Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Feeling drained Lock Rss

Hey ladies, I've bf my daughter who is almost 6 months and recently started introducing some farex. At first she seemed very keen on the food but seems less interested but will eat a small amount.

The reason I started food was because I am starting to feel physically drained from the bfing (I think its from that anyway) and bub was reaching for food and smacking her lips etc.

People keep commenting that I've lost weight which I'm becoming a bit concious of even though I eat like a horse and feel like I drink a lot of fluids in a day. I've decided to start taking multivitamins again to see if it helps.

Has anyone had this happen? Any suggestions on what I should do? I don't think its the farex being bland coz I tried giving her pureed apples n veg and she seemed to hate it and do like a sour face shiver gag thing with every spoonful so I've stopped that.

I'm thinking it may be time to wean her if I can't sort it out but she had a skin reaction to formula when tried it so am hesitant to try again. Suggestions to continue bfing?
This happened to me with my second and third children... I was pregnant so I know that is different, however I still think it is for the same reason if you suspect it is caused by being run down.

You just really need to look after yourself to improve it I think.

Firstly, perhaps have a blood test to check your iron levels if there is a chance they could be low?
And better than multivitamins, improve your diet (although maybe multivitamins are better if you have nutritional deficiencies? Not sure)? If you keep a food diary for 1 or 2 weeks you may see things you could improve in your own life, in order to feel a bit better. There could be something you are missing out on in your normal diet?

I don't think you should have any trouble with breastfeeding and being run down if you are eating and drinking an adequate amount.

I hope that you feel better soon, as I understand completely the feeling of breastfeeding and having the energy literally sucked out of you!
Hi,

breastfeeding is tough, but it shouldn't leave you feeling completely ruined, especially if your diet and fluid intake is good. Although some women do struggle to keep weight on.

I would be heading to the Dr's for a check-up. While I've been breastfeeding I've had to have B12 injections, take extra calcium and magnesium and I've also had thyroid problems. All of these things (and other stuff like low iron) can make you feel drained, fatigued and make you lose weight. I'm also still taking a pregnancy/breastfeeding multi-vitamin. My girl is 10 months.

It's quite common to have thyroid problems after pregnancy, either hyper, hypo or both. A simple blood test for all of the above things should be able to give you an idea if anything's amiss.

Lack of sleep can also leave you feeling this way, my bub is still up 3-4 times a night and the Dr said that constant broken sleep is also contributing to my muscle fatigue, eye twitches, lack of energy. I don't have a solution for this yet, as I don't have a lot of support, but if you're not getting enough sleep maybe you could try for naps through the day?

With solids, they do make that "Ewww, mum, this is awful face" with new foods. If she's still got her tongue thrust reflex she may not be ready yet, otherwise, keep trying new foods gradually. She'll get the hang of it. I do baby led weaning and my girl would make those faces, but she'd keep putting the food in her mouth, so it can't have been too bad, lol.

If I were in your shoes, I would be getting my health looked at before changing anything, especially as you say she had a skin reaction to formula. Get some blood tests done- any good Dr should check your thyroid, iron, B12, hormone levels and I think mine even checked liver function and stuff. Your poor body has been through an awful lot over the last 15 months, don't under-estimate what pregnancy and breastfeeding can take out of you.

I hope you feel better soon (I'm still waiting, lol, but at least I know what's causing me to feel so bad) and be gentle with yourself, you're doing a great job smile

Sorry for the novel smile
Thanks for your replies ladies, I appreciate u taking the time to reply

Windmill I can only imagine breastfeeding while growing a baby! And running around after an older child/children I'm not surprised u experienced it too. U are right about its literally like having the energy sucked out of u lol

Mish - I do think a trip to the gp is a good idea even just to check or eliminate some things. My daughter has a tongue tie which complicates things a little with feeding but she seems to manage quite well considering, she does spit the food out sometimes but manages to swallow some spoonfuls too so its a bit confusing...most babies spit food a bit don't they? Maybe it is her reflex now I'm not sure...

Sleep is not a huge issue for me as my daughter tends to wake once occasionally twice during the night, but I guess just running after a 2yo as well is very exhausting at times.

Anyways I'll be booking into the Dr tmoz and check alls well. I hope you start getting better sleep, it really does take a toll on u hey
Hi, I am glad you have decided to go and get a check and make sure your levels are all good. Dont give up BF because of this, because with careful management you can overcome it smile

When you do eat make sure it is nutritionally rich foods. When I BF I eat alot of peanut butter, and foods like that that have a high fat content but good fats. It is important to make sure that what is going in equals what is coming out. I will eat chocolate(I love chocolate) but not a lot of chippies and greasy food that does not have a lot of nutritional benefit.

I am a very small lady and I was able to with careful nutrition and taking care of my needs as well as others BF all my kids for 2 years. My last I was looking after 3 kids, running a house and having to walk 10ish km a day.... so anything is possible if you have the determination to do it and you look after yourself wink

Good luck with this, you are doing well smile

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

The whole bfing shabang is incredibly tiring and draining...Something that I do remember the chn recommending was sustegen. One or two drinks of it a day between snacks and meals....Its good your going the the docs, too, to rule out anything whacky going on....Can you request a full blood count?
Good luck
:0)
l had the same issues with DS1. l ended up weaning to formula at 6 months as l felt l couldn't sustain him and me (he was also huge which didn't help!). l was lucky he didn't have any allergy to FF.

At least if you go to your GP and rule out any deficiencies, and still feel the need to finish BF, you know you have done everything you can.

Good luck at the doctors.

Thanks for your replies ladies, I appreciate u taking the time to reply

Windmill I can only imagine breastfeeding while growing a baby! And running around after an older child/children I'm not surprised u experienced it too. U are right about its literally like having the energy sucked out of u lol

Mish - I do think a trip to the gp is a good idea even just to check or eliminate some things. My daughter has a tongue tie which complicates things a little with feeding but she seems to manage quite well considering, she does spit the food out sometimes but manages to swallow some spoonfuls too so its a bit confusing...most babies spit food a bit don't they? Maybe it is her reflex now I'm not sure...

Sleep is not a huge issue for me as my daughter tends to wake once occasionally twice during the night, but I guess just running after a 2yo as well is very exhausting at times.

Anyways I'll be booking into the Dr tmoz and check alls well. I hope you start getting better sleep, it really does take a toll on u hey

It's great you're getting checked out smile It'll at least put your mind at rest. Hopefully you'll get some easy answers...

Tongue tie would make breastfeeding tough, I had heaps of issues, but not that one, lol. With the solids, babies do spit out food, it's a very messy process. smile My girl is 10 months and she still chews stuff up, then spits it out, then eats it again (gross). I think if you put a spoon in her mouth and her tongue doesn't automatically push it back out, then she's o.k. Just go slow and do try new foods more than once, as they do make those faces with new foods and it's not necessarily dislike. It's more that it's all so new smile

Good luck with everything smile
I do think I eat really well, and I will have seconds at dinner and 2 sandwiches at lunch quite often gutso lol of course treats here and there but overall a fairly good diet.

Will remember the sustagen suggestion thanks if its nothing else might just need that extra something

I had a good look tonight when I gave her some dinner to see what her tongue was doing and I'm pretty sure its not the reflex and more just her being a normal bub and making mess, she swallows most mouthfuls and she even decided to blow raspberries with a mouthful haha cheeky

I decided to try her on a diff formula tonight mixed with her farex as I'd been giving just water mixed in until now. She didn't react the same way as last time (severe rash around mouth neck causing her a lot of iritritation) but this time her eczema flared up on her neck and she was trying to scratch it not as bad as last time but still frustrating her, but more noticibly she seemed to have a tummy pain and was quite hard to settle for bed. So I think I'm satisfied to say we tried it, 2 different brands and might try soy or rice formula now...

Oh and my reason for trying the formula is because I have a wedding this weekend and it would be such a relief if I could relax knowing I don't have to have feed breaks every few hours while trying to do bridesmaid duties. But will just do what I have to I guess! Hard to expredd in advance when I feel like my supply is low!

smile
Sign in to follow this topic