Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

lactation consutant Lock Rss

hey everyone just wondering how hard it is to become a lactation consultant anyone one? looking for info an advice as i am thinking of becoming one as it has been suggested by health nurses an midwives that this would suit me so if anyone could offer some advice etc i would be much appreciate it smile

It's something I looked into a while back. You need to be a registered health professional (which I am) and have about 90 hours of practical work, or have done a significant amount of study towards a health professional degree. I think around ten units including anatomy and physiology etc as well as 1000 hours of pratical hours. It looked liked it was all a bit too hard for me, but if you're keen it would really rewarding.

You need to do an exam too.

You can also start as a volunteer Breastfeeding Counsellor with the Australian Breastfeeding Association. It takes around 12-18 months to do the self paced training to volunteer, then after two years you can sit the IBLCE exam if you have studied a few extra things, one is anatomy.

Info on volunteering and training with ABA is here http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/training/index.html

Hope that helps.

thank you very much

Sign in to follow this topic