Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. breast milk not enough want to start bottle feeding

breast milk not enough want to start bottle feeding Lock Rss

i have a 14 week old bub who isnt putting on enough weight and i think its because my milk is drying up ive tried lots things to help my supply but nothing is working so want to get her onto bottle using formula but she refuses it, iv tried starting her on breast then putting bottle in she takes a few mouthfuls and pulls away and look for breast, and starting on bottle she refuses if anyone has got any ideas or tips please help me
thanks

i have a 14 week old bub who isnt putting on enough weight and i think its because my milk is drying up ive tried lots things to help my supply but nothing is working so want to get her onto bottle using formula but she refuses it, iv tried starting her on breast then putting bottle in she takes a few mouthfuls and pulls away and look for breast, and starting on bottle she refuses if anyone has got any ideas or tips please help me
thanks

Have you spoken to a lactation consultant about how to increase your supply? I've heard that the same raspberry leaf tablets you take before birth can help, also when i was getting low I'd eat lots of protein and that increased my production.

But if you want to bottle feed, I'd recommend getting someone else to feed her when she's quite hungry, that way she won't smell the breast milk on you. I had to give my ds formula for 24 hours when he was about 5 months after I had a ct scan, and he would only take it from dh, if I tried to feed him he'd look for the breast. (only for the first few bottles, once he got the hang of it he'd take it from me)

Good luck.
How often does she feed from you? The more you feed - the more milk you make.

My milk was a bit slow to come in when dd was born, it took 5 days. I was told to start feeding her every hour to get it to come in, and it worked.

A bit later down the track I felt like my milk was waning so I fed her every hour for a day and the next day I had a ton of milk again.

At 14 weeks your milk supply will be starting to settle into just making what your baby needs. It can seem like you don't have enough - because you've gone from having a HEAP when milk first comes in and having weeks of fluctuating supply.

Like others have said - if she's happy that's ok. If she's not LOSING weight, and still gaining slowly, that's ok!

Hi,

Did you know that there is a Breastfeeding Helpline that you can email here http://breastfeeding.asn.au/products/counselling.asp#email ?

A qualified Breastfeeding Counsellor will email you back, they are also trained in how to support mums to wean safely if that's what you want.

Sign in to follow this topic