Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Breast is ideal but not always best

Breast is ideal but not always best Rss

Breast milk is better for babies but I found over the last couple of days that it is not best for my new little Princess.
Anastasia was latching on really well before my milk came through and then would not latch when it did. I had a full night of a screaming baby who was very very hungry. After hours of expressing and then trying to feed again I got my Husband to go and buy formula this morning and she loved the bottle instantly. I cried a bit coz I felt like a failure but I have a very supportive Husband who said it is what is best for our baby that matters.

I just want to encourage anyone else who finds it too hard to breast feed to not be hard on yourself, your baby knows what it wants, listen to bub and listen to your body. I am so at peace now that Anastasia is getting fed that it does not bother me that it is through formula smile
She might have been finding the let-down a bit strong? She's very new, still time to keep trying smile

i totally agree. there is so much pressure out there to breastfeed and so much judgement from other mothers if you decide to give up that's why so many women feel like failures.

good on you for realising what is best for your baby and for being confident in your decision.

The day i broke up with normal was the first day of my magical life...

She might have been finding the let-down a bit strong? She's very new, still time to keep trying smile

here we go...

she said she was happy with her decision to go with formula, geez roll eyes

The day i broke up with normal was the first day of my magical life...

Breast milk is better for babies but I found over the last couple of days that it is not best for my new little Princess.
Anastasia was latching on really well before my milk came through and then would not latch when it did. I had a full night of a screaming baby who was very very hungry. After hours of expressing and then trying to feed again I got my Husband to go and buy formula this morning and she loved the bottle instantly. I cried a bit coz I felt like a failure but I have a very supportive Husband who said it is what is best for our baby that matters.

I just want to encourage anyone else who finds it too hard to breast feed to not be hard on yourself, your baby knows what it wants, listen to bub and listen to your body. I am so at peace now that Anastasia is getting fed that it does not bother me that it is through formula smile

Good for you smile Glad bubs is happy now
Good on you! The pressure placed on new mums to BF is awful! I said to my DH from day one, if BF didn't work for us i would have no issue in FF.

I persisted with BF for 3 weeks, and DD began to lose weight, she was NEVER satisfied and i became anxious everytime i fed her, as it would sometimes take 2-3 hours!!

After a night of feeding her for 3 hours and her still screaming, i gave her a bottle and she slept for 9 hours. Ive never looked back, even when i was told i was poisoning my baby, and making her susceptible to illness. I just kept telling myself, happy baby happy mummy! Mind you, DD is now 2.5 and has been to the doctors once in her life for a chest infection - she is a smart, loving, happy girl!

I get sick and tired of these breast feeding martyrs who try and make us feel bad if we can't or choose not to breast feed. Mind your business!
Hi dont feel bad if breastfeeding doesn't work out, i formula fed 2 babies so know I how it feels.

However if you still want to breastfeed, your baby is still super young. Your milk would have only just come in. In those first few days the breasts engorge and can make it difficult for bubs to get their mouth around it. This happened to me with my third baby. I bought nipple sheilds and used them for 2 days until my boobs settled down. My baby is now 3.5 months old and feeding perfectly. Attatchment is an issue that can be fixed, so if you want to breastfeed try to persist.

There are so many lovely helpful women on here, they have helped me a lot smile

Good luck either way and congratulations smile
Have to agree with Anirtak. Your babe is only 4 days old, so really early days to decide that breastfeeding isn't working. My baby is 3 weeks old and she is my 4th child, her and I are only just getting the hang of it now and we still have trouble attaching correctly every time. Despite it being a "natural" thing, it still takes time for you and your baby to learn how to breastfeed successfully. Contact the hospital and ask about seeing a lactation nurse, most will still see you free of charge for several weeks after the birth. Don't give up so early on, best of luck smile
i agree, there is lots of pressure to breastfeed, but i wanted to breastfeed and was pressured not to.
i think the nurses, midwifes and doctors need to realise what the parents want and help them in the decision the parents make not want the docs etc want.

i was so annoyed when my plunket nurse told me i shouldnt be breastfeeding!

in the end we all do what works best for us. i do have to say that i have found alot of people giving up the breast too easily when they actually want to breastfeed but cant really be bothered working it out.

each to our own though, and im glad you're happy with your decision and have found what fits in best with YOUR family!
Have to agree with Ruby gloom's great advice. BF is hard and takes a good month or two to get the hang of it for both mum and bub. Even those of us who have bf more than 1 bub have found that it's hard with each bub no matter how long you have bf other babies for. Your bub is still really little so before you completely give up maybe go get some advice from a lactation consultant before you make any decisions you may come to regret in time. Even those of us who have bf for a while have found it hard often having mastitis several times and had lots of struggles with it which is worse as you are so tired at the start. The key to it really is perseverance.
Oh and please dont think that those of us who have made some suggestions to help you continue bf are being negative - we are just trying to offer you some support and advice that we all go through challenges bf too and it doesn't make you a bad mum asking for some help to bf smile At least really give it a good try before deciding to stop completely.
I completely agree! While I was in hospital with DD I was very pressured into BF, DD would not latch I saw lactation consultants and countless nurses, doctors, everything none could get her on. Because they spent so much time trying to jam her on my breast she ended up screaming anytime she came near probably cuz she was hungry and we'd have to go through an ordeal of trying to breastfeed before I could just give her expressed stuff. Everytime she was due to wake up I was terrified because I knew she'd be exactly the same I started getting anxious about feeding her and I know it would have rubbed off on her but how could I not? I ended up feeling like she hated me.
As soon as I got out of hospital and had no more pressure from nurses I felt okay with giving her formula and it all stopped, and she started to be okay when I held her.

I still felt guilty bottlefeeding within my coffee group full of mothers that were successful breastfeeders and fumed at any suggestions that I gave up too easily. The week in hospital trying to BF her was the worst week of my motherhood to my first child.
Sign in to follow this topic