Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Only 15% breastfeed until 6 months

Only 15% breastfeed until 6 months Rss

I was watching one of the morning news shows this morning and there was a woman on their advocating breastfeeding. Did anyone else watch? What were your thoughts?

For those that didnt she said that although 90-something% of women start off breastfeeding only 15% continue until the minimum recommendation of 6 months. I was shocked at the statistics but not surprised. In my circle of friends, I was the only one of about 12 of us that have babies or children that bf to and past 6 months. So in my experience it rings true.

She also made a remark that formula feeding in addition to breast milk before 6 months CAUSES ear infections. Not the fact that bm builds up the immune system in a way that formula can't but that formula itself was the culprit. Is this true?

She was very anti formula and said that breastfeeding is 'easy' and that both mother and baby should be able to do it with little to no help. Perhaps this perception by supposed experts is why only 15% go on to bf exclusively until 6 months!? I am in that 15% and it was by no means easy!!! Not one little bit! I had lots of help and support from numerous midwives! I persisted but I doubt I would have had the knowledge to do it all on my own.

Just thought I would share what I saw and see what others think?
I saw it too. I had alot of trouble in the first few days but then went on to 'easily' breastfeed DS for 13mths and DD for 8mths and counting. If I hadn't been in hosp for 5 nights with DS and had a wonderful midwife who spent ages helping me I can't say that I wouldn't have switched to formula.

I personally think that there needs to be alot more help and support for new mums to establish BF. So many of my friends were sent home before their milk had come in and came to the conclusion that they 'couldn't' BF and switched to formula.

With DD the MACH nurse was genuinely surprised that I was still BF when she came to do the home visit a week after I came home from hospital. I was shocked that I was the exception rather than the norm.

IMO breastmilk is so much better for babies, but there needs to be more support for new mummies so they don't feel like formula is the better way to go. I hadn't heard the thing about ear infections before, but on a whole my 2 kids have been very healthy on their BF diets smile
I FF my DD from one week of age...i struggled so much with breast feeding and didn't have a good amount of suppport...mix that with new mummy nerves and baby blues = formula being a god send!! but I don't think DD ever had an ear infection.

With this new bub due in the next few weeks....I am HOPING like crazy i take to breast feeding better!! i really want to be successful and try hard. i won't have the new mummy nerves and my midwife will be doing daily visits with me...just the baby blues to battle through smile

I FF my DD from one week of age...i struggled so much with breast feeding and didn't have a good amount of suppport...mix that with new mummy nerves and baby blues = formula being a god send!! but I don't think DD ever had an ear infection.

With this new bub due in the next few weeks....I am HOPING like crazy i take to breast feeding better!! i really want to be successful and try hard. i won't have the new mummy nerves and my midwife will be doing daily visits with me...just the baby blues to battle through smile

See this is what I'm talking about with the support part! It is soo hard and although such a great and natural thing we do need help! I was shocked at how the woman was dismissing how hard it is!

Those baby blues sad Mine hit just as I got my milk coming in fever. I was messy lol
completely agree with everything said... its about support from not only midwives and other hosp professionals but partners/husbands and family. And its about preparation... learning everything you can before the fact.

I can't stand it when I see people insisting that bf'ing is easy, and that it should be something we as women can just 'do'. I'm sure that some find it easier than many but the majority of stories I have heard have been about damaged nipples, mastitis, difficulty latching etc and perseverance through these things.

I'm wondering if in Aus the 'system' is different than in NZ... our midwives visit us at home for the first 6 weeks of babies life. We can see lactation consultants and go to sleep centres for free - do you get that too? because without these services I don't think I would have managed bf'ing. Baby blues combined with a bit of a difficult start combined with lack of sleep and the pain of bf'ing, that formula tin looked pretty appealing. Lucky for me I was still in hospital when my milk came in and I had an AMAZING L.C looking after me.
Once I had overcome the first hurdles it was just stubbornness that kept me at it! Although I was still struggling I figured I've been through so much, I would be letting myself down. So as well as all that support we also need to be bloody minded!
It makes me so mad when people try to make mums feel guilty for feeding their babies formula. I had a lot of trouble in the beginning and had to top up with formula. I'm still BF now at 6 months but also giving formula. The pediatrician said it is fine. She has never gotten any kind of infection. I do think there needs to be more support for new mums.
in my plunket group the majority are BF their babies. theres only 3 out of about 12 ladies who bottle feed. all our babies are under 5months but i think everything is go well for the ladies who are BF.

i read a article in a scientific journal a wee while ago which i cant find now but babies actually dont get much protection from breast milk other than from bugs that are caught orally. as the antibodies are too big to pass through the stomach lining into the blood stream. they get the majority of their immunity to things like measles from the placenta thats why the measles and some other immunisations are not given until they are 15months.
thats when the immunity starts to wane.
but it makes sense cause when they start putting all sorts of things in their mouths they are protected from tummy bugs n stuff.

i fully support breast feeding and believe it is best for babies but it is quite interesting
I think the problem is, is that women assume as it's the natural way to feed, it's easy, so if after trying for a week or so, and each feed is taking over an hour, your sore and your bub isn't gaining much if any weight, you assume it's not working, so turn to formula. The truth is, it's bloody hard work, excruciatingly painful (more so than labour ever was), and it seems like you're feeding 24 hours a day. I think this story needs to be broadcast, and with the right info from nurses and lactation consultants, I'm postive these low rates would rise.

I understand that not everyone can bf, but 85% not doing it at 6 months, is not the the correct number to account for these women.

If you need help, it is out there. I had great help from lactation consultants, who advised nipples shields and electric pumps, and with this help, I was able to bf for 24 months in total for my 2 little ones.

It was definitely not easy for me, and I could have given up so many times in those first few weeks, but am pretty proud of myself I didn't. It really annoys me when people say, 'Oh, you are so lucky breastfeeding came so easy for you'. Luck has nothing to do with it. It was hard, painful work, and many tears. This is what should be told in those pregnancy classes, so mothers know they are not alone.

Eve75

Sounds like a rambler to me. roll eyes BF was not 'easy' for me. That's a slap in the face for so many mums who have difficulty with BF and really tried, good on those women who have a kid that's sucking from the get go, whoopee for you, but easy? no frickin way. It's no wonder women give up trying.

Also to add my DD has been FF since she was 2 weeks old and has never had an ear infection. I don't feel guilty for formula feeding, but I do feel extremely pissed of when people try to make out it's some kind of devil potion. I saw lactation consultants, nurses, midwives, doctors, none managed to get my DD to latch, so yepp help is out there but sometimes it's still nothing, and I'd rather be a happy mum feeding my baby formula than how I felt trying to BF.
Agreed I have a 3 week old and breast feeding is definately not easier. Has got easier than the first week that is for sure.

As for what happens in Australia I was in the MGP - Meant that I had a midwife allocated for my pregnancy who did most visits at home includes 6 weeks of after birth visits which is great. To get into the MGP (Midwifery group practice) had to put name down on first hospital visit. You have to live within a certain distance of hospital I had some stuff they needed to do extra scans for so they say that they take normal and some high risk cases too.

I think why people don't breastfeed past 6 months could also be related to going back to work. Easier to mix up some formula for day care. Rather than expressing 5 million bottles maybe? I still don't know what I am going to do when I go back to work. I would love to be able to express enough bottles. Anyone done this?
Sign in to follow this topic