Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

weaning to formula Lock Rss

I would like to stop breastfeeding at switch to formula, what is the best way to do this ie I don;t want to end up with mastitis?
thanks
to be honest....I've had enough and I'd like to stop before I end up hating it (so I will hopefully have another great experience in the future, DD is almost 8 months).
You just replace one BF a day with formula, at a time. So for example, if your baby currently has five BFs a day, change this to four BFs and a formula feed. Then a few days later you can change this to three BFs and two formula feeds.

Once your baby is 8 months, he/she probably isn't taking that much milk at each feed anyway, so if you're only dropping one feed per day, it really shouldn't make you uncomfortable and it's probably very unlikely that you'd get mastitis or anything.

You may find that once you switch to formula, the baby needs fewer feeds. Apparently it's thicker and more satisfying, and the baby will no longer want to feed just for comfort.

I started to wean my DD off BFing when she was 10 months, as I returned to work. She was having five BFs a day so I replaced the two daytime ones with formula, but still did morning, evening and night. I did 100ml at each feed. She wasn't too keen on it at first - which is to be expected! - but I wasn't too worried because she was still having the three BFs. If your baby doesn't like formula, make sure to increase the calcium and iron in their diets in other ways.

You just replace one BF a day with formula, at a time. So for example, if your baby currently has five BFs a day, change this to four BFs and a formula feed. Then a few days later you can change this to three BFs and two formula feeds.

Once your baby is 8 months, he/she probably isn't taking that much milk at each feed anyway, so if you're only dropping one feed per day, it really shouldn't make you uncomfortable and it's probably very unlikely that you'd get mastitis or anything.

You may find that once you switch to formula, the baby needs fewer feeds. Apparently it's thicker and more satisfying, and the baby will no longer want to feed just for comfort.

I started to wean my DD off BFing when she was 10 months, as I returned to work. She was having five BFs a day so I replaced the two daytime ones with formula, but still did morning, evening and night. I did 100ml at each feed. She wasn't too keen on it at first - which is to be expected! - but I wasn't too worried because she was still having the three BFs. If your baby doesn't like formula, make sure to increase the calcium and iron in their diets in other ways.

Thanks.....does it matter what formula you use, I got the follow on and have only just realised it says on the container to use the 1st stage for new borns or those switching from breastfeeding??
I tried for an hour yesterday and couldn't take the tears (hers and mine) so bf her.
have tried again today, currently sleeping, will have another go when awake, just wondering whether the formula could be too strong?
And, do I keep trying even though she's clearly not happy, and hope that she will take it when she's starving?
thanks
My DS started to bite me around 9 months and by 10 I decided that was enough because nothing I did would stop him doing it.

I was only breast feeding 3-4 times a day by that stage and I decided to start to wean off the afternoon feed. My son wasn't used to the bottle and only had maybe 50ml(or less) each bottle feed. Then one day he just got it and latched onto the bottle properly. Then I weaned the night time feed and about a week later I weaned the morning feed. I did this so that I wouldn't get mastitis.

I use Karicare formula, number 2. I was told by my health nurse that it is the best...babies get less wind etc with it. My friend used Karicare Gold and her little girl always had wind. She switched to normal Karicare and it settled down. I feed my son pear in the mornings with breakfast to keep him regular because I was scared that formula would make him constipated and so far so good!
[quote name='KW8' date='20 April 2012 - 07:35 PM' timestamp='1334910935' post='3173255'] My DS started to bite me around 9 months and by 10 I decided that was enough because nothing I did would stop him doing it. I was only breast feeding 3-4 times a day by that stage and I decided to start to wean off the afternoon feed. My son wasn't used to the bottle and only had maybe 50ml(or less) each bottle feed. Then one day he just got it and latched onto the bottle properly. Then I weaned the night time feed and about a week later I weaned the morning feed. I did this so that I wouldn't get mastitis. I use Karicare formula, number 2. I was told by my health nurse that it is the best...babies get less wind etc with it. My friend used Karicare Gold and her little girl always had wind. She switched to normal Karicare and it settled down. I feed my son pear in the mornings with breakfast to keep him regular because I was scared that formula would make him constipated and so far so good! [/quote ok,well that's the formula I got. I guess I'll keep persisting thanks. She's only ever had a handful of bottles, so that plus the different taste is going to take a bit.
my son is 5 months and ive been making the switch for the past 2 months, for the same reason.. hes my first and im just over it want to feel "normal"(have a drink lol) again

i started by swapping the before bed feed with 100ml

now he has 150ml at lunch (12-1pmish) and about 150-200ml before bed (6-7pmish)

also giving him 50ml at 11pmish when he stirs (evey other night)

bf all other times (hes quite a hungry boy)

start with the newborn formula but i dnt recomend the gold label at first(makes them a bit backed up)

Was just going to suggest have someone else try give her the bottle. she might be more likely to take it if she can't smell BM smile
you can also try with a different brand of bottle, tommee tippee closer to nature works for us

Agree! Forgot to mention, it's pretty unlikely that your baby is going to take a bottle from you, when you're sitting there with a perfectly good pair of boobs with which to feed them! That's the way that the baby will see it, anyway. Might be best to enlist the help of your partner, or Nana, or a friend and have them give the bottle, while you leave the room (and preferably even the house) for a while.

With regard to which formula, you should use the correct one for the age, but don't use a Gold one if your baby is still having some breastfeeds, as this will mean that they are taking in too much protein and it may make them sick. (Gold is absolutely fine if not breastfeeding as well.)

In general, I think you just need to persist with it. I know my DD wasn't too happy when I weaned her but if you need to do it, then you need to! Try playing around with the feeds to see if altering the times makes a difference, I think with us it took a few weeks of just offering it at different times to see when it got the best reception! Also, unless you've been expressing regularly you probably aren't aware of exactly how much he/she was having at each breastfeed anyway, so it might be that only a relatively small amount is wanted. I also recall that I eventually figured out that my DD preferred formula icy cold from the fridge! (even though this was the middle of winter).
Yes that's right...try having someone else feed her the bottle. And I originally used Avent bottles but I decided to try Tommee Tippee (because they are 'supposed' to be more like a nipple) and my DS took to the Tommee Tippee bottle better.

Also, my health nurse suggested to me to use the formula in the morning cereal so that he would get used to the taste. So I did, not sure if it helped though. I also didn't warm the water too much as it was summer when I was trying to wean him to the bottle and I figured adults don't usually drink hot drinks in summer so I thought I'd apply the same principal. But its not so hot now (well where I live) so not sure if having the milk a bit cooler will work for you.

However, I think persistence is they key.

Yes that's right...try having someone else feed her the bottle. And I originally used Avent bottles but I decided to try Tommee Tippee (because they are 'supposed' to be more like a nipple) and my DS took to the Tommee Tippee bottle better.

Also, my health nurse suggested to me to use the formula in the morning cereal so that he would get used to the taste. So I did, not sure if it helped though. I also didn't warm the water too much as it was summer when I was trying to wean him to the bottle and I figured adults don't usually drink hot drinks in summer so I thought I'd apply the same principal. But its not so hot now (well where I live) so not sure if having the milk a bit cooler will work for you.

However, I think persistence is they key.

thanks again (and izzys mum). brought another teat that looks more like a nipple, tried it this am, her last feed was 9.30 last night so you'd think she'd be hungry, I had my partners dressing gown on... wouldn't have a bar of it.
my partner has tried again at lunch time, apparently no go (I left). will have a look at Tomee tippee. I did try some formula in her cereal the other day and hardly ate any.
might try some expressed milk in bottle to at lest get her to take a bottle or might try a cup....ahhhh!
thanks again for your ideas guys.
Sign in to follow this topic