 11 feed and usually early morning feeds are no problem but the 6pm she will not 'concentrate'.

Anyone else had this problem?I feel like a social pariah having to go and sit in a dark quiet room alone with her to feed her each night! Do you think she is ready to be weaned, not sure I am ready to wean her yet.

Michelle,SA,DD1 4 yo, DD2 9/8/05

My DD was the same, it was quite annoying. I kind of worked things so that her feeds where at home, in her room where she isn't distracted. I gradually started to wean from 9 months any-way so it wasn't that much of a big deal.

I decided to wean at 9 months as she was starting to really fuss at a couple of feeds. She was also doing really well with solids and drinking water. I decided not to offer her post afternoon nap BF, and she didn't care. I gave her a solids snack instead, she was as happy as punch. A couple of weeks later I dropped the post morning nap BF - same thing happened. I thought it was going to be really hard and stressful, but it wasn't - DD was ready I suppose. I went from 4 hourly BF's at 9 months to 2 feeds (morning and night) by 12 months.

Maybe you can pick a feed that your bub isn't particularly interested in and just not offer it. Provide a sippy cup with water (or what ever you prefer) and some finger food or other snack. See how your bub reacts. It wont mess your supply up if within a couple of days your bub decides she wants it again. I suppose its about what you want as well, are you ready to wean I mean.

Best of luck !

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Hi michelle im daughter has always been like that and when things a happening around her and I hate it when I finally get her on for a feed someone has to came and talk to me and than that dustracts Jaye and it takes longer to feed her and I know how you feel, I would love it if my daughter would take the bottle but hates it with a passion and if you arent ready to wean her than dont but if you are getting furstrated with the whole sitaution than maybe you should think about weaning your little girl.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Hi!

My girl is 8 months and she is so nosy that she's been impossible to breastfeed with anyone else around for about 4 months or so - it's okay at home if she's really hungry, then she'll ignore a visitor for a few minutes, as long as the visitor doesn't speak or move (makes for a really exciting visit! tongue ), but if we're out I have to go hide in a quiet room, and let Nina have a good look round the room to satisfy her curiosity before I even try to feed her. I even have trouble in the curtained cubicles in parent's rooms at malls - she comes off every time someone comes in or out, or talks. It's frustrating!

We have to look on the bright side though - if our babies pay so much attention to the world they must be pretty clever little monkeys hungry for knowledge! I think it's worth it to perservere with breastfeeding, I just think to myself if she's really hungry she'll drink ... eventually! Good luck! smile

This new forum is strange ...

Sign in to follow this topic