Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Breast is ideal but not always best

Breast is ideal but not always best Lock Rss

I think the difference is, you made an informed decision. You obviously believed in the pluses of bm which is why you found other ways to give it to them. You had also bf for 3 months which is great and an achievement in itself. I think when you have come to the conclusion that you need to give your kid formula because it actually is the best thing to do in whatever your circumstance, then there shouldn't be any guilt because you know its what you need to do. I think perhaps the guilt comes from jumping on the bandwagon and not necessarily having their own reason for stopping......no idea if that makes sense. I see it with the vaccinating issue. People not vaccinating - not because they have researched it and decided thats what is best for their own kid, but not doing it because others around them don't - but they don't really understand why. They just quote the same reasons.
Thats why I think you really can only be happy with your choice, if you understand it. You can't feel guilty if you understand why you are ff or why bf didn't work for you.

i agree with that.

I haven't read all the replies but im jacked off!!!!

Here is a woman who has made a choice that wil not harm her baby, that she is happy with and is wanting to show support for others in her position. Yet some of you still had to put the boot in!

Just because you say 'oh if thats your decision thats fine' doesn't stop your comments about her not having tried hard enough being hurtful! Why lecture someone on how they shouldn't give up and how bf is so wonderful then tell them you support them? That is not support!

~NoDdY~, I think you're a very wise woman and I enjoy reading your posts.
But let’s not pretend this topic is about something it's not. This isn't about someone with BF issues. The OP gave up BF because of perfectly normal newborn behaviour.
I don’t blame her. She obviously wasn't given enough information, education and support by her midwives - and may not have been aware that there are plenty of support services (ABA, BF units, LCs, CYH) for mums struggling with BF. Having said that, I realise that BF doesn't work for everyone.
If someone chooses to FF it's their prerogative. They don't have to justify their actions to a bunch of strangers. But saying that "breast is ideal but not always best" is not constructive for mothers who actually want to BF and are struggling.

~NoDdY~, I think you're a very wise woman and I enjoy reading your posts.
But let’s not pretend this topic is about something it's not. This isn't about someone with BF issues. The OP gave up BF because of perfectly normal newborn behaviour.
I don’t blame her. She obviously wasn't given enough information, education and support by her midwives - and may not have been aware that there are plenty of support services (ABA, BF units, LCs, CYH) for mums struggling with BF. Having said that, I realise that BF doesn't work for everyone.
If someone chooses to FF it's their prerogative. They don't have to justify their actions to a bunch of strangers. But saying that "breast is ideal but not always best" is not constructive for mothers who actually want to BF and are struggling.

I appreciate the compliment and I have to say the warm fuzzies are mutual. smile

I agree with what your saying. My original comment was snappedout and fully based on emotion due to my own experiences as you can see in my reply to oc1246. I've had a bit going on personally lately, I think this is a reminder for me to stop and think before ranting. grin

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I can't find the right word sound effect to match the "yeouch" expression on my face. You poor thing...sad
Unfortunately though, its not fair to ask people to not support/advocate or talk about bf issues because you had a bad experience. sad (we need a hug icon.....)

Thank you. This is actually the first time I've mentioned it too anyone outside my dh or doctor. Like I said to cruxy I've been through a bit personally lately. I think its just catching up to me.
I agree I was wrong. Sorry.
X

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Thank you. This is actually the first time I've mentioned it too anyone outside my dh or doctor. Like I said to cruxy I've been through a bit personally lately. I think its just catching up to me.
I agree I was wrong. Sorry.
X

Hope you are ok NoDdy.....look after yourself.
xxx

I appreciate the compliment and I have to say the warm fuzzies are mutual. smile

I agree with what your saying. My original comment was snappedout and fully based on emotion due to my own experiences as you can see in my reply to oc1246. I've had a bit going on personally lately, I think this is a reminder for me to stop and think before ranting. grin

It's an emotional topic - new mums always feel like failures no matter how well they're looking after their kids and always feel like they have to justify their actions to other people. I still remember the disapproving look on my LC's face when I got my bub weighed in the BF unit, when he was about 2 weeks old, and he'd only put on 50g. I felt like the worst mother in the world.
Hope you're ok ~NoDdY~ GBH
My experience was not that great either.

After being home from hospital with baby number 2 my husband, toddler myself and my newborn all got gastro! we ended up in the childrens ward for four days while my little girl was having tests and on IV fluids as she wasnt breast feeding. I was still very ill and my milk supply was very low so we formula feed also. I expressed and even went on medication then drank herbel teas to increase my milk supply. It didnt seem to work as when I breast feed her she was still starving so I had to top her up with formula anyway.

I was mix feeding for a few weeks and at the 6 week check up with peditrician he told me that there is nothing wrong with giving your child formula and not to worry about the media hype and what ther people say. I felt terrible before my visit with him but he made me feel at ease about formula feeding.

What ive learnt is that your baby just wants to be feed and whatever you decide to do you need to "Own It"

Glad Im not the only one who had trouble smile
Sign in to follow this topic