Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Breast pumps Lock Rss

I'm looking for an electric breast pump but there are so may on the market. Can anyone reccomend a good one? It would be used for occassional use smile
I also love my Medela Swing, it was around $290 new.

I initially had a Tommee Tippee CTN electric pump, but it hurt my damaged nipples and was ok, but not super effective, so I had to buy a Swing as well because I had low supply. I can usually get double the milk from the Swing that I can with the TT CTN, in about half the time.
I had a medela mini electric as I only used it occasionally. It was fantastic!
I have a medela swing as pp said it is a bit expensive, but mine gets a lot of use and I haven't had any problems

Well i'm on the medela swing baand wagonn to. I love mine.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't really want to spend a huge amount so might look into the medela mini! smile
I expressed full time for three months and I tried both the manual and electric Avent pumps. I actually prefered using the manual pump and thought that it worked better than the electric. However, I did break a three of them but I just took it back to Toys R Us or Target and swapped it. Toys R Us told me that a lot of the manual pumps are returned for breaking but when I called Avent they were very rude and told me that it had never happened before and it was my fault. I used Avent bottles so it was a massive advantage having everything work together.
save your money and hire one!

I have one and only used it a few times, I hate the whole concept of expressing! I have not used it for this bub yet, and hopefully I won't have to as I hate expresing that much!

Yes I dislike the manual and electric pumps...I guess I am not the expressing type.
Another vote for the swing, love it. I double pumped in hospital and bought a swing on my way home when I left so I could double pump at home (a friend had given me her swing when I got pregnant which was lucky). I got so much more with the swing than I did with the Hospital pump (a medela lactina) and they are so portable and easy to use.
We thought about hiring but even being an ABA member it was still $20 plus a week, so I figured after 3 months of use I could have bought a really good one for the same amount, and would have it to use for as long as need. Think I paid $270 for my swing.
I'm going against the grain here in saying the Swing, for me, was absolute rubbish! I got more milk out in less time with my then 5 year old manual Avent pump.

My midwife loaned me a Medela Mini on about day 5 when I came down with mastitis which was okay. I second the recommendation to look at hireage if you can before you decide to buy one as you can then maybe try several different pumps to find the one best suited to you.

Have you considered hand expressing if you aren't going to be expressing all that much?

I'm going against the grain here in saying the Swing, for me, was absolute rubbish! I got more milk out in less time with my then 5 year old manual Avent pump.

My midwife loaned me a Medela Mini on about day 5 when I came down with mastitis which was okay. I second the recommendation to look at hireage if you can before you decide to buy one as you can then maybe try several different pumps to find the one best suited to you.

Have you considered hand expressing if you aren't going to be expressing all that much?

That's a good idea, maybe hire and see if you can swap and try others. I have heard of people who have said they can hand express more then a pump gets (I'm not one of those people, I get nothing).
Don't go with the avent electric soooo bloody noisy its not funny. the tommy tippy hand pump is useless if you have large nipples (not enough length in the tube).
Sign in to follow this topic