Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Breast to Bottle Lock Rss

Hi, I am a first time mother(20) and my daughter is(13mnths).I have breastfed from day one, only ever used formula in a bottle once she was a little over 5mnths then . I loved breastfeeding so it didn't worry me not putting her on a bottle and now I really need to take her off the breast so I can go back to course and complete my studies however my problem is I don't know how to actually take her off.. She is not use to a bottle or formula ? She wakes up during the night all the time to have breast milk I cant go anywhere I cant do anything, I'm hoping there is a way to working something out that will suite both me & her please can somebody offer me some helpful advice any answers will be greatly appreciated thanks guys.?
smile
Also She is fine with a sippy-cup during the day, its just whenever she goes down for a sleep/nap at anytime of the day because she is so use to having a feed I have to breastfeed her right up until she falls to sleep thats kind of turned into a habbit for her & now I don't know how to stop or change it?..
At 13mths there is no need to go onto formula, she can just go straight to cows milk. Have you tried a sippy cup? I had trouble with my boys taking a bottle and found a cup better. If she's still waking overnight can you wean slowly by still doing bf overnight and offering alternative milk during the day? It might be easier for her to transition if it's not too sudden iykwim?
I stopped at 14mths. I went straight to a sippy cup, my midwife reccomended no bottles after 12mths. I did it slowly, and swapped one BF for a sippy cup with cows milk, did that for a week or two, then the next feed etc. We got down to the morning feed, and then I only gave her one side each morning (alternate). I had no problems with stopping, no excess milk/mastitis etc.

Good luck

I stopped at 14mths. I went straight to a sippy cup, my midwife reccomended no bottles after 12mths. I did it slowly, and swapped one BF for a sippy cup with cows milk, did that for a week or two, then the next feed etc. We got down to the morning feed, and then I only gave her one side each morning (alternate). I had no problems with stopping, no excess milk/mastitis etc.

Good luck

I am trying to stop breastfeeding my 15month old but she is so attached to it and she flatly refuses to drink cows milk or formula. I wonder if i just have to be tough and say no until she accepts it, otherwise i think if i left it up to her she would still be breastfeeding at age 5!
Thank-yous for the replies, sorry I should have stated this properly she is fine with a sippy-cup during the day, another problem I have is whenever she goes down for a sleep/nap at anytime of the day because she is so use to having it I have to breastfeed her till she goes to sleep thats kind of turned into a habbit for her & now I don't know how to stop or change it?.. ?
I starting weaning DD at 16 months i just took it one feed at a time. I offered her a drink or food. DD didn't like it threw a few tantrums but after a month she just stopped wanting a feed didn't seem interested. With the night feeds i would offer water instead of a feed. I didn't get much sleep for a week and once she realised she wasn't getting a feed her sleep actually got alot better.

Thank-yous for the replies, sorry I should have stated this properly she is fine with a sippy-cup during the day, another problem I have is whenever she goes down for a sleep/nap at anytime of the day because she is so use to having it I have to breastfeed her till she goes to sleep thats kind of turned into a habbit for her & now I don't know how to stop or change it?.. ?

Hi, maybe you could go back to your CHN or talk to the Australian Breastfeeding Association about it? To get some tips on how to settle her without feeding to sleep. How many feeds is she having?

Sign in to follow this topic