Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Breastfeeding - one side or both?

Breastfeeding - one side or both? Lock Rss

Hi there,

I have a 1 month old baby, and my midwife told me I only need to breastfeed on one side at a time so he gets the full feed with hind milk etc. The problem is he never seems satisfied after just one side and cries when I take him off. If I let him do the other side too he really goes for gold, and seems satisfied, but then seems to spend the next couple of hours uncomfortable and spilling up lots... what do I do...?

Hope someone has some insight smile
I was given this advice with DS too. I found that he was much happier if he fed from both. I also found that the other side got far to full and sore if I only fed from one.

DD is now 7mths and will often only feed from one side and be content, so all babies are different.

Do what you feel is right for your bubs. I have read that Breastfed babies can't be overfed as they will naturally stop feeding when they are full (unlike formula fed babies that apparently lose the ability to do this) so don't worry about that.

Hope this helps smile
Thanks Laura - that does help. I guess it makes me realise there is so much conflicting advice out there you really just have to do what feels right! Hard though with it being my first.

Thanks heaps smile

I was given this advice with DS too. I found that he was much happier if he fed from both. I also found that the other side got far to full and sore if I only fed from one.

DD is now 7mths and will often only feed from one side and be content, so all babies are different.

Do what you feel is right for your bubs. I have read that Breastfed babies can't be overfed as they will naturally stop feeding when they are full (unlike formula fed babies that apparently lose the ability to do this) so don't worry about that.

Hope this helps smile
Thanks heaps I appreciate your response! Sometimes I wonder if my little boy does know when to stop though... but interesting to hear that they do!! wink

I always fed from one side until empty then burp, change nappy and offer the other side. If bubs is hungry he will take the other side and let them stay on for as long as they want.

My bubs is 12weeks and will sometimes have both sides and sometimes only one. They know when to stop. smile

They only really need one side when first born but as they get bigger and go through growth spurts they will obviously want more so always best to offer.
good advise above ^ smile

my 3rd bub is also about 1 month old, he feeds off one side in the mornings as i seem to have more milk and hes happy, then towards the arvo and in the evenings he has both sides and i have to give him a 'top up' before he'll settle at about 9.30. my milk has always had this pattern with all 3 kids..lots in the mornings and less at night.

i always feed him the first side and burp about halfway thru then pop him back on the same side. when hes done i change him and burp again and i always offer #2 but hell only take it if hes hungry.

as for puking heaps, well sometimes bub will latch on and drink a bit but then puke it all up anyways..guess he wasnt as hungry as he thought lol. dont worry too much about the pukes smile just a bit of overflow. as long as you do empty at least one side every feed and alternate so both get emptied then your fine i wouldnt limit it just because your nurse told you too, the best way to tell if bub is definately getting that hind milk is to look at their poo..it should be yellow/orange, if its a greeny colour then theyre missing the hind milk wink (i was told this at a feeding clinic i went to with #2 who had some issues with sleep)
Hiya, that's such a good help, thanks heaps!! No green poos here so seems like he should be right smile Thanks!!

good advise above ^ smile

my 3rd bub is also about 1 month old, he feeds off one side in the mornings as i seem to have more milk and hes happy, then towards the arvo and in the evenings he has both sides and i have to give him a 'top up' before he'll settle at about 9.30. my milk has always had this pattern with all 3 kids..lots in the mornings and less at night.

i always feed him the first side and burp about halfway thru then pop him back on the same side. when hes done i change him and burp again and i always offer #2 but hell only take it if hes hungry.

as for puking heaps, well sometimes bub will latch on and drink a bit but then puke it all up anyways..guess he wasnt as hungry as he thought lol. dont worry too much about the pukes smile just a bit of overflow. as long as you do empty at least one side every feed and alternate so both get emptied then your fine i wouldnt limit it just because your nurse told you too, the best way to tell if bub is definately getting that hind milk is to look at their poo..it should be yellow/orange, if its a greeny colour then theyre missing the hind milk wink (i was told this at a feeding clinic i went to with #2 who had some issues with sleep)
If he's unsettled I'd definitely give him both sides - go with your gut! My LC always told me to give both sides at every feed - the advice to block feed with one side is aimed at treating oversupply, when the babies get too much foremilk and have explosive green frothy poos a dozen times a day. She also said that even babies who as newborns were happy with one side often started wanting the other side as their tummies grow bigger - and that can mean longer between feeds and hopefully more sleep for mummy!

Congrats on you new bub smile
It depends on the situation. If you feel that your child is happy and more satisfied to both of your breast, then check if both are producing enough milk. If yes, then you can do what makes your child happy. But if not, do your best to have your baby talk in only on one side with enough milk.
Sign in to follow this topic