Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Breast is ideal but not always best

Breast is ideal but not always best Lock Rss

breast is best - just not easiest tongue
My bub was about 7-8 weeks old before he started BF. We went through latching problems, breast refusal, oversupply, cracked nipples, nipple thrush, mastitis, and nipple vasospasm. At times I was in so much pain I didn't know how I was going to feed my son. No one pressured me into BF - in fact a number of times I felt like the midwives and LC were encouraging me to give my DS formula. It was my decision to persist with BF, and I'm glad I did. We made it to 8 months before he weaned himself off.

was she a crap plunket nurse? that seems strange for them to not promote BF.

she was the sleep consultant, i've only met her 3 times and i dont like her at all. she knew i wanted to bf but insisted i was doing the wrong thing. she should not be a plunket nurse. she kept telling me formula wasn't poison, and that i need to do whats best for my son which was formula.
he was happy and healthy and an average weight and height.

i ended up breastfeeding until her self-weaned at 11.5months. im so proud i didnt listen to that silly nurse!

Breast milk is better for babies but I found over the last couple of days that it is not best for my new little Princess.
Anastasia was latching on really well before my milk came through and then would not latch when it did. I had a full night of a screaming baby who was very very hungry. After hours of expressing and then trying to feed again I got my Husband to go and buy formula this morning and she loved the bottle instantly. I cried a bit coz I felt like a failure but I have a very supportive Husband who said it is what is best for our baby that matters.

I just want to encourage anyone else who finds it too hard to breast feed to not be hard on yourself, your baby knows what it wants, listen to bub and listen to your body. I am so at peace now that Anastasia is getting fed that it does not bother me that it is through formula smile

I see that your baby is only 4 days old, your milk problaby has just come in and new born in the first week feed feed feed and do this for the first 6 weeks, combine this with tiredness from the birth and hormones and still learning about breast feeding can be overwhelming.

I totally hear you about the crying and the constant feeding. with my last he is 15 months now i really wanted to breast feed and on day four i was so totally over it and just wanted to shove a bottle in him to get a break and have some sleep as i had a c section, and wanted to do the same thing but because he was my third i knew this was quite normal.

even if you want to give up i do suggest you try and make it through the first few weeks even if its just to boost his immunity, you may want to express or just breast feed ...No one tells you about how babies scream and want feed 24/7 that came as a surprise to me, but this is all about boosting your supply, at 1 day old the wee tummy is the size of a marble, day three golf ball, etc, so for boobs that have been out of action for a while it takes some work to get them going.

I am a pro breast feeder but have had one of my babies on hospital formula for a medical condition from 4 months . anyway, my suggestions are just suggestions, as when babies are little they are demanding little so and so's and they are hard work and didn't read the eat play sleep plan.

good luck
Subzero, I think you've misunderstood - she isnt saying her bub is feeding constantly, she's saying her bub wont latch on, ie. wont feed at all.

To the OP, I have had one bub I bottle fed (firstly expressed milk, then changed to formula at 3 months) as she couldn't breastfeed, and one that i breastfed til 12 months. You go with whatever works best for YOU and YOUR BUB. Sometimes it's not worth the stress of trying to persevere with breasfeeding if bub is fighting it, and there is nothing wrong with changing to formula. However, as others have said, if you want to continue/restart breastfeeding it's not too late to try some other strategies. But its all up to you!!

Best of luck with whatever you go with.
DD1 was formula fed from a few days old - I was dissapointed with the support we were given - she was born at 35.6 weeks and was in the NICU but was a very healthy bub at 7lbs and no health issues. Staff told us to feed her formula without discussion, even though she was suckling well in Birthing unit. They did little to support BF and gave us formula after every feed to fill her, then told us we couldnt leave until she was BF properly.....Grrrr.....We ended up switching completely to formula.

DD2 it just wouldnt come together for us. She was a shocking feeder and sleeper and it honestly came down to sleep and sanity in the end. BF took forever, and she screamed for up to 3 hrs between night feeds so there was enough stress. I expressed whenever I had time until my milk supply dwindled at about 5 weeks - I figured at least we could get some into her.

DS was a great feeder, despite a moderate tongue tie for the first 3 weeks, until my supply settled. After this, he couldnt suck efficiently enough to feed. He went from 15min feeds and settled to 45min feeds and still screaming. We couldnt get an appointment to see DR or clinic nurse for at least a week. Eventually out of desperation I gave him formula AFTER a 45minute BF, you could hear the milk hitting the bottom of his stomach - the poor little guy was still empty. I expressed as often as possible for 3 mths until my supply dwindled again. I was sooo disappointed that we got so far only to falter again. But seeing my little man happy and settled again, made it worth while.

If you are happy to persue formula only feeding, dont feel pressured to BF or feel guilty about your decision.

If you do choose to persue BF/expressing, good luck! Its not easy but if you can find good support it will help.

Maybe consider expressing by hand or pump for a while if you can. It allows bub to still get some of the goodness and by slowly stopping the feeding, you wont have to deal with the sore, swollen, over-producing boobs

Good luck with your new bub x
To anyone feeling like giving up all I can say is seek out the support you need. I have had issues BFing (and still am) and I have seen three lactation consultants and I am still working closely with one, if someone wont or can't help you, try someone else. They all have such different approaches to solving problems its worth getting a second opinion. Without this I would have switched to FF for sure I think.

OP you know what is best for you and your baby. I think that the mother/child relationship is very complex and if you are approaching feeding time with fear or frustration then baby picks up on this and it could effect your bonding and attachment. If anything though I would maybe try expressing and bottle feeding for a week or so until your supply calms down then giving it another crack smile then at least looking back you'll know in yourself you explored all avenues.
Hi
I am expecting number 3.
My 2 older ones were born in the UK, and both ended up being formula fed. They are both very healthy and are now 8 and 11. They have good immune systems and at 11 my son is the same height as me and wears bigger shoes...so no growth issues.
My point is that having a young baby can be a difficult time. You are given lots and lots of conflicting advice, that even from the professionals changes over time.
The most important piece of advice that I was given was when I stopped breastfeeding my son, and it was from the community midwife...she turned around and told me not to beat myself up about it. Yes it was the ideal but in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter if it was ending up distressing both of us.
She said happy mum = happy baby, unhappy mum = unhappy baby.
And so for us the decision was a good one. This carries over to many other issues, so just remember that if it's making you unhappy that this will pass onto baby.
Not many mums have a 4 day old baby who is breastfeeding easily. Even though it is the natural way, it takes alot of hard work, pain and persistance. Those first 4 weeks or so, I used to dread when I knew feeding time was drawing nearer. After a while, you learn to eat lunch, read to an older child... all while feeding.

If you choose not to bf, obviously, that is your perogitive....BUT, if you are thinking breastfeeding is not for you, for the reason that at 4 days old there are attachment issues, well a high percentage of mums with 4 days old, would have been having exactly the same issues. Most bubs do lose weight in those early days, so that is not a reason to think your baby is not thriving either. At 4 days old, I was still in hospital, so had support when the milk came in (I think everyone should stay about 6 days, so support from nurses can be attained... in hospital, they would have suggested a breast pump, so some of the milk could be removed first, to make your boobs less hard, hence easier attachment, OR even a nipple shield helps in this situation also). There are options out there to assist the early days of breastfeeding.

I'm not saying formula is bad, but just letting you know, that your breast feeding issues are completely normal, and unfortunately is what we all go through for successful breast fed babies.

Eve75

I think it is important to remember that BF does not always come naturally to baby or mums, BF is a choice that every mother has the right to make.

There is always alot of pressure surrounding BF and i think it is important to do what feels right for you and is in the best interest of you child. grin

Breast milk is better for babies but I found over the last couple of days that it is not best for my new little Princess.
Anastasia was latching on really well before my milk came through and then would not latch when it did. I had a full night of a screaming baby who was very very hungry. After hours of expressing and then trying to feed again I got my Husband to go and buy formula this morning and she loved the bottle instantly. I cried a bit coz I felt like a failure but I have a very supportive Husband who said it is what is best for our baby that matters.

I just want to encourage anyone else who finds it too hard to breast feed to not be hard on yourself, your baby knows what it wants, listen to bub and listen to your body. I am so at peace now that Anastasia is getting fed that it does not bother me that it is through formula smile

I think you have made the best choice for you and bub = )

Dont listen to people that will give you a hard time and ignore the dirty looks you will get when you go out and it will happen so be prepared. I breast fed till about 4ish months then swapped to formula and was the best choice ive made. A lot of people will tell you you gave up to easy you should of done this and you should of done that but only you know what was best = )

here we go...

she said she was happy with her decision to go with formula, geez roll eyes

What do you mean 'here we go'?! She said she had made her decision but she had been crying and feeling like a failure. That doesn't sound happy to me. I'd like to know of anyone who DIDN'T have BF issues on Day 4?! I was just saying that the baby is so new there is still plenty of time to get back into it. My midwife said it takes 6 weeks to get BF established so yes we persisted through the cracked and bleeding nipples, the crying baby, the wind, spilling etc and still going 16 months later. You can't just give up after one night if you really want to BF, I think perhaps she had already made her decision to FF and there is nothing wrong with that at all smile

What do you mean 'here we go'?! She said she had made her decision but she had been crying and feeling like a failure. That doesn't sound happy to me. I'd like to know of anyone who DIDN'T have BF issues on Day 4?! I was just saying that the baby is so new there is still plenty of time to get back into it. My midwife said it takes 6 weeks to get BF established so yes we persisted through the cracked and bleeding nipples, the crying baby, the wind, spilling etc and still going 16 months later. You can't just give up after one night if you really want to BF, I think perhaps she had already made her decision to FF and there is nothing wrong with that at all smile

I totally agree with you , breast feeding can't be established in 4 days, also to the op how are things going today, have your boobs calmed down have you tried feeding again??
Sign in to follow this topic