Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Breast and Bottle Feeding
  5. People who dont like breast feeding should get over it!!!!!!

People who dont like breast feeding should get over it!!!!!! Lock Rss

Yep! It all comes down to give and take!

Women have every right to BF in public but others also have the right not to have boobs flashed in their face!

I personally am too paranoid to BF in public but good on those who do, just be descreet where possible!

I will contact foodstuffs, and make them aware if not for me for others BF mums should not be isolated into feeling there doing wrong, I am not a cover over person but I do try to show as little as possible usually you mostly see babies head
SunMoonStars wrote:
well that goes both ways, hun. not everyone is comfortable with bf. i agree that you need to bf your baby when hungry but maybe be more discrete about it or go somewhere more private.

my dh was at work and a lady with a baby in a sling came up to the counter and he went to serve her she just took her boob out and was trying to latch baby on WHILE MY DH WAS SERVING HER! he felt so uncomfortable. it great that your pround of bf but i do think it should be done in a discrete way that doesn't make other feel uncomfortable.
I tend to disagree with this. Firstly, the only way societies views on bf will change is if they actually see people do it. Secondly people are uncomfortable at different levels. Some think that feeding is exposing all, even though they can see nothing. They are uncomfortable just because they know what you are doing and think you should go elsewhere. Thirdly, its not my responsibility to fulfill someone elses insecurities. If my baby needs to be fed, I will feed them. i will not go and hide, I will not cover myself in a blanket or wear some weird looking baby sombrero on the off chance that someone may see a tiny bit of my skin at the same time that I am feeding. If someone rocked up in a bikini top, the public would see far more and there would be no complaints. Its the knowledge of what is happening that makes people uncomfortable, not what they can see. wink
boofarama wrote:
Yep! It all comes down to give and take!

Women have every right to BF in public but others also have the right not to have boobs flashed in their face!

!

I have never ever seen anyone bf flash their boobs in someones face. I think its one of those urban myths. There is always a story of a friend that does it, but realistically there are people feeding and you probably haven't even noticed. Just because the odd person knocks the odd person over when she flops both her boobs out in the shopping centre while she walks around shopping for her hemp dishwashing detergent, it doesn't mean that its a common thing. I certainly have never seen it and I am around a lot of bf women.
SammyAhh-boo wrote:
Little Miss's wrote:
SunMoonStars wrote:
well that goes both ways, hun. not everyone is comfortable with bf. i agree that you need to bf your baby when hungry but maybe be more discrete about it or go somewhere more private.my dh was at work and a lady with a baby in a sling came up to the counter and he went to serve her she just took her boob out and was trying to latch baby on WHILE MY DH WAS SERVING HER! he felt so uncomfortable. it great that your pround of bf but i do think it should be done in a discrete way that doesn't make other feel uncomfortable.

I don't think you have to think about others at all. If you are comfortable then that's all that matters. People wear clothes that are way too revealing and I'd love to go up to them and say something about it making me uncomfortable that I can see everything under the ridiculously short dress but I can't. Same goes for BF. it you are uncomfortable just look away.

I think that you do have to think about others. I think that feeding your baby in public is a right and noone should be able to tell you not to, but I have to say, I have friends who feed their baby in from of me without showing their breast too much and another who just whips it out, no coverage at all and goes right ahead. I feel very uncomfortable when she does that but I dont feel uncomfortable when my discrete friend does it. But in saying that I dont know all that many women who would feel as comfortable as her at showing the girls around either smile
Have you questioned why you are uncomfortable. Often it is assumed its the fault of the person with the boobs. But why? Its just a boob... In other cultures they don't cover them. In places like Europe, they are everywhere! I think we need to question why we are so afraid of it. Arms don't make us uncomfortable, neither do legs or necks. We aren't uncomfortable at the beach where people are essentially in waterproof bras and undies - yet at the shops if they wore them heaven forbid!
I think the problem lies with our own issues with nudity moreso then the women who are actually ok with themselves.
yes what the store did is illegal both in NZ and in Aus, im sorry you had to deal with that sort of crap.

personally i dont think women should 'have to cover up' or 'be discreet' sometimes you simply cant be..i know ive often got a hungry fussy bub who for whatever reason is being uncooperative and i might flash some boob here or there. honestly...if you dont like me feeding my baby..go somewhere else or dont look. ive told people as much in the past. its mine and my babies basic right to feed wherever and whenever needed and i will feed if i need to. i think saying that mums need to be mindful of others is backwards and wrong.

obviously i dont agree with public nudity, so taking your entire top off is just stupid and not necessary, but i will not throw a towel over my feeding bub just so you dont feel a bit uncomfortable..people who feel uncomfortable with mums bf need to grow up and get their heads out of the dark ages.

i know im opening a can of worms here but it really irks me. just this morning i was at the chemist and in a rush but bub was due for a feed so i fed him whist i was talking to the staff member helping me. yes i was standing, yes i was in the isles..heaven forbid i wasnt locked in the smelly dirty parents room down the other end of the center. *sigh* will this society ever move forward?
gypsy kylz wrote:
yes what the store did is illegal both in NZ and in Aus, im sorry you had to deal with that sort of crap.

personally i dont think women should 'have to cover up' or 'be discreet' sometimes you simply cant be..i know ive often got a hungry fussy bub who for whatever reason is being uncooperative and i might flash some boob here or there. honestly...if you dont like me feeding my baby..go somewhere else or dont look. ive told people as much in the past. its mine and my babies basic right to feed wherever and whenever needed and i will feed if i need to. i think saying that mums need to be mindful of others is backwards and wrong.

obviously i dont agree with public nudity, so taking your entire top off is just stupid and not necessary, but i will not throw a towel over my feeding bub just so you dont feel a bit uncomfortable..people who feel uncomfortable with mums bf need to grow up and get their heads out of the dark ages.

i know im opening a can of worms here but it really irks me. just this morning i was at the chemist and in a rush but bub was due for a feed so i fed him whist i was talking to the staff member helping me. yes i was standing, yes i was in the isles..heaven forbid i wasnt locked in the smelly dirty parents room down the other end of the center. *sigh* will this society ever move forward?

I am like you, I have on several occasions done my entire supermarket shopping while carrying a feeding baby in one arm and pushing the trolley with the other grin

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

gypsy kylz wrote:

I agree with your post. (even the deleted bits. lol)

Just wanted to say to this, in France we were up in the mountains at a lake. There was a high school excursion and most of the kids had their tops off and were sunbathing. I was gobsmacked. They must have been there for a couple of hours, eating lunch and most were half naked...... thats when I realised how different societies views of acceptable were.

As a disclaimer...I am extremely uncomfortable about my own nudity! Even with naturist friends and naturist IL, I struggle even to wear nothing between the bathroom and bedroom. However whenever I am uncomfortable I tend to assign the blame to myself and delve into it, rather then automatically assume the other person is too much of an exhibitionist.
BellyDancingDanni wrote:
gypsy kylz wrote:

I am like you, I have on several occasions done my entire supermarket shopping while carrying a feeding baby in one arm and pushing the trolley with the other grin
lol. mine was at the airport in the queue.
Didn't want to quote all that but big fat + 1 to oc how is there anything wrong about a mother feeding her baby its a beauitiful thing not some seedy act.

I didnt actually speak to her a staff member came to me after she had complained. I was not BF at that time I had finshed boob put away. staff man approached me and asked me to stop or cover up while feeding and I said no she can get F..... I told him to tell her to get... and I used that word because I was so bloody annoyed. a recent case a BF mum sued a lady for similar. I dont ask ugly people to cover up or special needs to stay out of society because it makes people feel uncomfortable..... example only they dont I have nursed them for years. the point is she was Rude I love BF and am lucky to be able many can't
My childdren have had the best start in life I can give none of them have allergies of food type and great skin no intolerances and its all thanks to BF and I Will continue this will not break me
Being a nurse that has seen more penises than a hooker and boobs on a daily basis for a few years it doesn't bother me one bit to see someone feeding. The more you see it the more used to it you become. I could watch a naked man streaking at the park and it would not shock me, I'd just laugh at the reactions of others. Therefore if people fed openly in public more it would become acceptable. I actually rarely see women bf in public.

Even though I am not shockable when looking at others I have felt uncomfortable feeding in public myself when starting out with this bubba. I'm all good now and can feed anywhere, but I'm careful not to flash everybody, because that would make ME uncomfortable.

Everyone has such different opinions.

Sign in to follow this topic