Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. Breast Pump Recomendations?

Breast Pump Recomendations? Lock Rss

Hi Everyone,

I've just found out im pregnant with my 2nd child and I need a good breast pump. I had an Avent manual pump with my first child and found it quite useless. I was thinking of getting an electronic one this time but I has someone else say they had one and it was useless as well and found the tommy tippee manual pump a lot better. Has anyone got any suggestions for a decent pump? Can't afford anything too expensive as I'm a single mum. Thank you all in advance.

Jade

Hi Jade,

I just purchased a Unimom Allegro Electric Breast Pump and it's fantastic.

http://www.unimom.com.au/Breast-pumps

http://www.baybeebluemountains.com/Sale.html
Medela Swing gets good ratings. New it's around 300 but there are often second hand ones in good condition on ebay for about 150 and you can buy all the parts that come in contact with milk seperate so the second hand ones are safe to use. I have a medela freestyle (the double version) it was really expensive but it's been brilliant. I had other cheaper ones and I found I got what I paid for. Consider a better quality pump bought second hand

Another alternative is to hire one, some places do quite reasonable hire prices and as it's a weekly cost it's more affordable than outlaying a huge amount on a pump that may or may not be suitable for you

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

I used the Avent electronic one and liked it, but didn't like it on manual, like you.

Two other mums in mothers' group were also okay with it... But so much of it is personal so it's hard to give advice!

Had it all packed away, thinking it'll be aaages til I need this... Then got pregnant again when DD was 10 months old! Time to dust it off!
Hi there,
I used a NUK electric breast pump first time round and within a week it packed a sad and wouldn't work properly anymore (The suction was extremely weak) So i wouldn't recommend that brand at all. I then moved on to the one you used for your first. Luckily it worked well for me. But I have heard Medela is great. Good luck smile

I have the Avent electric pump and I love it. Was given an Avent manual but it was way too much work for little return. The electric is super easy to use and all the Avent bottles I have fit the pump.
I bought the Medela Electric pump when I had DD and I love it. I even brought it from South Africa to Australia when we moved here so I'd have it for our next bub. So glad I did smile
Has anyone used the Medela manual pump? Curious as I want a pump just for occasional use and don't want to spend lots on an electric one...

Has anyone used the Medela manual pump? Curious as I want a pump just for occasional use and don't want to spend lots on an electric one...

I could be wrong but I think the manual pumps tend to be more or less the same. They are good for infrequent use and also if you don't have any trouble achieving a let down, however many people can't pump much milk because they are unable to stimulate that reflex without baby suckling or without the help of a good electric pump. I had an Avent manual first and I could get a good amount if I used it on one side while feeding baby on the other but I could rarely get much if I was pumping alone. That is why I chose to get an electric pump and the medela brand is very good because it has a 2 phase pumping action that stimulates let down.

So if you are one of those people that spray milk every time you hear a baby cry then you won't have issues using a manual pump but if you're like me and need the physical stimulation as well then you probably won't get much return with a manual. Hope that helps answer your question smile

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

I have the Avent electric pump and I love it.

I agree. I use mine every day and still really love it. It is very simple to use. I hadnt ever used a manual pump, but had a tommee tippee with my first two and although i though it was good it has nothing on the avent one!! I would defintely recommend electric!! So very much easier. Mine have these little dishes that you can attach and freeze so there is no mess smile
I'm using the Avent - manual/electric - I don't really use the manual setting. I love it and found it to be a good price. Easy to use and clean as well.

I could be wrong but I think the manual pumps tend to be more or less the same. They are good for infrequent use and also if you don't have any trouble achieving a let down, however many people can't pump much milk because they are unable to stimulate that reflex without baby suckling or without the help of a good electric pump. I had an Avent manual first and I could get a good amount if I used it on one side while feeding baby on the other but I could rarely get much if I was pumping alone. That is why I chose to get an electric pump and the medela brand is very good because it has a 2 phase pumping action that stimulates let down.

So if you are one of those people that spray milk every time you hear a baby cry then you won't have issues using a manual pump but if you're like me and need the physical stimulation as well then you probably won't get much return with a manual. Hope that helps answer your question smile

Thanks heaps! : )
Sign in to follow this topic