Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Badly cracked nipple won't heal

Badly cracked nipple won't heal Lock Rss

Hi ladies,

I need any help I can get. I have a badly cracked nipple which is now bleeding quite a lot when I feed DS. I have tried Lansinoh to help it heal but it doesn't seem to work. I used to use nipple shields all the time but I stopped as he started to refuse to feed from them and when he did it would take forever and he would hardly drink anything. I have started to express today and fed him from a bottle to give it a break as he is quite rough, but he is refusing the bottle too. I just don't know what else to do.

Please help!

Hi ladies,

I need any help I can get. I have a badly cracked nipple which is now bleeding quite a lot when I feed DS. I have tried Lansinoh to help it heal but it doesn't seem to work. I used to use nipple shields all the time but I stopped as he started to refuse to feed from them and when he did it would take forever and he would hardly drink anything. I have started to express today and fed him from a bottle to give it a break as he is quite rough, but he is refusing the bottle too. I just don't know what else to do.

Please help!

Hi,
Sounds horrible! The advice I've always been given is if it's bleeding not to let baby on for 24hrs. So, I would just keeping up the expressing, maybe try from a sippy cup instead of a bottle. Other idea is to get someone else to try the bottle and you disappear for a bit ( and I mean well away, he will put up a fuss) at the end of the day he will drink if he's hungry and you need to look after your nipples.

I have had similar but with much younger babies. You can't go on feeding him like that. Good on you for keeping it up this long.

Hi ladies,

Please help!

Hi, oh u poor thing. Sounds very painful sad I managed to dodge cracked nipple,reacurring mastitis was my thing! Have u tried rubbing some of your milk on your nipple after feeding and allowing it to air dry,maybe too let ur breast air as much as u can,as I'm guessing it would hurt rubbing against ur bra or t shirt. I hope u find relief soon.

<a href=

Hi,
Sounds horrible! The advice I've always been given is if it's bleeding not to let baby on for 24hrs. So, I would just keeping up the expressing, maybe try from a sippy cup instead of a bottle. Other idea is to get someone else to try the bottle and you disappear for a bit ( and I mean well away, he will put up a fuss) at the end of the day he will drink if he's hungry and you need to look after your nipples.

I have had similar but with much younger babies. You can't go on feeding him like that. Good on you for keeping it up this long.

Thanks, I will try that. Luckily DF has just quit work and will be home so he can give the bottle. He tried today but DS mucked up for both of us. I might try staying right away from them. Don't know what I'm going to do tonight though as he always has a 10pm feed and DF is at his brothers tonight.

I have had it on and off since he was born but this is really bad, I felt so horrible this morning when I saw the blood dribbling out it was terrible.

Hi, oh u poor thing. Sounds very painful sad I managed to dodge cracked nipple,reacurring mastitis was my thing! Have u tried rubbing some of your milk on your nipple after feeding and allowing it to air dry,maybe too let ur breast air as much as u can,as I'm guessing it would hurt rubbing against ur bra or t shirt. I hope u find relief soon.

Lol I have had both, cracked nipple on the left & mastitis in the right? Weird lol. I know you are supposed to let it air out a bit but I'm usually trying to burp him and then go and put him down for a play so I don't really get the chance. It's more comfortable wearing a bra but it sometimes sticks as it dries up. I think it would rub if I didn't wear a bra.

have you tried hydrogel pads?

have you tried hydrogel pads?

No, what do they do?

They're really good for sore/cracked nipples. A friend of mine gave me a box for my baby shower - one of the most useful gifts I got.
hydrogel pads
I use Rite Aid Hydrogel Breast Disks. Only thing is you have to wash your nipples before feeding.
That, and they're FREEZING when its cold, lol.

My LC got me to buy disposable breast pads and put the lanolin on the pad instead of my nipples. Stops them sticking and is working really well to heal them up.
LC said that if they stick, to express a little milk to soften it up and give it a minute to release instead of pulling away. Every time you pull away it damages the new tissue.

Have you been to see a lactation consultant? It sounds like your little one isn't latching properly.

Oh, and when you feed, have both boobs out to let the other one air while you feed (as long as bub isn't going to flail around and whack it).
When I was in hospital the physio would come and do laser or ultrasound on cracked nipples. Might be worth calling a physio based a hospital to see if they do it. Or try your CHN or ABA if they have some suggestions

goodluck, that sounds awful
how old is your baby? sounds like a latching problem like baby is only sucking on the ends of the nipple baby has to take the whole surrounds into his mouth also.... breast feeding should not be brutle as you have said.... I would call your midwife now and get her there now.... don't give up because you are doing ok you just need help getting the latch right...My link
My midwife said lots of lanolin, airing and try and get sun onto it if possible! I would probably get it checked out though as 7 months on should've toughened up by now!

I would get checked for an infection. I insisted on getting bactroban from the GP (who agreed), cleared it up in less than 24hrs.

Goodluck (I too had a very "rough" feeder, she actually caused one of my nipples to crack at 13mths!
Sign in to follow this topic