Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Breastfeeding in public.. Lock Rss

I could never feed in public but I admire women who do.

I could never get much expressing either so we did everthing around being home for feeds, which was fine after a while. Once I stopped worrying about expressing everthing was easy.

It took me a long time to even feed in front of my own mother and sister. And I could never feed in front of DH's mum and dad, much to their annoyance.

IF (that's a big IF) I had another I think I would be the same.

Just had a look at the hugabub slings... it looks like they're sitting upright - how on earth do you feed them like that? I don't have pert little boobies that sit up high ready for a feed! lol

You could put him in the 'pea pod' position where he would be laying - like he probably is when you feed now?

They come with an instructional dvd and have all the positions but if you jump on youtube you should be able to find some videos to show you what I mean... smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgyY8T2oLBw
Hi Chalys,

I often read your posts and I spin out at how similar your experiences are to mine!!

Anyway - Yes, I feel the same way. I wish I could confidently and quickly attach my DS in public. I watch my friends do it and they make it look so easy. I still feel the need to cup my breast to guide the nipple in his mouth and it takes me a while to get it right.

I first tried covering myself with a wrap but in order to do that, I had to put the wrap over my head to to completely hide myself until he attached. Not only did I look absolutely ridiculous (I was watching DS playing soccer on the sidelines at the time) but it was tremendously awkward - not to mention messing up my hair!

I then bought a cover which is a LOT easier. It's kind of like an apron. It goes around my neck and gapes in front so I can easily see what is going on.

I still wish I didn't have to use that though.

Another funny experience I had was when I was BF my baby in the carpark of DS school. I was in the front seat of the car with my apron on. I should have sat in the passenger seat but no - i sat on the drivers side. I was trying to be so discrete as parked opposite me was a guy in the car. I accidently honked my horn!!! Talk about trying to be discrete -- Not!!!
I dont really get uncomfortable when bf in public, but then i went skydiving naked so every1 already seen my boobs lol but i can understand it making other people uncomfortable - as in like if i was to start bf- ing at a ( male) friends house or even a friend who hasnt had kids house it would maybe make them uncomfortable. Not knowing where to look etc, so i understand that and compensate accordingly ( for them not for me)

Another funny experience I had was when I was BF my baby in the carpark of DS school. I was in the front seat of the car with my apron on. I should have sat in the passenger seat but no - i sat on the drivers side. I was trying to be so discrete as parked opposite me was a guy in the car. I accidently honked my horn!!! Talk about trying to be discrete -- Not!!!

I have done exactly this too - LOL
wasnt so funny at the time!

I was very self conscious with my first and by the time I was up to DD2, I really didn't care. I used to keep a couple of big muslin wraps with me at all times so I could drape one over my shoulder and bubs, in case she kept coming off. Maybe it's just becasue he slips off a lot like you said, but that could all change as he gets older and more used to feeding.
smile

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

when I was pregnant I thought I would have been really self conscious and wasn't even really keen to feed in front of my family or friends, but as soon as the baby was born I really didn't care! (which was a bit weird as I have always been a bit of a body conscious person). I think it was because it was so important to feed my baby when he was hungry that it was about him and not me and whether someone was looking at my boobs. Breastfeeding is such an amazing and wonderful thing that I can do for my baby, that I am proud whenever I am feeding him as it is directly because of me that he is growing and healthy.

I have fed him pulled over on the side of the road, in food courts, outside Big W, at the train station, on the tram etc etc. When I attending a breastfeeding class the instructor said that many women these days are unsure about breastfeeding and this may be because many have not been exposed to it so it is somewhat of an unknown. So I must confess, that when I am feeding my baby in public I also see it as somewhat of a community service and hope that perhaps it might inspire other young women to consider feeding when they have babies on their own.
I'm not really concerned or embarrassed by people seeing my breasts. My issue is other people's possible negative reactions to it. Even my family (parents) are uncomfortable with me doing it without a cover. That said, when people are visiting me at home, I get them out without a cover. I don't care what people think when I'm at home.
Zachnleonsmum - the wrap over the head made me giggle! Lol

Well I took some ebm out with me last night as we went out to tea with friends... and of course he flatly refused it. I'm just going to have to get used to it... I especially dislike doing it with people sitting that close to me. I really don't know why...

One of my friends said 'put them away!' And then had a big laugh. She was only joking but it draws attention to the fact I'm bfing and really annoys me. It's not like they can see anything.

Might have to look into getting either the sling or that apron thing. The wrap is ok but it slips off easily.

I felt a little uncomfy while feeding in public lucky for me there is a lot of parenting rooms in my town unless i am at the docs or waiting for an appontment i will feed her there i try to keep covered as much as possable

when I was pregnant I thought I would have been really self conscious and wasn't even really keen to feed in front of my family or friends, but as soon as the baby was born I really didn't care! (which was a bit weird as I have always been a bit of a body conscious person). I think it was because it was so important to feed my baby when he was hungry that it was about him and not me and whether someone was looking at my boobs. Breastfeeding is such an amazing and wonderful thing that I can do for my baby, that I am proud whenever I am feeding him as it is directly because of me that he is growing and healthy.

I have fed him pulled over on the side of the road, in food courts, outside Big W, at the train station, on the tram etc etc. When I attending a breastfeeding class the instructor said that many women these days are unsure about breastfeeding and this may be because many have not been exposed to it so it is somewhat of an unknown. So I must confess, that when I am feeding my baby in public I also see it as somewhat of a community service and hope that perhaps it might inspire other young women to consider feeding when they have babies on their own.

Love this! I feel the same. At the end of the day you have to remind yourself that breasts are for breast feeding, not just sex. Get it out there and get everyone used to it again!
Since you're now a mom, there's nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public. I've been there before. Everything at first feels so awkward but you will eventually get used to that. Cheering up all of the moms out there!
Sign in to follow this topic