Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. 9 month old not drinking much milk

9 month old not drinking much milk Rss

My 9 month old dd is both breastfed and on formula, though lately her milk intake is becoming less and less.
On a typical day she has as follows:

6.00 am Breasfeed, one side only
7.30 am Cereal and toast
9.30 am Sleep
11.00 am Formula - maybe 40 ml
12.00 pm Lunch - yoghurt and sandwich, or custard and fruit
12.30 pm Sleep
2.30 pm Bottle - maybe 60ml
4.30pm Breasfeed - usually one side, sometimes small amount on other
5.45pm Solids - mashed up vegs and meat - starting to go off this as well
6.30pm Finger Food - has broccoli, peas, corn, carrot etc while we eat
7.00pm Bottle - maybe 120ml
During night, usually up once, breastfeed on one side only

I really don't know how much she is getting from the breastfeeds, I don't feel like I have a lot of milk.

She is only small with her last weigh in for her 9 month check up at 6.9kg, and then she only gained 210g in the last 6 weeks. She has also just started crawling, so the health nurse suggested that was the reason for not gaining much weight.

Should she be having more milk at this age, if yes how do I get her to drink it? And with the solids am I giving her enough or do I need to cut back to get her to drink more. She has only ever slept through for a couple of days and that was about a month ago, so other than that we are up every night at least once, sometimes twice. Would also love suggestions how to get her to sleep through, I am just about to head back to work part time and would love some unbroken sleep.

Thanks
Hi there, I can't quite remember what my DD was doing at 9 months, but what you have written makes me think she is having too much solids... Before babies are 1 solids are just a fun thing, not the main source of nutrition, so perhaps you could cut back on one of the meals or offer less?

As for sleeping through the night, some babies just don't do it! I know how frustrating it is when all you want is a proper night sleep but unfortunately that's what happens when we have babies grin

Waking once a night is actually a really good effort, are you feeding her when she wakes up? She could be hungry by that time... I'm not really sure if there is a trick to getting babies to sleep through, if someone else knows I'd love to hear it as my 3yr old still wakes up at least once a night!
I guess its hard to know how much exactly she is getting with the breastmilk but sounds like you are doing your best. I was told that at around 9 months, food is becoming more important than milk anyway and you should try to offer solids before milk. My 10 month old only has 3 formula feeds a day now (he was on 4 at 9 months).

They do tend to slow down in weight gain when they get moving.

With the her going off mashed meat and veg - my bub did this too once he worked out that he could feed himself. Offer more finger foods and if possible try to turn the family meals into finger food (cut in strips or mix mashed potato to make little balls of meat and veg, pasta spirals etc)
My DS started drinking less at 9 mths also, probably about 300 -350mls a day in total at a guess (hard to say as he never drinks the whole bottle). As jeanetteandbub also said I too was also told solids are becoming more important than milk. I spoke to my doctor and the plunket nurse about him drinking little and they both said that as long as he was getting yoghurt, cheese, custard, etc (ie lots of dairy and therefore calcium) that this was fine. DS absolutely loves plain water so he drinks plenty of that throughout the day as well, which makes me feel better as I know hes hydrated.

My 9 month old dd is both breastfed and on formula, though lately her milk intake is becoming less and less.
On a typical day she has as follows:

6.00 am Breasfeed, one side only
7.30 am Cereal and toast
9.30 am Sleep
11.00 am Formula - maybe 40 ml
12.00 pm Lunch - yoghurt and sandwich, or custard and fruit
12.30 pm Sleep
2.30 pm Bottle - maybe 60ml
4.30pm Breasfeed - usually one side, sometimes small amount on other
5.45pm Solids - mashed up vegs and meat - starting to go off this as well
6.30pm Finger Food - has broccoli, peas, corn, carrot etc while we eat
7.00pm Bottle - maybe 120ml
During night, usually up once, breastfeed on one side only

I really don't know how much she is getting from the breastfeeds, I don't feel like I have a lot of milk.

She is only small with her last weigh in for her 9 month check up at 6.9kg, and then she only gained 210g in the last 6 weeks. She has also just started crawling, so the health nurse suggested that was the reason for not gaining much weight.

Should she be having more milk at this age, if yes how do I get her to drink it? And with the solids am I giving her enough or do I need to cut back to get her to drink more. She has only ever slept through for a couple of days and that was about a month ago, so other than that we are up every night at least once, sometimes twice. Would also love suggestions how to get her to sleep through, I am just about to head back to work part time and would love some unbroken sleep.

Thanks
Hi
Your DD sounds alot like mine. She is 9mth too & only 6.3kg. She is also Breastfeed & bottle. She feeds 1/2hr on 1 side when breastfeed & only has 30-60ml from a bottle. She has always been this way.
Her normal day is:
5-6am - feed & goes back to sleep
7.30am - wakes up & has breakfast
9am - feed then sleep for 1-1.5hrs
11.30am - lunch
1.30pm - feed then sleep 1hr
(has a snack between this time most days as it is a long time to go with out but i have to work around school pickups)
5.30pm - dinner & same as you will then have finger food when we eat!
7.30pm - feed & down for the night
she also wakes for a feed around 11pm & 2am!!
Due to her being so small & only put on 1/2kg in 3mths she had to see a paediatrician.
I was told her size is most likely due to alot going on with her as @ 6mths they build their own immune system, she has cut 7 teeth in 4mths & crawling. She also has low iron & vitamin D & few other things so thats not helping.
I was told by the pedi not to be concerned about the lack of milk & if shes a good eater work on that. She told me if she ok with dairy to add butter & olive oil to her foods & give her cheese & yogurt. The doc also told me that she will get more Iron & Vitamins from a good formula than me & so try & make at least 2 feeds formula = 100-120mls of formula a day (but that is because of her low iron & vitamins)
The last few days I have worked on not feeding @ night. she cried fot 2.5hrs the first night, less than a 1hr the second night & slept from 10.30pm - 5am last night. so maybe just refuse to feed & she will learn. There is also a good book called save our sleep! Its ment to be fantastic but I have not read it!
Hope my little story helps smile & if your worried go see a GP or paediatrician. Our paediatrician appointment went for 45mins & was fully bulk-billed smile
Hi

My 9 month old is as follows:

7.00am breakfast (porridge and stewed fruit) followed almost immediately by breast feed (both sides)
9.30am breastfeed (both sides)- finger food eg rice cakes, fruit
12.00pm lunch - pasta or rice and meat / fish and veg (similar to adult meals but no salt etc and lumpy)plus yoghurt. Drink: water
2.30 breast feed (both sides)
5.00pm dinner - similar to lunch but no dessert. Drink: water
6.30 breast feed (both sides) and then bed

I had concerns that he only put on 90g in 6 weeks and so changed routine from milk then solids to the above. I thought it seemed well planned in terms of times for feeds / meals. This routine is based on Annabel Karmels book and it seems to work really well for me and son. I also had concerns about the amount he is taking from the breast, as he suddenly started feeding so quickly, but advice from community nurse said he will take what he wants and might just have got a lot more efficient. I certainly know if he misses a feed!

I know everyone gets different advice but i like others have been told that solids are now becoming more important than milk, and I guess I am seeing milk as a drink rather than 'feed' and he is now also wanting / needing more water between meals. His weight gain is still not massive but he is constantly on the go and must use up so much energy. He is happy, alert, seems healthy enough and I have simply been told not to worry !

As for waking in the night I asked about this as he was occasionally sleeping through - I was told by community nurse that 'if he can sleep through a few times there is no reason he can't do it all the time - try not feeding him'. It took a couple of nights to settle him without feeding him but I haven't fed him in the night since about 5 months and more often than not, he sleeps through. If not he wakes just once, sometimes settles himself (if I give him chance) and I simply have to soothe him - takes a couple of minutes.

Good luck!
Sign in to follow this topic