Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Breastfeeding Lock Rss

Ok so i know there is a section for this, but i have seen quite a few breastfeeding threads in general and see that there are a lot of passionate ladies that frequent this forum so wanted to post a few questions in the hopes of some decent answers smile

I'm a new breastfeeder so have oodles of questions, especially since this is my third baby i really want to get it right.

So firstly, how long did it take for nipple soreness to settle down? during a feed my nipples are fine but at the beginning i get about 30 seconds of stinging.

How long did/does your baby spend at the breast (my baby is 2 weeks old)? And do they have the other side?

How frequently did/does your baby feed??

And at what age did your baby drop a night feed?

Obviously I know the answers will vary some what but at least it may give me some sort of idea!
Thanks so much for any replies smile
My nipples got better after a couple of weeks, but then got sore again as teeth came into play smile

DS used to spend up to an hour to feed, while DD is usually done in around 15 mins - so it all depends on the baby. DS always wanted both sides, DD only has the 2nd side sometimes.

Both usually went 2 1/2 - 3 hours between feeds. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I demand fed DS and am current demand feeding DD so pretty much whenever they seem hungry I offer the boob. I had read that they should go 4 hours between feeds, but I think that is more for formula babies.

As for the night feed, who knows! DD is 4 months old now and sometimes has 1 feed at night, but most nights she has 2.

Eventually you will fall into some sort of routine and the time between feeds will spread out. I found it helpful with DS to keep a note of when he fed and how long for and then I could really see a pattern emerge smile
Congrats on bub, what an exciting time!

My nipples were cracked and bleeding for 4 weeks and sore for 8 due to poor attachment - took ages to heal though.

At 2 weeks DS would have both sides every feed, for 30-60 mins a side every 3-4 hrs. He didn't really know what he was doing until he was a bit older though as he still wasn't getting enough milk.

He started stretching out a bit at night around 3 weeks - so would have one 5-6 hour gap in the evening.

If you're feeding on demand, bub is having lots of wet and dirty nappies and is reasonably content between feeds its all good! Bub should be back to birth weight now too at 2 weeks.

Good luck!
Congrats on your baby smile

Breastfeeding is such a difficult thing, so I'm happy or you that you have come somewhere to get the info you need smile

My DD is 3 months old and I feel that we are still learning and getting used to the whole BF thing. But i do love it!!

Soreness: Still sometimes can be sore, as my right boob has fast milk flow, so DD slips down my nipple to avoid being choked. Been to a latch consultant and all. But with my other boob i would say it was like a month after?

How long did/does your baby spend at the breast and do they have the other side?: 10-15 mins i reckon for a feed. We used to block feed (feed from one boob for 6 hours which ended up being 4 feeds) as i had an over supply, then change to the boobs. We now feed from each boob every feed. One boob when she gets up, burp, nappy change, play, boob then bed time.

How frequently did/does your baby feed?: In the first month i fed every 3 hours during the day, every 4 hours during the night so her weight was good. Now it can vary during the day from every hour, to being 4 hours apart. Just take it as it comes.

At what age did your baby drop a night feed?: DD would get up once during the night from about 6 weeks old, up until 11 weeks. Now she is sleeping through the night, waking at 6 every morning.

Hope this helps you smile Here to chat if you have more questions smile

Ok so i know there is a section for this, but i have seen quite a few breastfeeding threads in general and see that there are a lot of passionate ladies that frequent this forum so wanted to post a few questions in the hopes of some decent answers smile

I'm a new breastfeeder so have oodles of questions, especially since this is my third baby i really want to get it right.

So firstly, how long did it take for nipple soreness to settle down? during a feed my nipples are fine but at the beginning i get about 30 seconds of stinging.

How long did/does your baby spend at the breast (my baby is 2 weeks old)? And do they have the other side?

How frequently did/does your baby feed??

And at what age did your baby drop a night feed?

Obviously I know the answers will vary some what but at least it may give me some sort of idea!
Thanks so much for any replies smile

My second baby is nearly 5 weeks old and i am no longer experiencing any discomfort whilst feeding. From about 4 weeks onwards it got much easier.
My baby tends to have one side per feed but i usually offer the second side after burping.
at 2 weeks of age he was feeding roughly 3 hourly day and night and now he is starting to stretch it out to 4 -4.5 hourly.
He went 6 hours overnight a couple of nights ago and it was absolute bliss to get that much sleep in one hit!!

Good luck smile
So glad you asked these questions!

My DS2 is nearly 2 weeks old and I was unsuccessful in feeding DS1 so it all feels new to me too.
My nipples are still a bit tender when he latches on, but it resolves pretty quickly, initially it was like razor blades! I'm feeding roughly every 3 hrs during the day and 3-5 hourly overnight, it takes about half an hour to feed, 15 minutes each side.
The best advice I got was if you can bf for the first 6 weeks you will bf for as long as you like. It took the full 6 weeks for it to get easier for me and I had many times where I wanted to give up - but I had that goal of 6 weeks which helped me to stick it out.

Other than that - I used Lasinoh after every feed. And if it got sore I would alternate feeds using a nipple shield. I had no problems with her getting her off the nipple sheild when I didn't need to use it anymore as I had purposefully had one feed with it, then the next without it.

Once bubs gets a bit older they also learn how to attach properly and it gets easier for both of you.

The initial stages of trying to bf is hard! But stick it out and you'll get there!

Thanks so much for all your advice and kind words smile

We have settled into a pattern of 3 hourly feeding during the day and 4 hourly at night. My nipples aren't sore just the 30 seconds of stinging when he first latches.

I forget its only been 2 weeks feels like much longer. I'm sure i'll learn so much more in the coming weeks, and wonder the answers to more questions too.

I'm really enjoying it and hoping things continue to go so well. It feels so new to me like i am a first time mum, which is nice in a way smile

Thanks again!!!
Hello and Congratulations.
That soreness you feel in the first 30 seconds or so may be from your letdown. I had that for a few weeks (maybe the first 5 or 6?). I'm feeding my third bub who has just gone 2 months and it is gone now.
I've found all my bubs have been different, so just try to respond to what bub is trying to tell you when it comes to timings - not always easy when you have another two kids wanting your attention!
As for night time feeds who knows? My first was sleeping through by a couple of months old, the next didn't sleep through till 20 months (no idea when he stopped night feeding, he just didn't want to sleep) and this time round the pattern has seemed to go 7.30, 12, 2, 4, 7 right up till last night when he droped the 2 o'lock and changed the 7am to 6am.
I was really lucky to have an amazing midwife on my last night in hospital. She sat down with me and watched me feed, every feed for the last night and explained everything with tips on latching, different holds and examined my bubs latch and how to latch him on properly with ease! I was so frightened I'd break him I thought he was that fragile, but the way she held him and moved him to the breast with gentle firmness was so great to see and so easy to learn from! I don't think I'd be breastfeeding now if it weren't for her!

Other than that, you should definatley check out the Australia Breastfeeding Association - they are such a good organisation providing free info on breastfeeding and a free support service that you can call to talk to. All the phone operators are breastfeeding mums and have had soooo much experience with pretty much anything you can come up with! Their number is 1800MUM2MUM - one of the best resources out there - should def use them - we can't afford to not have them!
my bubs is 6days old and ive been using a nipple shield for the last 2days as my nipples are really cracked and sore.
i stopped using it today as the midwife said it reduces milk supply.
on the left nipple it stings for about the 1st 30secs then is fine but on the right nipple it is jst about unbearable for the 1st minute.
its starting to get easier as my nipples heal again.
Sign in to follow this topic