Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. What foods do you avoid while breastfeeding?

What foods do you avoid while breastfeeding? Lock Rss

When ds2 was a newborn I couldn't eat onion,garlic or anything spicy/curry but he fine with whatever I eat now.
Hope everything is going well!

things i have heard of are
cabbage
onion
peas
brocoli
garlic
chocolate
spicy food

i cant thinbk of anything else but the only thing that afected my DS was chocolate for the first couple of months then it was ok
but i didn't the other things anyway
For me the only thing that upset DD was dairy - such a nuisince as it is in loads of things, she was really spilly and a screamer when she was little, so much that the midwife said she had reflux but as soon as I went off dairy it stopped, unfortunately I still can't have any.... and probably won't until she finishes breastfeeding.
This baby i had to watch how hot curries i eat and hubby normally makes it very mild. I just cut down on other things that i know may set him off. Like cucumber and tomatos.

With my first it was anything spicy, i could eat curries but not tacos.

This baby i had to watch how hot curries i eat and hubby normally makes it very mild. I just cut down on other things that i know may set him off. Like cucumber and tomatos.

With my first it was anything spicy, i could eat curries but not tacos.

I just maded alist everyday and would not eat one of things on that list. I soon work out what food upset their stomachs.

things i have heard of are
cabbage
onion
peas
brocoli
garlic
chocolate
spicy food

i cant thinbk of anything else but the only thing that afected my DS was chocolate for the first couple of months then it was ok
but i didn't the other things anyway

All the above and always remember caffeine is no good too.

All the above and always remember caffeine is no good too.

i thought i said that in my list lol
I only avoid alcohol. I eat everything, a lot of babies aren't bothered by anything so I figure there is no point avoiding a whole heap of foods just in case they are affected by it! My midwife said that if you ate it during pregnancy then you'd be fine to eat it while breastfeeding. Also, I don't know if it is relevant, but when DD#1 started solids she liked her food spicy! Maybe it was because I used to eat A LOT of curry! I eat heaps of broccoli, garlic etc. I was a bit wary of coleslaw (due to the cabbage being raw) but tried it and it had no repercussions whatsoever! I wouldn't cut out foods that you really like and want to eat unless you've tried them and have found them to bother your baby.
Hi ladies, I had heard that what you eat during your pregnancy you will be fine to eat while breast feeding, for me this has proven to be very false. Foods that are classed as wind causing foods seem to affect my baby girl although it has no affect on me they definately upset her little tummy. It has taken me quite a while to figure out what I can and cant eat, some things I just have very minimal amounts. So far my list consists of the following:
Brussel sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower (all my favourite veges of course haha) caffeine - cola drinks and coke in particular, chocolate I can only have very small amounts sad anything spicy including perinaise. Think with everything its just trial and error! grin
I haven't avoided anything while breastfeeding my bub, I figured if something upset her and I could trace it back to something I ate, then I'd deal with it then. She was/is a fairly normal baby (I think, lol) and had her moments of extreme wind and fussiness. She was a bit spilly, too, but I think that's normal for most new babies, isn't it? unsure

The thing with cutting random foods from your diet because they *might* affect some babies can end up with you on an unnecessarily restricted diet for no real reason, and while you're breastfeeding you need all the nutrition you can get.

Here's a great link from kellymom about diet and foods to avoid during breastfeeding. This site is a great resource for breastfeeding mums as the info is well researched and up to date. The Australian Breastfeeding Association have some good info, too. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-foods.html

My little girl is nearly 11 months and I've not restricted any food, I've eaten plenty of chilli, garlic, cabbage, dairy, chocolate.... The only things I avoid are caffeine (keeps me awake) and alcohol. She started solids at 6 months and loves spicy food and garlic.

The only time I thought about restricting food was when she had blood in her poo- this can be a sign of a dairy intolerance, but she'd had her rotarvirus vaccine at the time and I thought it might be that, sure enough, it cleared up in a week or so. (I had obviously taken her to hospitals and drs and so on). Then we moved O/S, so she didn't have that vaccine again and hasn't had any problems since.

Good luck with it all smile

It may pay to keep a food and baby fussiness diary for a few weeks to see if something pops out at you if you think bub may be reacting to something you're eating.

Aw poor thing. Yeah my MIL suggested it might be dairy too..Cheese seems to be fine but this morning I had a bowl of cereal with some milk and a couple of hours later when I was feeding DS he just kept spilling it all back up. Aren't you supposed to eat dairy though when breastfeeding??

I just take a calcium supplement to make up for not having dairy, I have dreams about dairy though, it used to be all my favourite things to eat so now I have dreams about McDonalds caramel Sundaes and reduced cream dip and camembert cheese and caramel latte's nomnomnommm laugh
Hi,

You don't need to be on a restricted diet when you are breastfeeding. You can eat everything you normally do. There are a huge number of myths around what you can eat when you are breastfeeding.
Most babies chuck - their tummies are just small and the little valve that keeps the contents in is weak. However these babies grow and thrive just fine.
If your baby is severely irritable you may want to look at a family history of allergies. You will know this is the case if anyone in either side of your family - you or your baby's dad- has eczema, asthma or other allergies and intolerances. You may want to delve and find out what triggers their flair ups. Dairy is one of the common allergens. The proteins from cow milk go through into the mothers milk, and in some babies cause irritation. In these cases, the mother may find that it helps to remove cows milk from her diet. and, no you don't need to eat dairy when you are breastfeeding.
Sign in to follow this topic