Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Breastfeeding in public.. Lock Rss

Does anyone else? Or are you all happy to just whip it out regardless of who's looking?

I remember it not being a problem at all with dd, I fed her wherever I was. This time I feel really self-conscious and I have no idea why!! I've been using a wrap to cover up so no one can see anything, but it just feels really odd and I feel tense.

Yesterday he needed a feed while at the doctors clinic - we were waiting to get his immunisations and he really couldn't wait any longer. The chairs are in a big square facing inwards, and the man sitting to the right of me just kept staring! It wasn't a disgusted stare or anything, more like he was just really curious or something.... and it just added to my discomfort of feeding in public!

Bubs has a high palate so he does tend to slip off a fair bit and makes a lot of noise while feeding... and I'm always a bit conscious that it draws attention to the fact that I'm feeding.

Do you get over this eventually?

With DD in the beginning, I'd make sure she was fed a lot before I went out. But then as time went on, I got more confident and just made sure I was completely covered when she fed.
Before I had children I was at the supermarket and saw a friend who had her friend with her. Her friend had a 1yr old who was being BF. My friend said to her friend 'oh put it away, don't do that here' and her friend said,' My baby is hungry and if it wants to be fed I am going to do it'. This was one of those moments for me that was life changing- even though it was small- and I decided that that was what I wanted to be like when I had children.

I have never had a problem with BFing anywhere. When I fed my children I tryed to be considerate of others but sometimes a bit of breast gets shown. The one time that I decided to keep covered was at a funeral and I chose a top that had a flowing top over a singet... like a poncho but classy, my baby just slotted between the fabrics.

But if it is something that concerns you for now maybe look into covers that you can use to BF with, I hear there are great designs these days

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

Yep I have done it in the car a few times. Our town doesn't have anywhere more private to feed... if you go shopping there's not even a seat anywhere that's not on the footpath out in the open cold air.

Sometimes it's just unavoidable but - I live a bit of a drive from town, so I always try and get everything done after the school drop off seeing as I'm already there. Sometimes this takes up half the day though and often I've got the pram out to walk around everywhere as it's easier than putting bubs in and out the car. So if the car is a long way away it has to be wherever we are.

Anyway, I guess it's something I'll just have to get used to! I could express but do you have to keep the milk cold? There's nowhere to warm it up here.

With my oldest i didn't care has long has i was covered up. But i had a old lady come up to me when i was burping him saying to him you're mummy doesn't feed you does she.

With little man i felt more safe to do it in the car, where i could relax and feel like i didn't have anyone trying to have a look.
Now that little man has a bottle we still sit in the car, if he gets his attention broken i have trouble getting him to drink his booby milk.
When i have my 3rd who knows how i go.

I loooooved my hug-a-bub for bf in public! Once DS had the hang of it and could attach himself, I could walk around the shops hands-free feeding and nobody looked twice because they can't see what's going on inside the carrier.

Once a service asst. at a toy store came to have a peek at bub and she was amazed! She apologised and said she had no idea I was feeding, but it didn't bother me, I thought it was funny smile

i was a bit funny about it with DD when she was a bub for the first couple on months, this time around with #3 i just pop him on whenever, whereever and it doesnt bother me at all...BUT hes a great feeder and rarely pulls off and he feeds super quick too so im all done both sides in less then 10mins. i often pop him on a boob and carry him in one arm and push the trolley with the other one if hes hungry while im shopping lol
Second the hugabub!

i was a bit funny about it with DD when she was a bub for the first couple on months, this time around with #3 i just pop him on whenever, whereever and it doesnt bother me at all...BUT hes a great feeder and rarely pulls off and he feeds super quick too so im all done both sides in less then 10mins. i often pop him on a boob and carry him in one arm and push the trolley with the other one if hes hungry while im shopping lol

wow!! That's quite efficient of you! I can't imagine being able to walk around while feeding! lol - I would have milk all down my front by the time he had finished hopping on and off grin

Nai&Beau that's what happens with me too... he quite often slips on and off anyway because of his high palate but it's even worse in public and he gets quite upset!

Will have to have a look at these hug a bub things.

I never felt comfortable in public, there was also nowhere in my town to feed other than the car, oh and the local florist is a family friend, so I could feed DS out the back of her shop, which was really good. But, maybe I would have been more comfortable if DS could feel well and quickly, we had to have a nipple shield, he'd forever come off and up til about 5-6 months old, every feed would take about an hour.
Just had a look at the hugabub slings... it looks like they're sitting upright - how on earth do you feed them like that? I don't have pert little boobies that sit up high ready for a feed! lol

Sign in to follow this topic