Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

I am a leaking faucet Lock Rss

Bub is 4 weeks old, exclusively breastfed. No complaints, except I leak milk ALL THE TIME.

I had really back cracked nipples and they are still healing, so I try to go topless and air them out after a feed/shower and I sleep topless. It helps my nipples feel better, but I drench literally everything. I go through at least 2 tops/bras a day, regardless of how often I change breast pads. I drench countless towels and burp clothes a day, not to mention often spray my DP during night feeds. The breast I am not feeding from will always have a let down when the other one does, not to mention random let downs whenever they feel like it. smile

It's sooo frustrating. I am thrilled I have an abundant supply, but I hate suddenly feeding cold and wet and sleeping on a soaked towel all night. When did you leaking let up/stop?

Bub is 4 weeks old, exclusively breastfed. No complaints, except I leak milk ALL THE TIME.

I had really back cracked nipples and they are still healing, so I try to go topless and air them out after a feed/shower and I sleep topless. It helps my nipples feel better, but I drench literally everything. I go through at least 2 tops/bras a day, regardless of how often I change breast pads. I drench countless towels and burp clothes a day, not to mention often spray my DP during night feeds. The breast I am not feeding from will always have a let down when the other one does, not to mention random let downs whenever they feel like it. smile

It's sooo frustrating. I am thrilled I have an abundant supply, but I hate suddenly feeding cold and wet and sleeping on a soaked towel all night. When did you leaking let up/stop?

hee hee yes it will stop (hopefully) you could put a cup or baby bottle under the one you arn't using and save it in case thats what i did but never use the milk and have sinced tipped it out but saved a lot of wet teeshirts
I do that sometimes, but bub has some problems attaching so I have to use both my hands for the first few minutes, which is when the flood gates open.

really i am just having a whinge and I am sure it will get better, but it is so annoying. angry
There are these thinggies - I can't remember what they are called! But they are made by Avent and you stick one in your bra before you start feeding from the other boob and it collects the milk hands free... hang on I'll see if I can rustle up a link so you can see what I'm talking about...
http://www.philips.co.uk/c/avent-baby-breastfeeding/6-pcs-scf157_02/prd/ That's what they look like... I got mine in NZ so you are bound to be able to get them in OZ. I used to tip the milk out, but (as Subzero said) it saved on a lot of washing!!

http://www.philips.co.uk/c/avent-baby-breastfeeding/6-pcs-scf157_02/prd/ That's what they look like... I got mine in NZ so you are bound to be able to get them in OZ. I used to tip the milk out, but (as Subzero said) it saved on a lot of washing!!

I used these too, chemists in Aus have them smile

I was like that with my first daughter! Just had SOOO much milk that i had to attach her after my let-down, as my letdown would spray to strongly n almost drown her in milk! Sooo annoying changing tops all the time - half the nappy bag was filled with tops n bras for me!! CRAZY!!

So when bubba #2 arrived i pumped a bit inbetween each feed (which did feel like i had my boobs out 24/7, but i just kept telling myself i wasn't gonna b breastfeeding forever!!) Just pumped enough for comfort, n it seemed to help with th leaking...

Also i suggest giving the ABA hotline a call - they're avail 24/7 and always have ace advice on anything to do with breastfeeding!! They might have some good suggestions!! (1800 686 2 686).

oh and also try re-usable breastpads made from bamboo - its super absorbant and soft n gentle on sore nipples, and being a natural fibre, it breathes really well! babybeehinds.com.au have them, but so do many other places.

XOXO

Amy, VIC. Due Dec 09

I'd suggest freezing whatever you collect in ice cube trays or small containers for when you start solids - it's handy to have a little stored to mix with bub's cereal/veg etc. (I used to just tuck a small cup or container in my bra when I was feeding from the other side, but I didn't have a huge supply so didn't have a flood and every drop was precious!!)
thanks girlies. love the idea of the avent cup thingy, but i feel like i would overflow it! grin grin will pop into a few chemists and see if I can't find them.

The thing i did when i was breast feeding and sleeping at night is i wore maternity bras and nursing pads. Nursing pads help to soak up leakage and you wont have wet clothing or sheets. Cloth nappies folded over a few times can also help if you wear a tank top with a built in bra. As for cracked nipples i used Lucas' Paw Paw Ointment after breast feeding. You can get it at any chemist or supermarket for under $5. Also try using salt water and then clean it off before you feed your baby. My leaking stopped about a week or more after i had stopped officially breast feeding. I hope this info has helped.
I had the same problem with Baby No.2. I leaked all the time, went through 2 bras per day and 3-4 sets of breast pads everyday. Every time I fed from one side the other side would not just leak but squirt!! It didn't stop until I stopped feeding during the day when I went back to work.

One trick I learnt was to wear patterned tops so when I did leak while I was out and about, the wet spots weren't as obvious. If only I knew about these beast shields smile

Good Luck
I've just started to slow down on the leaking thing and bub is 4 months. I use to be changing washable pads ever hour other wise it would soak through the bra and and singlet and my top. Of a night i'd fold a washer into thirds and put between my bra and pads to try and catch some but would often still have to get up to change. Now i only leak when feeding, in the bath or if bub goes longer than usual for a feed.
And patterned tops are great for hiding wet patches.
Sign in to follow this topic