Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. WONT DRINK FROM A BOTTLE/ WHAT IS THE BEST FOMULA

WONT DRINK FROM A BOTTLE/ WHAT IS THE BEST FOMULA Lock Rss

Hi there

I would love some help on getting my little one to drink from a bottle.

She is 6 months old and has been on boob milk only up to now. (other than when she was 5 days old and had a bottle with no hassle)

So far I have tried:

Different teats and bottle

Breast or fomula EVEN water to see

When shes hungry when shes not

Dream feeding her

Letting anyone and everyone else feed her when I'm not here

Slipping boob out and giving her bottle.

Going cold turkey YES it was long enough 12hours yes I know its not good for them (dont worry I was up all night feeding her)

She just hates the taste of anything the comes out. And once she has tasted the fomula she just pushes it away. It tastes nasty.

Could anyone who has had a stubborn as hell baby please give me some tips - Plunket she give it to her on a teaspoon. Im pretty sure that would take all day and dont want to make it such a hassle for her dad who will be her primary carer from next month.

And what is the best fomula for babies I have been giving her Heinz Nurture Gold Starter

Thanks for anyone who replies smile
My DD#2 didn't want to take the bottle either. I did the same changed teats then went onto formulas. I found she liked a soft latex teat to start with.

But the formula she loved was Bellamy's Organic baby formula. It was the most natural milk flavour of all the formulas I tried with her. I found it was a great/more natural option to start her on. Its available from Coles & most Safeway stores. Although after she got used to taking the bottle I was able to switch her to Heinz Nurture without a problem.

So while its difficult to find something she will want to take when trying to make the switch from breast to bottle. The real issue for the baby is not so much the formula or teat, but the fact that any bottle is not a breast.

I hope she starts to take the bottle for you soon! But just keep trying!
DD didn't want to take a bottle either but since she wasn't getting enough from me she had to go on formula. I just kept persisting. I'd hold her and try, lay her down and try, sit her up and try. Then one day, propped up against a pillow she drank it happily and from then on was ok with switching from breast to bottle for a top up.
I never changed formulas or teats (besides the fact that we just couldn't afford to do that), she got used to the one we used (Wyeth S-26).

Good luck with finding something that works!

Iv'e recently started supplementing feeds as I don't have enough milk & had the same issue. She'll only take the tommy tippy closer to nature bottles & the Nuby ones that came with my breast pump. They are both the wider round teats, much likes boobs I suppose.

We had her on s26 gold but she got really bad constipation & relux so we have switched her to Novalac which is from the chemist. $26 but well worth it. Instant change & very happy baby (& MummY)!

They also have a constipation & relux one so occasionally she gets the constipation one as she is prone to it. Hope this helps & goodluck!
The NAN HA gold tastes like breast milk. Or at least it tasted liked mine tongue I can just suggest you try it for yourself. The HA's are easier to digest. So what if they cost a bit more, your child is worth it. And make sure you warm it to your body temp so it seems just like yours. AND use a bottle like the Tommee Tippee closer to nature bottles, more natural shape.

Also just wanted to add... S26 gold tastes and smells like mashed potatos.

Hi,
I know your frustration ....I had a DS#2 who was the same . I ended up using Karecare and Advent bottles, however I used a slower teat to begin with as I think the flow was too quick for him at the start, then the games began. It took us ( my husband, mother-in-law and I) about a week of constantly offering him only the bottle. First it was my mother-in-law and husband ( I would give him a breast feed in the morning and one in the evening but not any other time. He resisted at first but soon realised if he did not drink the bottle then he missed out and he was not going to do that LOL. Hope this helps you a little good luck smile
I have just weened my DD & she would take a bottle either, and I have just gone to a cup or a sippy cup. She currently loves a straw sippy cup.
I use S26 gold progress. And weening has gone really smoothly over the past 5 weeks.
my daughter wouldnt take the boob so i put her on formula from day one and i have to say its been great she sleeps very well nearly all night cause she full and content im 31 weeks pregant now and i will be doing the same with this baby when she was on formula i had a few friends that are breast feeding and they are constantly awake with baby is contestantly hungry every 2-4 hr

Hi there

I would love some help on getting my little one to drink from a bottle.

She is 6 months old and has been on boob milk only up to now. (other than when she was 5 days old and had a bottle with no hassle)

So far I have tried:

Different teats and bottle

Breast or fomula EVEN water to see

When shes hungry when shes not

Dream feeding her

Letting anyone and everyone else feed her when I'm not here

Slipping boob out and giving her bottle.

Going cold turkey YES it was long enough 12hours yes I know its not good for them (dont worry I was up all night feeding her)

She just hates the taste of anything the comes out. And once she has tasted the fomula she just pushes it away. It tastes nasty.

Could anyone who has had a stubborn as hell baby please give me some tips - Plunket she give it to her on a teaspoon. Im pretty sure that would take all day and dont want to make it such a hassle for her dad who will be her primary carer from next month.

And what is the best fomula for babies I have been giving her Heinz Nurture Gold Starter

Thanks for anyone who replies smile

My youngest refused to have the bottle driving me spare as she was a tiny baby and would feed every 1-2 hours. She eventually went on bottle but would still want the breast so I'd combine. I had trouble with formulas but Karicare was recommended by my GP as it is thicker and tends to fill them up a bit more. The bottles I used was Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature as it makes them work for the milk as they would breast and you can change the teat the older they get ie slower to faster. Having said that, I won't tell you how long it took to get her off the boob completely!

The best advice that my GP told me was "you do what's best for you and what works" and that's what I did. It can be traumatic for the baby and for you so you do what works and what makes you both feel comfortable and happy.
Sign in to follow this topic