Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Sick of being told its time to stop breastfeeding!!

Sick of being told its time to stop breastfeeding!! Rss

What is with people? They tell you that breast is best but once your baby/babies get to a certain age they turn around and start telling you that you should stop breastfeeding!

Why do they do this?

I get it from my mum, sister and even strangers when they find out how old my girls are. I have started weaning but don't want to completely give up b/f yet but no-one gets this and it is really frustrating. I have had no problems with b/f and enjoy the bonding and one on one time I get with each baby so in my eyes I don't see why I should stop.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Tell them to bugger off! Or tell them that it is suggested that it is best to keep breastfeeding until a baby is 18 months old (which is true!!) As soon as you have a baby everyone starts telling you that you are doing things wrong, I told my mum that she had her turn and that it is my turn now! Although now I think of it my Mum is pretty good at letting me do things my way...
Oh god i know how you feel as soon as my DD turned 1 and i was still breast feeding everyone looked at me like i had an infectious disease!!
I was in this exact same situation until recently and boy did I get fed up!

My son is nearly 18 months old and I only stopped breastfeeding last week even though I am 28 weeks pregnant! I had intended on weaning at 12 months but he got really sick and it was the only thing he wanted so I carried on. He always has been super attached so why deny him?

In recent months I know he wasn't getting much from me but it wasn't hurting anyone and I didn't mind. I was only feeding first thing in the morning and just before his bed time the last little while anyway. Yet, when people found out, I got "Oh, you have to stop that!!!". Um, why?!?

I found it SO RUDE. Who is anyone to tell me when I should stop breastfeeding my baby!! Bugger off (I didn't say that to them but I thought it!). In hindsight, I should have said it! haha.

Do what suits you and your bubs. My son started showing less interest in the last month so I figured it was the right time and it was nice to enjoy it for that long. My last feed last week was in the morning while we had a cuddle and it was so nice to remember it that way. x
I definitely know what you mean. When people find out im still BF my 11 month old, i get strange looks & the conversation goes quiet. And some people point out how much clingier breastfed babies are to their mums than bottlefed babies which isnt always the case! It's so frustrating!!! ive had people say "she'll put on more weight with formula" and "why would you put your body through that when bottles are so easy?" and "breastmilk is useless after 1 month" seriously some people need to do more research before they make comments lol.
Seriously it is no one elses business what you are doing. People are never happy, if you don't breastfeed you get judged and if you do past 6 months you get judged. You are doing a great job b/f twins to begin with let alone doing it for this long I say people should be congratulating you.
Ever since DS was 10 months everyone even my family are asking when im weaning. DS has been sick for over 4 months and still sick. I don't plan on starting weaning until i see him get better. I now ignore comments im doing whats best for my child.
You're probably going to tell me it's irrelevant, but how old are your girls? I am all for BF to 12 months, if possible and beyond that if it's your preference. However, by that age, the need to do it when you're out and about is probably no longer there (or at least greatly reduced) as they are able to eat solids and drink other liquids. I do find BF beyond 2 years a little odd. This is just my opinion though and you should do what suits you and your kids.
I say good on you for BF your babies and keep on going for as long as it works for you and your little ones smile

I BF my babies until about 2years and I love everyminute of it. If anyone said anything to me I would just smile and nod. If it was friends and family I would remind them that BFing is what I do and it is my decision.

I find it amusing that people think that they know what is right for everyone else, just because one person does it a certain way doesnt mean that is the way it has to be done.

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

You're probably going to tell me it's irrelevant, but how old are your girls? I am all for BF to 12 months, if possible and beyond that if it's your preference. However, by that age, the need to do it when you're out and about is probably no longer there (or at least greatly reduced) as they are able to eat solids and drink other liquids. I do find BF beyond 2 years a little odd. This is just my opinion though and you should do what suits you and your kids.

They are almost 13 months old smile I also find it strange beyond 2 years, I think a nice time is 18 months old to have them completely weaned.

And yes you are correct they don't need it as much when we are out and one twin will happily take a bottle at any time but the other one doesn't really like the bottle so she has more b/feeds than her sister smile
Sign in to follow this topic