Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. 12week old and won't feed at all... Help!!

12week old and won't feed at all... Help!! Rss

My 12 week old daughter has just decided she won't take the bottle, screams performs and won't drink. I weaned her off the breast about 4 weeks ago due to numerous problems and she adjusted well to the formula fine. It's just Karicare newborn formula so nothing special. The last day I've been giving the reflux formula and she'll take it. But she'll only take 50-70 mls a feed so nowhere near enough, when she supposed to have 200ml a feed. But how can it be possible that she only now has reflux and not prior to now? She's always been windy but not a spiller or screamer!
A couple if weeks ago she started to refuse the bottle so I put the next size teat on it and she started drinking again normally but that hasnt worked this time. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem ?

My 12 week old daughter has just decided she won't take the bottle, screams performs and won't drink. I weaned her off the breast about 4 weeks ago due to numerous problems and she adjusted well to the formula fine. It's just Karicare newborn formula so nothing special. The last day I've been giving the reflux formula and she'll take it. But she'll only take 50-70 mls a feed so nowhere near enough, when she supposed to have 200ml a feed. But how can it be possible that she only now has reflux and not prior to now? She's always been windy but not a spiller or screamer!
A couple if weeks ago she started to refuse the bottle so I put the next size teat on it and she started drinking again normally but that hasnt worked this time. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem ?

Hi

Firstly what is on the tin is just a guide, none of my kids ever graduated to drinking 200mls at a time before 6 months and even then it might be only twice a day that they'd drink that much, all other feeds were between 100 and 150mls.

Why do you think she now has reflux? Your bub is only very little, 70mls might be enough for her at the moment. Maybe give her a day or so of demand feeding - ie dont try and feed her unless she's crying for it and wants to take the bottle... and let her re-adjust into her own routine, not what the formula tin says she should be doing. Might be that she wants to feed at smaller volumes and more regular intervals, not big volumes at 4 hourly intervals like the tin suggests.

Sometimes they go through funny phases of not wanting to drink and we think they are going to starve - not so. My youngest in particular did this and it lasted a week, their appetites do go up and down - sometimes they eat alot and sometimes they dont.

So in a nutshell I'd forget what the formula tin says and feed her what she wants to eat, if she's really miserable I'd take her to the Dr for a check up.
How is she otherwise? Could she have a sore throat or tummy? If you're worried I'd take her to your GP for piece of mind. Make sure she's still having 5 heavy wet nappies a day - if not I'd take her to be checked out. Hope she improves for you soon. smile
my first was very similar, he would guzzle his bottle and then have wind issues and would not drink at his next feed, i actually did what the PP said, and let him tell me when he was hungry and would only make up the amount stated on the guide for their age/weight. Also because he was really windy and had lots of issues getting it out i would also use Infacol (wind drops) in every bottle which really helped. good luck!

Thanks for the reply, I dont think she has reflux but got that formula to see if it was - pulling her knees up arching her back and screaming when it was feed time. For the last month she has fed between 100-150 mls so I don't think she is a huge eater anyway. But to suddenly refuse it and bend the teat in half with her tongue is weird. Took her to gp today for 3mth vaccinations and she thinks she is fine cos she is happy alert and content. Not to mention she is 7kg! I still wonder if it's the teats but feel like I'm confusing her with all the different bottles and sized teats. I want her to be back on the original formula but tried it agin today and she obviously knew it wasn't the thick stuff and it just spilled everywhere and screamed. Maybe I should just persevere with regular powder and usual teat and work her back up to faster one if she's getting impatient?
is that the karicare ar? i found it to thick went to starter with infant gaviscon. omg iv been having battles to! my wee 7week girl started chugging back 150ml bottles no spills but diagnosed with silent reflux on meds suddenly the next week shes power chucking everywhere up to 2hours after her feed reduced the bottles still chucking finally weve gone from 50ml to 100mls 4 hourly in 3 days its been hard work loads of tears (my own) and loads of washing! i tried all sorts tho letting her sleep and she slept from 9pm til 7am!!! still chucked her feed. we now burp every 30ml she had to go to hosp for dehydration they reckon 50ml 3 hourly is maintance feed but im not getting up all night long if she wants to sleep thru!!

Thanks for the reply, I dont think she has reflux but got that formula to see if it was - pulling her knees up arching her back and screaming when it was feed time. For the last month she has fed between 100-150 mls so I don't think she is a huge eater anyway. But to suddenly refuse it and bend the teat in half with her tongue is weird. Took her to gp today for 3mth vaccinations and she thinks she is fine cos she is happy alert and content. Not to mention she is 7kg! I still wonder if it's the teats but feel like I'm confusing her with all the different bottles and sized teats. I want her to be back on the original formula but tried it agin today and she obviously knew it wasn't the thick stuff and it just spilled everywhere and screamed. Maybe I should just persevere with regular powder and usual teat and work her back up to faster one if she's getting impatient?

What bottles and teats are you using?
I have tommee tippee 1,2 & 3 teats. And avent 1,2 & 3 and the variable flow teats where you turn it round and it changes the flow. She took normal formula this afternoon from 2 different teats. So I think if she is hungry enough she'll eventually drink it. She then fell asleep for 3 hrs. She is really windy as well, always has been and I usually put unravel in bottle but have never noticed a difference. To be honest I've never found anything even gaviscon has worked.
Your DD might be having less of the reflux formula because it is thickened and therefore fills her tummy quicker?

We tried many different formula's with DD and then found out that they need to be on one type for at least 4 weeks before you can really determine if it is the best for them.

Like the PP, did your GP look at her throat? We had this issue and took DD to the hospital around your bubs age as she refused to drink for 2 days and it turned out her throat was sore, we had been to the GP the day before who had not even looked in her mouth!!

Joshua_Samantha_Grant my DD was very similar that she always chucked, she has always been very small, but always happy and healthy, like your bub she was sleeping though, so I didn't bother with waking her for a feed. I found that adding Karicare thickner to her formula helped, not sure if that is similar to kariare AR though? Also we started solids early and he chucking almost disappeared.
Thanks for all your suggestions! Yep gp checked ears and throat before her 3 mth jabs the other day. I seem to have had a breakthrough. It seems she isn't hungry cos when she wants it she'll have a good 130-150mls. Have gone back to regular formula and she is happy on a number 2 teat. But instead of offering it to her when I thought she'd be hungry after her sleeps which is 2-3 hrly' she doesn't actually want it then! But probably wants to be asleep still. Her sleep is very broken due to the catnaps which I haven't conquered yet. So today she had a 4 hr gap between feeds and too the bottle fine! 150ml down the hatch and back into bed!! She has been feeding fine thru the night feed too. So I think demand feeding is the way I just got hung up on routine with formula and the bottle. So after lots of screaming I think she is still awesome!
Hi, my DS is exactly the same. He is 3 months, 7 kgs and drinks between 200 and 240mls every 4 hours (5 bottles a day). He screams, arches his back, goes red in the face and refuses to drink if he has a burp in his belly. I have to wind him and get the burp before he will continue again. My DD was exactly the same and it's very common. I put Infacol in every bottle and wind before a bottle as well. Good luck, it is so hard sometimes bottle feeding.
She could be having a wonder week. My DS was feeding less, refusing some feeds at 12 weeks (he's BF) and acting a bit funny. He was back to his usual self after a few days and started doing more things.
Sign in to follow this topic